Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Please fill me in. Why the lack of respect for the Work of Paul?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Who doesn't respect his work?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Stay close, Sig, you might see.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

You took the words from my mouth.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When people don't like the message the knee jerk reaction is to attack the messenger.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Ignorance on multiple levels combined with a great deal of arrogance. Just wait for it to be on full display.

Last edited by RJY66; 02/20/20.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by RJY66

Ignorance on multiple levels combined with a great deal of arrogance. Just wait for it to be on full display.

Please explain.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RJY66

I can't help but LOL and +1. You'll even see this most eminent of Jewish scholars be accused of paganism. laugh

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Because they don't like to hear it like it is. Paul was hand picked by Jesus to go to the Gentiles. Jesus knew Paul inside and out and knew he could get the job done. Paul could be caustic but his words were those that Jesus wanted said. As a result, many people don't like him. They fear the truth and Paul piled the truth on them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll be honest here. I've never been a huge fan of Paul. It took until I was an adult to get it sorted out. I finally realized what was causing it. It's somewhat the same thing with TV Evangelists. I always felt an affinity for Billy Graham. I never could warm up to a host of others. Some ministers rub me the wrong way. Paul did. Others I could go on all day listening to. John Wesley's sermons, for example, have really gripped me.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Paul stands head and shoulders above all the Apostles and Jesus chose him to go and preach the Gospel far and wide. Sure he would be the most hated one today, all in Gods plan and he don't make mistakes....He saw it coming 2000 years ago and surely he not surprised, like many of us. Just sit back and grab a bag of popcorn and enjoy all the heads implode the rest of the days of your life.

O.B.Wallace
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

There was a particularly vocal guy here... I can’t remember his screen name but he hasn’t been around for a while... he is sort of an Anabaptist as near as I can tell. Anabaptists don’t have a high view of Scripture and viewed Paul’s teaching as out of synch which what Christ said in the Gospels.

I was never able to decipher how we know whether that assertion re: Paul is true if Scripture isn’t to be trusted since that’s where we learn what Christ said.

There’ll be adherents if Higher Critical schools along shortly to tell us what a farce all of Scripture is...

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Paul exalts Jesus Christ and his work in the salvation of men's souls, and he puts down man's vain attempts to save himself by his own good works. People want to think there is some good in them to merit God's love and grace. Paul shows in no uncertain terms that our works are dead. Ephesians 2:8-9, Titus 3:5 are prime examples.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Why the incessant need to start religious threads?
You know how they are going to end.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

You took the words from my mouth.
apparently “pastor” missy

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
“Yee all know that when men run in a race that the race is for all but victory for only one. Therefore run yee for victory!”

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Because they don't like to hear it like it is. Paul was hand picked by Jesus to go to the Gentiles. Jesus knew Paul inside and out and knew he could get the job done. Paul could be caustic but his words were those that Jesus wanted said. As a result, many people don't like him. They fear the truth and Paul piled the truth on them.

Sounds like first century Trump.

I was a bit perplexed at the original question but a few answers here helped. The Shootist- thanks for that succinct explanation.

I am not the biblical scholar others here (thankfully) are and haven't a clue how to identify tenants of various sects etc.... How EFW knows what an anabaptist is just amazes me. Although a bit slow I can at least surmise his reference to "adherents of Higher Critical schools" are those who attend the church of 'self' when it comes to deity and the same folks alluded to by Wabigoon.

In the last religious thread that turned in to the argument I suggested if debate was sought then identify the thread in such a manner. Where a title clearly invites response from Christians- atheist should respect that.

This thread titles does seem one where the atheists might feel invited so I can't say they would be peeing uninvited on Christian Cornflakes for making an entrance on this one. Just hoping both sides can be civil and maybe Christians would not respond evidently so......Paul- like? ( See even I can learn)

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As a Baptist, we're pretty much supposed to agree with everything Paul wrote about. While I don't question his message, I do at times believe that we need to bear in mind that we are not living in Biblical times anymore. The world has changed considerably since Paul's day, and we must learn to adapt ourselves to the times we live it.

I'm sure my words will be twisted around by someone, but I don't give a chit........because I believe there are more important things than limiting one's faith based strictly upon the writings of Paul.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

Against the gospels and what Jesus said, Paul seems to have invented "Gentile Christianity". At least that's the accusation, particularly by folks who can't relate Jesus' words and the way church is now done. Paul/Saul was designated an apostle "as of one born out of time", by Jesus himself. How? Road to Damascus conversion experience and thirteen years in Arabia, where he was taught the gospel he had to explain to the Jerusalem elders upon his return. (An apostle had to be an eyewitness of the risen LORD.)

People take the epistles Paul wrote as he spread this gospel to be outside of Jesus' words, particularly about church matters. They'd prefer sticking with the Sermon on the Mount "beatitudes" as how Christians are to live and evangelize. Timothy, Paul's protege, was reminded the gospel Paul preached could be summarized thus. "Never forget that Jesus Christ was a man born into King David's family and that he was raised from the dead. This is the Good News I preach." 2 Timothy 2:8 NLV. (Sounds pretty close to what Jesus was all about.)

Last edited by agazain; 02/20/20.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Paul, more than any other, fleshed out the doctrine of Christianity. So much so that many of the irreligious say that he “invented” Christianity. Discredit Paul, and you can go a long way towards making Jesus anything you want to make him depending on your motivation.

That’s why Paul is hated. He was the first standard bearer of orthodox Christian dogma.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (6mmbrfan, 14idaho, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 12 invisible), 1,554 guests, and 779 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.