Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by tzone
Looking to have a rifle built in the next year or so. It's going to be a Model 70 action. I have my eye on a potential donor.

At first I was thinking .257Wby Mag. But .338 has had my attention for some reason. I don't need either one of them for anything particular. But I could see a use for each one certainly.

I'm thinking I'd want the .257 to be a bit lighter, easier to carry, walking around type rifle. Shooting across swamps or poking at deer out west.

The.338 would be an all around type rifle. Could be stand hunting WT deer, could be hunting thick stuff for snowshoe hairs. Neither would be at game further than 400 yds and hopefully...a lot closer. Which kinda leans .338 but I like both. laugh

Too small for snowshoe hares. smile

My vote is for the .338 WM.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
BP-B6

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
340 bee 🐝

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by mathman
I'll do the Campfire thing and suggest something you didn't ask about. Given your choice of cartridges I'll assume your donor is already set up for a belted mag diameter case. So how about a 264 mag with an 8" twist?

That has crossed my mind. What is the shortest barrel length I can have and still be effective? I have a CM for slow poke 6.5 stuff

Camp is where you make it.
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by beretzs
I like the 338 Win a bunch. Great elk rifle for me and packs pretty decently as well. I usually shoot 200-210’s around 2950-3000 FPS. Works great for me. It’s not any better than a 300 Magnum but I like the rifle a lot and it’s comfortable to shoot for me. Between it and my 7mm Mashburn Super, they get the lions share of hunting for deer and elk.

A 257 Wby or similar would be pretty slick on a lightweight 70 as well. Tough choice.. I say build both grin

I would love to. My pocketbook won’t allow it at this time.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Fotis
340 bee 🐝

Had one of those built on a 70 Classic stainless.

Sold it.

Shouldn't have.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd vote for the 257, The 338 is a great cartridge, but there's no point in putting up with the recoil unless you have a very specific requirement for it in mind.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Looking to have a rifle built in the next year or so. It's going to be a Model 70 action. At first I was thinking .257Wby Mag. But .338 has had my attention for some reason. I don't need either one of them for anything particular. But I could see a use for each

Which will scratch the bigger itch?

“Factio democratica delenda est"
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

“Hands down”......the .338 WM! Then sell off the other stuff you have! wink memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've owned one 338 and built two 257 WB mags, both on Win 70 actions. Found recoil similar to an identical 270 win, shooting both side by side. I am a big fan of the 257 WBM as it is a super performer and down right sexy. The things I didn't like was 1) brass is expensive and my handloads did not match factory velocity (granted I could have pushed harder) 2) ammo is expensive and not readily available and 3) not a cartridge I'd want to shoot a lot simply as I would want to maintain barrel integrity. For a deer hunting cartridge, a personal favorite for sure. The 338 is special purpose to me and not something I really need so I sold mine off (regret that too!) but can get one if I need one. Mine was a factory Supergrade with fantastic wood which I loaded down just a bit for deer (never killed one with it).

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'll do the Campfire thing and suggest something you didn't ask about. Given your choice of cartridges I'll assume your donor is already set up for a belted mag diameter case. So how about a 264 mag with an 8" twist?

That has crossed my mind. What is the shortest barrel length I can have and still be effective? I have a CM for slow poke 6.5 stuff

My father's 24" Model 70 was plenty effective.

IC B3

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Split the difference 7mm Rem mag . Those 2 cartridges are polar opposites.

I don’t have a lot of interest in a 7mag. I should because I love the .280. But becaise I have a .280, I don’t have a lot of interest. laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Tom, you might consider true purpose before going through the process of building something.
I know you have other horses in the stable so you might consider something more purpose built.
And I only mention because I've traveled "path random" before and they're generally the ones that have been sold along the way at a modest loss.

OTOH, if "because I just want one or the other" is your reasoning, that's also good enough for me. laugh

WWP53D
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by SKane

Tom, you might consider true purpose before going through the process of building something.
I know you have other horses in the stable so you might consider something more purpose built.
And I only mention because I've traveled "path random" before and they're generally the ones that have been sold along the way at a modest loss.

OTOH, if "because I just want one or the other" is your reasoning, that's also good enough for me. laugh

Damnit. grin

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I do happen to have a bunch of 6.5 bullets on hand. laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Have you considered a 6.5PRC?

Savage 111 is sitting my my safe, sans barrel. Have been thinking 6.5PRC for the most part, .264WM some and a bit about a few others. Thinking the 6.5PRC makes the most sense as i believe it will be vey successful in the long term. Bullets are already plentiful and I think brass will become much more so pretty quickly.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
FWIW, I use my M70 257Wby for ringing steel, Pronghorn, deer in open country, and occasionally for calling coyotes. Anyone who can put up with 270Win/30-06 type recoil LOVES shooting the 257. It's light enough to carry on long walks or day hunts, and just heavy enough to settle down fairly quickly as well as enough weight to make it fairly pleasant during summertime steel-ringing sessions.

The .264 would benefit from a shortened ejector/bolt stop, 3.6" mag box, and a lengthened ejection port.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

Have you considered a 6.5PRC?

Savage 111 is sitting my my safe, sans barrel. Have been thinking 6.5PRC for the most part, .264WM some and a bit about a few others. Thinking the 6.5PRC makes the most sense as i believe it will be vey successful in the long term. Bullets are already plentiful and I think brass will become much more so pretty quickly.

Good idea if starting with a WSM short action. Less good idea on a standard long action.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R

Neither. Don’t buy the action or the barrel or the stock or the mounts or the scope or the dies or the brass or the bullets or the powder. GO ON A TRIP AND USE WHAT YOU ALREADY HAVE.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looking to have a rifle built in the next year or so. It's going to be a Model 70 action. I have my eye on a potential donor.

At first I was thinking .257Wby Mag. But .338 has had my attention for some reason. I don't need either one of them for anything particular. But I could see a use for each one certainly.

I'm thinking I'd want the .257 to be a bit lighter, easier to carry, walking around type rifle. Shooting across swamps or poking at deer out west.

The.338 would be an all around type rifle. Could be stand hunting WT deer, could be hunting thick stuff for snowshoe hairs. Neither would be at game further than 400 yds and hopefully...a lot closer. Which kinda leans .338 but I like both. laugh

I tell ya, The people that can't make up their minds..................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd go with the .257 Weatherby.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
696 members (160user, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 76 invisible), 2,693 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,798
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.