Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14589059 02/20/20
W
wdenike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
What recommendation for the absolute quietest low profile muffs? Thanks!

Take care, Willie

Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty.
GB1

W
wdenike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Posted this in the wrong place. But I'm sure it'll get plenty of exposure here sorry guys .

Take care, Willie

Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Only experience I have is with Pro ears Stalkers for hunting, .I have used them for a few years and they work well. I do not use them at the range, I have at least 1/2 dozen different kinds and use foam plugs under them.

W
wdenike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I was trying to avoid the plugs. But possibly tone the muzzle blast more than the plugs. Wondering if that is even possible.

Take care, Willie

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Absolute quietest will be a combination of the best muffs and the best fit. They all have a list Noise Redution Rating so getting the pair with the highest value, in theory, would suggest the best reduction. But, and that's a big but, the fit is nearly as important. Gel pads improve the fit.

Some have a concern with too much noise reduction not allowing individuals to hear range commands - saw this happen last night. The electronic models address this issue.

Muffs can get too large and prevent cheek contact on a rifle.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wdenike
I was trying to avoid the plugs. But possibly tone the muzzle blast more than the plugs. Wondering if that is even possible.

Take care, Willie

Answer to that and low profile is NO. Howard Leights are about the lowest profile out there but only offer 23-24 dB reduction. Have a pair they get very uncomfortable on warm days and do interfere with cheek weld on some rifles. The other thing about muffs is that if you wear glasses you don’t get a perfect seal which lowers the dB rating.
For the range anymore since I am retired and avoid crowds I use ISO Tunes Pro which are OSHA approved Bluetooth plugs that have 28 dB reduction and allows me to listen to music or receive a phone call. For a match I just leave the music off for range commands.

Swifty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If the low profile is a definite (is for me), then ear plugs of your choice and shotgun muffs is pretty darn quiet. Do not believe there is a superlative lo-pro shotgun muff out there; all pretty similar, just preference.

The lo-pro Pro Ears are good, use a lot, but not near as quiet as lo-tech solution above if neighbors blasting away under a roof.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is this for range use or hunting? In either case I don’t think low profile muffs are going to be as good as a quality ear plug that is properly installed.

For range use with short rifles or indoors I usually go with plugs snd then low profile electronic muffs over them. If I turn up the electronic muffs I can hear enough to communicate.

For hunting I just wear electronic muffs. Keeps my ears warm and provides protection for the handful of shots I may end up taking in a day.

W
wdenike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
We shoot on private property. So no range aggravation. Just was hoping to find something as good as plugs. So didn't have to pull them out constantly to talk to one an other. Thanks for the other replies.

Take care, Willie

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have pretty significant hearing loss and can't tolerate shooting without protection. I recently bought a pair of these and I am super impressed with them. I wear these under a low profile set of ear muffs because I want all the protection I can get with my hearing loss, but these are great on their own. I have several pair now. In all my packs and a pair in my truck.

https://www.decibullz.com/hearing-protection/

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a pair of Peltor 500 Tactical muffs a couple of months back and have been very impressed with them. They aren't my idea of low profile but they reduce noise really well, magnify ambient noise and you can even pair them with your phone.

https://www.amazon.com/Peltor-Electronic-Protector-Bluetooth-Protection/dp/B06W56YRWJ

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Woodhits
I bought a pair of Peltor 500 Tactical muffs a couple of months back and have been very impressed with them. They aren't my idea of low profile but they reduce noise really well, magnify ambient noise and you can even pair them with your phone.

https://www.amazon.com/Peltor-Electronic-Protector-Bluetooth-Protection/dp/B06W56YRWJ

Have these also and am happy with them

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Custom poured plugs, foam plugs, then everything else. In that order. Find an audiologist and have it done right.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have peltor muffs. They work well!

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think I borrowed every electronic ear muff on the market for testing when I was in the market.

Peltor was the most comfortable by for me.

Also, I'd recommend buying from a company that markets INDUSTRIAL hearing protection. They will lots of independent test certificates showing exactly what you can expect, and you will be able to get parts to service the muffs years and years later.

Don't buy muffs marketed by a gun company -- they will have been made by who-knows-who and simply rebranded with the gun company's name. A lot of these provide much lower hearing protection than they claim -- hence my recommendation for industrial hearing protection.

Peltor is great for industrial hearing protection, but there are others (Uvex, Honeywell Industrial Safety...)

John

W
wdenike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks a lot for replies!!!

Take care, Willie

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Ear muffs will attenuate the noise, but do not off the concussive protection that plugs do. For high volume shooting, plugs should be the first route, then muffs in combo when feasible.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jdunham
I have pretty significant hearing loss and can't tolerate shooting without protection. I recently bought a pair of these and I am super impressed with them. I wear these under a low profile set of ear muffs because I want all the protection I can get with my hearing loss, but these are great on their own. I have several pair now. In all my packs and a pair in my truck.

https://www.decibullz.com/hearing-protection/

Which model??

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Just the $25.99 Custom molded model. I was surprised how well they molded to me ears. Sportsman’s Warehouse has them. I see the percussive model on the website, they may be an even better model but I haven’t tried those yet. I may give a pair a spin.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by wdenike
We shoot on private property. So no range aggravation. Just was hoping to find something as good as plugs. So didn't have to pull them out constantly to talk to one an other. Thanks for the other replies.

Take care, Willie

Try the surefire sonic defender series. They are plugs with some sort of passive valve that lets low sounds through but cuts off big ones. I have several pair as they are only about $15 on Amazon. I wear them hunting, for clays, and at the range and have no problems holding a conversation with them in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 65 invisible), 2,885 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,707
Posts18,456,861
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.