Print Thread
Hop To
O
OAM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
I don't go into the sound very often. Most of my time is spent in Homer, Seward, and Kodiak. I really want to deer hunt this fall in the northern sound. My boat is a 21' bayrunner with a 50hp yamaha and a 3.5hp kicker. Three of us are in the early phases of planning this trip. Being 21' I'm not wanting to go as far as Knight island. Has anybody ever hunted Culross, Perry, or Esther islands for deer? Was it successful?
I've found some really interesting research on the deer population but nothing specific to any islands other than Hawkins, Green, and Montague islands. I have read that the population fluctuates largely based on the winters snowfall. Maybe thats why there isnt anything firm related to population on outlying islands. This is a great article but if anyone knows any good links I would love to see them. Thanks.
http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wildlifenews.view_article&articles_id=799

Last edited by OAM; 02/20/20.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

50 or 150 HP main engine?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
No way it could be a 50?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I've hunted PWS for 30yrs, esther island has deer but their pretty lonely, southern end of culross has a fair population, perry has a few pockets. Closest good population is naked island group but they get hit pretty hard so can be spooky. Watch the weather, be equipped to be stuck a while waiting for a break and your boat will do fine. Green island after nov 1st is a good choice.

O
OAM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by rost495
No way it could be a 50?

It is 50hp. Kenai river has a 50 max horsepower so there are alot of us that are a little underpowered just so we have the Kenai river option. That why im not running a 90 or 110hp. Its does just fine though. Gets on step immediately and cruises at 26kt. Also its a bayrunner, not baylinner.

Last edited by OAM; 02/20/20.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OAM
Originally Posted by rost495
No way it could be a 50?

It is 50hp. Kenai river has a 50 max horsepower so there are alot of us that are a little underpowered just so we have the Kenai river option. That why im not running a 90 or 110hp. Its does just fine though. Gets on step immediately and cruises at 26kt. Also its a bayrunner, not baylinner.

Very important distinction...

As the Old joke goes... only two things you cannot get rid of... herpes and an old Bayliner.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Tag

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hunted the sound once in my 23' Tolman with a 140 hp. Long story short, a friend came up from the lowe 48 for three weeks, we had a three day weather window and made it out to Disk Island. First night it rained 6". When that storm finally blew through, we made it back, which included driving every wave on the way back to Culross and taking some green water over the bow.

IMHO, it isn't prudent to plan taking anything under a 28 footer with twin 200's or better yet twin 250's through Well's Passage in the fall. You might get a whether window, then again you might not. Same on the return.

Three people adults with hunting gear on a 21' skiff with a 50 horse is a bad plan for hunting PWS. It's a marginal boat for three people to fish on a blue bird day in the sound.

O
OAM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I hunted the sound once in my 23' Tolman with a 140 hp. Long story short, a friend came up from the lowe 48 for three weeks, we had a three day weather window and made it out to Disk Island. First night it rained 6". When that storm finally blew through, we made it back, which included driving every wave on the way back to Culross and taking some green water over the bow.

IMHO, it isn't prudent to plan taking anything under a 28 footer with twin 200's or better yet twin 250's through Well's Passage in the fall. You might get a whether window, then again you might not. Same on the return.

Three people adults with hunting gear on a 21' skiff with a 50 horse is a bad plan for hunting PWS. It's a marginal boat for three people to fish on a blue bird day in the sound.

Ive taken it twice to kings bay. Which is further the the islands I'm looking at hunting. Im no stranger to hiding from weather. We are going to pick the right day and give ourselves a couple day buffer for the return. I know its not a perfect situation but there are always bays to hide in. The only problem would be if a north wind blew for two weeks (I know it can happen). Then we wouldnt be able to come out of Culross passage until it let up. I appreciate your concern. My question was about deer populations on Culross, Perry, and Esther islands.

Last edited by OAM; 02/23/20.
J
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
J
Took 2 on the west side of Naked late October. Plenty of sign, no snow, so deer are a challenge, did ok twice on Hinch, late November. Typically more deer on the east side, depending on past winters. Boat sounds pretty minimal... no place to be when it turns snotty.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Had decent luck on Naked after Dec 1 in 2011... shoot, that was a while ago! My experiences probably don’t mirror the current situation but it was not difficult to locate deer on either Naked or Green.

I would echo the cautionary note on vessel capabilities.

V/r,
John

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (6mmCreedmoor, 1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 16 invisible), 1,608 guests, and 948 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.