Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by nksmfamjp
Originally Posted by BeardHunter
The finish on the B&c’s I have is rather slick and the bottom metal inlets have been too deep on a few. Nothing a little epoxy and paint won’t fix.

The HS’s are thick all over and heavy but the grip angle and comb height work for me.

I prefer the McMillan supergrade by far. Haven’t had an Echols. Yet.

This basically describes my feelings about this subject right now....add in that I’m kind of hard on things, so I would feel less pain trashing a B&C than a McMillan!

EXCEPT- the recoil pads on the HS are awful and at least the one I had kicked a heck of a lot more than something that heavy ought to. Felt like a quality stock but I just didn't like it. Replaced with a Walnut that has a decellerator- much, much happier.

The B and C I have felt a little clublike at first because the factory synthetic was so slim but it sure tamed recoil and made that rifle a shooter. Still really liking it after all these years.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a B&C on a M70. Compared to the other brands mentioned they are a club in terms of weight and dimensions. They are also made using inferior materials, they’re filled with some type of black foamy fibrous stuff that is dense and heavy. They aren’t even close to as stiff as a good laid fiber stock. And the finish is slick too boot.

I have seen dozens of them broken, way more commonly than all the other brands listed above. I wouldn’t have the one I have if it wasn’t a gift. They just aren’t in the same league as a good glass stock.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
HS wouldn’t be on my radar either. Overpriced, heavy, and they have that idiotic aluminum block that isn’t good for anything but adding weight. They use pads that are apparently made of concrete too for whatever reason.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The B&C’s I’ve used and speak of are the Stocky’s version that is a copy of the Extreme Weather. It’s actually pretty trim and light.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
...and yes the HS pad is hardly a pad. But they will put a limb saver on it if you order direct. They are far from my favorite but I don’t mind the ones I have but they are generally place holders until a Mickey comes in.

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by TheKid
HS wouldn’t be on my radar either. Overpriced, heavy, and they have that idiotic aluminum block that isn’t good for anything but adding weight. They use pads that are apparently made of concrete too for whatever reason.

And I haven't gotten over the HS corp embrace of Lon Horiuchi, the FBI sniper who killed Randy Weaver's wife at Ruby Ridge as she held her baby. Google for details.

HS was (may still be) a big supplier of FBI sniper rifles, big lucrative contract. The FBI, typical of govt. bureaucracies, embraced Lon, because to do otherwise, they'd have to admit they messed up. The govt. did end up paying Weaver $3 mil following a lawsuit. So, they sent Lon out as their rep which just about forced their suppliers to accept him.

Anyway, HS in their greed to suck up to the govt, rolled Lon out as their go to guy, featured him in their catalog.

That's hard to ignore. I don't need or even like HS stuff that much. I do have an HS SPL .240 that I traded for. It's a very accurate rifle, but I wouldn't buy anything from them. Their stocks are too heavy and clunky for my taste. My SPL now wears a Hunters Edge, 26 oz vs. 42 oz, much slimmer and lighter. My son sold the HS stock on Ebay.

DF.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by nksmfamjp
So, I will be having built a custom hunting rifle built. It will be a model 70, trued, rebarreled in 300 Sherman or similar, synthetic stock, some kind of ffp christmas tree reticle scope and back up iron sights.

I’ve been looking at all the major players in synthetic stocks...McMillan, Manners, AG, HS Precision, Bell & Carlson, etc....

I can see McMillan seems to be the best stock, but the best price is Bell&Carlson. The trick with B&C seems to be if they make it, you will like it......, but don’t expect any customization, or any variety to inlet patterns. They will do the 14” lop I’m looking for.

So, I think I will go with the Bell & Carlson Sporter, but I have to ask folks....what if anything will I regret by not buying the McMillan or Manners?

First off, if you are having a rifle built, factor in the sum of all parts you're putting together. I see it fairly often, a fella spends a boat load of money for a top shelf builder to make his rifle and it ends up being heavier than they would have liked. I'd tell you to figure out what mounts and optics you're putting on the rifle and figure out what the all up weight of the finished rifle would be acceptable. Chances are a B&C on a Model 70 is going to push 8.5-9lbs really quick unless you work some magic with a super light and short barrel.

A goodly portion of McM EDGE fill stocks will be around 22-26 ounces, painted and ready to bolt on with a bit of bedding.

While a B&C isn't a bad stock, the couple 100 bucks more for a McMillan will NEVER be a regret if you are building a dream rifle.

Make a list and start weighing each part and piece that'll be on the rifle and be up front with the builder with your expectations. On a M70 to get light it'll require a few trick moves from a good smith to make it all work and get in under a portable amount.

I have had a few B&C's and they were servicable stocks but not in the same league as a matched and fitted to me McMillan.

Good luck with your build, one of the best feelings as a looney, but a 20 dollar scale from WalMart will save you some heartache when you take possession of it at the end.

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Solid advice right there!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Don't discount MPI either. Not popular on the fire but their light weight is lighter and stiffer than a McMillan or at least the one I have. Hows that for pouring gasoline on the fire? Same with the Brown pounder if you add graphite to it. A rough Brown precision stock is not that much more than the B&C. My B&C carbelite stock has several major dings in it, incidents that would have only scratched any of the others. The stock is one of the easiest places to reduce weight without affecting performance. Basner's are very good too.

HS precision finally came out with a lighter stock that I like. Keep an eye on the classifieds and you may get lucky. McMillan just had a pretty good sale and they sell cancelled orders for a good price too if it is what you are looking for. Even the plainest wood will be stiffer than a B&C and it could even be lighter or about the same weight. Get a good take off stock and then buy one of the better synthetics when your wallet recovers from the initial build.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I like MPI as well. Doc, when he was alive, and Lisa were always great to do business with. They also offer or offered dozens upon dozens of styles and configurations. They aren’t for your average DIY home shop guy if fitting from a blank but they are or can be nice when done.

I could fit and bed 3 Bansners in the time it took to do one MPI. But they are the only game around for a lot of styles or actions.

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
With the recent price increases at McMillan, they’re pretty close to a ready to bed Bansner.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
And I should have added the others that were mentioned such as Brown, MPI, Banser, etc. All of them make great, lightweight stocks. I mentioned McMillan since that is what I typically use.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Just had a Brown Pounder installed on my Tikka Superlite. Its a great stock!!

Last edited by 338rcm; 02/21/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gasman
My feeling is, if you're going to the expense of having an action trued, rebarreled, and chambered, don't skimp on the stock.

I did exactly that with a custom 700 in 6CM. Dropped in into a B&C and it works fine.

They are not lightweight stocks but I wasn't after a lightweight rifle. They are stiff, well built and priced way lower than the McM Edge, Browns and Bansner I own. I like all those mentioned but the B&C is still.a good value and a decent handle.

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
I appreciate the help guys...I’m hoping to get hands on at NRA and then place my order after that.

I’m planning to use Stockys. They seem like good folks to work with.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1973cb450, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 65 invisible), 2,760 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,256
Posts18,467,051
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.