Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Please fill me in. Why the lack of respect for the Work of Paul?

Wabigoon,

I think one of the biggest distractions from "Paul" are the forgerys know as the Pastoral Epistles, i.e. 1st and 2nd Timothy and Titus, that are used to justify so much of the misogyny and bigotry we see here on the fire.

These books are the sources for the verses used to attack your own Pastor Missy.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Sniper we have become good friends here, I respect your stance on matters.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by RickyD
The New Covenant is fully based on Grace. God's Grace, which is without end and free for the asking.

People often don't understand that many things Jesus spoke of during His 3 years of ministry, were of the Old Covenant and very little of the New Covenant which He had to shed His Blood and die on the cross to usher in.

Also very important is that when the veil in the temple was torn in half upon His death, it meant that everyone could now go boldly before the Throne of God. No longer were priests necessary as an intermediary.

The time span of the four Gospels was technically still under the Old Covenant, although in the New Testament. That's why Jesus told those healed, go show yourself to the priest.

Only after the Holy Spirit descended did the Church Age begin.

During the Lord's time here on the Earth, it says they knew him after the flesh. After they were endowed with the Holy Sprit, they had Spiritual discernment, understood what they had experienced and were subsequently empowered to write the Gospels.

DF

When did the "Holy Spirit descend?" I mean the date.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by bannination
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by RickyD
The New Covenant is fully based on Grace. God's Grace, which is without end and free for the asking.

People often don't understand that many things Jesus spoke of during His 3 years of ministry, were of the Old Covenant and very little of the New Covenant which He had to shed His Blood and die on the cross to usher in.

Also very important is that when the veil in the temple was torn in half upon His death, it meant that everyone could now go boldly before the Throne of God. No longer were priests necessary as an intermediary.

The time span of the four Gospels was technically still under the Old Covenant, although in the New Testament. That's why Jesus told those healed, go show yourself to the priest.

Only after the Holy Spirit descended did the Church Age begin.

During the Lord's time here on the Earth, it says they knew him after the flesh. After they were endowed with the Holy Sprit, they had Spiritual discernment, understood what they had experienced and were subsequently empowered to write the Gospels.

DF

Friday the 13th shortly after noontime and upon emerging from the River Jordan.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[quote=Dirtfarmer]

7 weeks after the start of Passover - at the Jewish Pentecost celebration. That year it was a few weeks after Jesus' resurrection. The disciples were gathered for the feast when the Spirit came on them. The Christian Pentecost is now celebrated 40 days after Easter to celebrate that. The dates aren't exact but close enough.
Since nobody knows what year that happened, figuring the exact date is impossible.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
[quote=Dirtfarmer]

7 weeks after the start of Passover - at the Jewish Pentecost celebration. That year it was a few weeks after Jesus' resurrection. The disciples were gathered for the feast when the Spirit came on them. The Christian Pentecost is now celebrated 40 days after Easter to celebrate that. The dates aren't exact but close enough.
Since nobody knows what year that happened, figuring the exact date is impossible.

Ok, there were a crap ton of churches before then. Just fact checkin.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No there weren't, Jesus had only been gone a few weeks and the disciples hadn't even started their work yet. In the next few days after that, though, the new converts increased by thousands. It was a lively time in the new Christian church.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by doubletap
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by Tom264
Why the incessant need to start religious threads?
You know how they are going to end.

These guys push an agenda worse than the lgbtq's, they're turning folks AWAY from Christ, me being one, getting shlt rammed down your throat daily, will cause one to turn 180 degrees away from it!

Many are called, few are chosen. No one is forcing you to do anything, to listen or believe. You sound like you have some knowledge of scripture and have rejected it. If that is accurate, there is nothing that anyone can say that is more powerful or as convincing. Maybe you are not among the chosen.

There are NO chosen ones, one damn thing for sure, I'm done with the daily religious zealots here, i'll take my chances before the big man and get sent straight to hell, you guys have made that choice more than easy!

Trump Won!
P
PSE Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Paul had a lot to say about a women's role in the church (basically no prominent role) and role in the household (subservient to the man).

A modern woman would rip his throat out - just saying!

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by PSE
Paul had a lot to say about a women's role in the church (basically no prominent role) and role in the household (subservient to the man).

Except none of what you reference was written by the same person who wrote Romans.

The Paul of Romans had a very different view of women.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Sniper we have become good friends here, I respect your stance on matters.

Thank you Wabigoon, I appreciate that.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
And there is a difference in respecting Paul's works and believing his writings are Christ's literal word/scripture, I imagine Paul himself would be most surprised 300 years later they would be considered so. Paul had decent insight, represented Christ as best he could, inspired many and wasn't perfect. That's it.

Kent

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Outstanding academic work on the topic at hand:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This guy is rock solid if you’re ever looking for such reading.

His “Christianity & Liberalism” was pivotal in the history of American Christianity.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by krp
And there is a difference in respecting Paul's works and believing his writings are Christ's literal word/scripture, I imagine Paul himself would be most surprised 300 years later they would be considered so. Paul had decent insight, represented Christ as best he could, inspired many and wasn't perfect. That's it.

Kent

Do you believe in inerrancy?

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I

I suspect that a good number of people reject Paul’s writings because he cuts to the deep quickly. The first three chapters of Romans leave no doubt that we are all sinners. Religious, non religious, gay, straight, man, woman, Jew, non Jew, everyone is a sinner.

In general we don’t like to think of ourselves as sinners. We like to view ourselves as OK. Like Crocodile Dundee said, “God and me, we be mates” (it’s the other guy that’s the sinner).

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by IZH27

I suspect that a good number of people reject Paul’s writings because he cuts to the deep quickly. The first three chapters of Romans leave no doubt that we are all sinners. Religious, non religious, gay, straight, man, woman, Jew, non Jew, everyone is a sinner.

In general we don’t like to think of ourselves as sinners. We like to view ourselves as OK. Like Crocodile Dundee said, “God and me, we be mates” (it’s the other guy that’s the sinner).

Well said

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PSE

That's the main thing about Paul's writings that I have had problems with. Women were looked upon in Biblical times as more like property than as equals, and I don't think we can apply it to modern times. Does that mean that men should take a back seat, and let women lead...........not at all, as I still believe men were designed to be the leaders. But, to tell the women to shut up and sit there, and don't say a thing while we men make every decision, is a no-no.

When I think back at the people who had a strong Christian influence on my life, there were more women than men. I also believe there are probably more women who will enter into Heaven than men. White it's often said that women are too emotional to do this, or do that, we men often let our testosterone dictate what we do, so neither is perfect.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by doubletap
Originally Posted by gunner500

These guys push an agenda worse than the lgbtq's, they're turning folks AWAY from Christ, me being one, getting shlt rammed down your throat daily, will cause one to turn 180 degrees away from it!

Many are called, few are chosen. No one is forcing you to do anything, to listen or believe. You sound like you have some knowledge of scripture and have rejected it. If that is accurate, there is nothing that anyone can say that is more powerful or as convincing. Maybe you are not among the chosen.

Christ said do not judge, he had a reason for saying this, he wasn't talking about if someone stole something or murdered or adultered... worldly things... he was talking about another's salvation, that is God's prerogative for each individual.

I don't get how 'christians' can't see how disgusting it is, how derisive and unappealing, claiming the right of God's judgement.

I may call someone every name in the book but will never assume to speak of their salvation.

The reason I even started posting and not lurking on this site was because Blaine in a fit of anger said steelhead's murdered sister was in hell... it honestly is a terrible representation of Christ.

I am a true believer of Christ and the Holy Spirit and wish to be an alternate voice for Christ outside of the bigotry and spitefulness of religion to those who are appalled at some of the followers.

Kent

No judgement in what I wrote. I wrote maybe because I don't know who is among the chosen. I do know that if we exercise our free will to reject Christ, we will not be going to a good place.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by krp

I'm sure Paul was genuine in his belief, Billy Graham was, Joseph Smith was, many others, I include myself. I doubt Paul had any idea his words 300 years later would be considered Christ's literal word. He was moved by the Holy Spirit, many of us are, he had insights, we do also if we submit to the HS, he was a man and got things wrong, as we all do. His words are not scripture, that's the bottom line.

Kent

The Apostle Peter disagrees with you friend:

2nd Peter 3 Verse 15-17....

Consider also that our Lord’s patience brings salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom God gave him. 16 He writes this way in all his letters, speaking in them about such matters. Some parts of his letters are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction. 17Therefore, beloved, since you already know these things, be on your guard so that you will not be carried away by the error of the lawless and fall from your secure standing.…

I'm just sayin.....actually....he was just sayin. Just throwing it out there. I hope this doesn't trigger any more people.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Paul in Timothy 1:15 ....."all they which are in Asia be turned away from me".... Jesus in Revelations 2:2..." Thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars"....

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

695 members (163dm, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 64 invisible), 3,040 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,578
Posts18,454,049
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.