Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Sometimes I drink and sometimes I think - Maybe I was born with a thirst.
Things don't get no better for me - They just go from bad to worse.
- And then doofus come's along . . .

As far as what's best - Revolver vs. Semi-auto? I leave that to the individual.
and his comfort / confidence level. One's always free to change their mind at will as they
progress. No gun, cartridge. or technique is one-size-fits-all.

When our state legalized concealed-carry a friend was sure that I would be the first to obtain a CCL
I was too lazy and didn't want to make the commitment and discipline involved to 'carry' responsibly.
Surprisingly, my friend also didn't want a CCL His excuse was "I don't want to be tied to a gun."
But I know he's always got a loaded handgun 'close'.

A few years later just a valid state drivers license allowed one to legally carry concealed.
So, I do 'carry' but limitedly and carefully when I do. A couple friends also carry that shouldn't.
Both have had guns hit the floor when using a public restroom.

A couple others are responsible, committed, practiced marksman, sane, and responsible.
They're also willing to help and mentor others - for the good of all concerned.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lvmiker
gun, ammo, holster are easier to debate than skill w/ what you can actually shoot well. As a standard a Bill drill in < 3 seconds from the holster is hard to beat. What Whitworth1 can do w/ a gun does not reflect what I could do w/ the same gun. But I can shoot sub 3 second Bill drills w/ my G19 w/ 147 gr BB hcs on demand from my HPG kit bag. Different realities for different folks.

I now call it the Phil drill.

mike r

Here is another decent drill. I ran some Bill Drills and this Roundup Drill this past weekend.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K813qxrd44M

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Big Nate I’m replying from your post on P 3.

I have many years experience practicing, shooting, & hunting 44 Mags.
Actually I have more yrs w/the 44 than 357 or 9 mm.

I have left the revolvers knowing their reliable function (normally)
I like the flat sides and ‘smoother’ cycling & higher capacity of the semi autos.
** MY preference.**

I agree with your two BOLD requirements:
A. Flawless Function
B. Shooting it well.

I like both revolvers & semi autos. The semis help in managing (reducing) gun jump
At least that’s MY observation.

In the scenario we are discussing, one should NOT use any handgun that is ABOVE
their capability. duh...

If your life depends on YOU using your weapon ——> use one you are proficient using.
Matters not the aggressor, man or beast.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
A long time ago In a galaxy far away I was taught “be prepared”. If I was a bear I would be a hell of a lot safer from a nimrod with a 454 he could not shoot and passed a little urine when he got excited, than a glockduffus with a G17 and 17 hard cast opportunities that he shot weekly such that it was second nature.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Wildlife NEVER contemplate those that are proficient in ALL weapons.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BigNate
I rarely jump in these augments but this one by Bryce Towsley really reeks of self righteous B.S.

While I'm nowhere near articulate enough to put into words all that runs through my mind, there is so much to be said about this that it's hard to know where to start. His idea that a revolver is ideal for everything is laughable at best. He makes so many unsupported statements it's hard to read. There have been studies of armed self defense against humans, and of bears. Studies of what was effective, and so on.

While I confess that I have not been charged by a Grizzly, nor a mugger, I also have had a little training. People function in an emergency in much the same way they practice. Some don't function at all. So while I agree a revolver is generally reliable, there really isn't a reason I would feel better suited carrying one for self defense. In fact, even for bears I don't think I'd manage any better with a big revolver than I would with a semi-auto in 10mm or 45ACP. I'd probably do better with my Glock 19 with better placement & more hits than a revolver of either DA or SA.

If situation is such that I can't hide the G19, I usually carry a micro 9. It's easier to conceal than a revolver, and a spare mag makes for a quick reload. To discreetly carry a reload for a revolver you'd likely use a strip, as the bulk of a typical speed-loader would be uncomfortable and harder to hide.

To each their own I suppose but I can't see myself really listening to this writer about anything that isn't reported from a review/range day standpoint.

Epert opinion piece? or drivel

I believed (this was many years ago) the gun writer nonsense about absolute reliability of revolvers until my cylinder locked up on a round that had backed out due to recoil. Gunk can get in the way as well.

Revolvers have their place and I have several. But my favorites are semi autos.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I shoot my Glock 20 or Springfield XDM in 10 mm with 220 gr cast bullets more accurately and faster than my revolvers. Plus its easier and faster to go out the door with the 10 and a couple of mags, Than my revolvers. Brown bear will be waking up soon here often in my neighborhood F&G shot 2 last year under a block away. Large population of State Park Bears are an issue.

Link to bear attack right up the road 2018

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/wil...rty-injured-in-eagle-river-bear-attacks/

Last edited by kk alaska; 02/21/20.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by glockdoofus
Has anyone actually learned anything from this mess? Who cares what someone carries as long as it is the 9MM whether a semi or a revolver.
Hallelujah it will get the job done and will set you free.
May the farce be with you now and forever more.

You need the Korth, my friend.:-)

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
But then he would have to change his name to Korthdoofus

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have carried my old 44 mag revolver for many years hunting in bear country,this revolver shoots just fine with Buffalo lead ammo ,ya there might be some better choices now days but i can find 44 mag. ammo very easy most places and i don`t have to buy another pistol, holster or ammo again.i am still old school out hunting or camping so give me a wheel gun in a 44 Mag., its not fancy but the old 44 will still protect my family and me from man or beast in my hands !

Last edited by pete53; 02/21/20.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
In bear country - At least a .44 Magnum.

In beer country - A Saturday Night Special will do.

B
BigNate Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Took me a while to remember where I'd seen a recent article about this. I had been of the opinion that a .44 or .45LC would be my choice, but realized I didn't shoot big revolvers enough to have confidence in my performance if rushed by a bear. I relegated myself to carrying an auto and a .45 ACP was the biggest of mine. Not the best possibly, but useful, and better for me.

After seeing this debated many times I still felt for me a larger auto would be my best bet. This came up not too long ago on this forum, and during the discussion this article was posted. It confirmed in my eyes that it's more important to have hits with something than to leave it to chance. Here's the article, stating basically that handguns as a whole are effective 96% of the time.

Evvective use of handguns vs. bears

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Took me a while to remember where I'd seen a recent article about this. I had been of the opinion that a .44 or .45LC would be my choice, but realized I didn't shoot big revolvers enough to have confidence in my performance if rushed by a bear. I relegated myself to carrying an auto and a .45 ACP was the biggest of mine. Not the best possibly, but useful, and better for me.

After seeing this debated many times I still felt for me a larger auto would be my best bet. This came up not too long ago on this forum, and during the discussion this article was posted. It confirmed in my eyes that it's more important to have hits with something than to leave it to chance. Here's the article, stating basically that handguns as a whole are effective 96% of the time.

Evvective use of handguns vs. bears

Don't worry, the bear spray proponents will be along momentarily. :-)

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
Don't worry, the bear spray proponents will be along momentarily. :-)

How many test firings of bear spray before it's deemed reliable? Do I have to throw it out of an airplane or run it over with a Humvee? If I refill it do I need to retest? Does that cause a feedback loop?

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yeah, a good third of those we see with bear spray (Northern Washington) have the canisters attached to their packs and not in a chest or belt holster!

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I had been of the opinion that a .44 or .45LC would be my choice, but realized I didn't shoot big revolvers enough to have confidence in my performance if rushed by a bear.

You chose using a small gun over getting adequate practice to handle a larger one skillfully. That is a creative approach and thought process.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
SheriffJoe: I trust the fellows who own and work at the Ennis, Montana (just north of Yellowstone Park) sport shop completely - and they laughingly relayed this "story/incident" to me about 4 years ago.
Seems a woman was travelling with her two kids from "back east" to Yellowstone Park and had stopped in to their shop to buy one of their lesser expensive cannisters of "bear spray".
Off they go and about an hour later they get a call from the confused woman wanting them to clarify if she was to apply the "bear spray" to her children's skin or to their clothing?
We always chuckle at her naivete/ignorance when we speak of this incident.
Bears are NOT mosquitos - I recommend the 44 Magnum 6" barreled stainless Smith & Wesson Model 629 line.
I saw/came across three different Grizzled Bears in Glacier National Park last September!
They are getting to be way more prevalent of recent than in the past!
Use caution and hot, noisy, heavy bullets.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
BigNate Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I had been of the opinion that a .44 or .45LC would be my choice, but realized I didn't shoot big revolvers enough to have confidence in my performance if rushed by a bear.

You chose using a small gun over getting adequate practice to handle a larger one skillfully. That is a creative approach and thought process.

Tom

Glad you you approve.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 280fan, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 42 invisible), 2,749 guests, and 1,104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,290
Posts18,467,925
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.