-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Was reading the thread about using coated cast bullets in Glocks and lo and behold, I recently bought two Glock 9mm's. I also have 1000 commercial lubed 9mm bullets from a small custom maker. They test out at 15 BHN on the ol' LBT Hardness Tester so I'm guessing they are Lyman #2 or something similar. The lube appears to be the typical waxy hard red lube found on a lot of commercial bullets.

I was thinking of melting out the lube and then coating the bullets. 1) I'm using coated bullets in a GP-100 revolver and really like the lack of lube smoke and 2) coating seems to eliminate a lot of the maybes and whatif's associated with lead and Glocks. I'd just as soon avoid the whole problem.

Sooo - what's the cleanest way to completely remove the old lube from 1000 bullets? I can heat them in an oven to melt it out but then they're sitting in a puddle of melted lube. If I apply powder to them then any lube still on any part of a bullet is going to melt during the curing process and carry away the powder.

To be honest, I'd just as soon not reload 9mm but I have this pile of cast bullets and a few gallon bags of empty brass and don't want to waste them.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Melt off the lube in an oven as you described, but put the bullets on a wire rack above a pan to catch the wax so they don't end up in a puddle.
Wash the bullets in a solvent to remove any remaining wax.
When using solvents I usually start with alcohol and work up if necessary to paint thinner, lacquer thinner, acetone, etc. Whatever cuts the wax effectively.
Sounds like a lot of work though; I'd probably just shoot them up as is.

Shooting lead bullets in a Glock

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Shoot them or sell them. 9mm are fairly easy to sell if you don't get too greedy.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Shoot them or sell them. 9mm are fairly easy to sell if you don't get too greedy.

This.

I powder coat all my own bullets of course, but it's just not worth the time or trouble to clean wax lubed bullets for coating. You need to have them completely clean for the coating to stick, so a process like NVhntr described is necessary at minimum, and you really need to do several rinses in a strong solvent like acetone or laquer thinner.

It's really just not worth the trouble, especially when they'll probably shoot OK as-is if you figure out a decent load and don't over crimp or use one of those "factory crimp dies".

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Good advice, I would load them and shoot them. Heck, I would melt them down & re cast them before I would go through all the trouble mentioned above!

Dick

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
try MEK methyl ethyl ketone soak for an hour

use spaghetti strainer over bucket, rinse MEK (and wax film) off with alcohol

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Idaho1945
Good advice, I would load them and shoot them. Heck, I would melt them down & re cast them before I would go through all the trouble mentioned above!

Dick

Agreed, I'd be able to melt them and cast fresh clean bullets faster than I could clean them. Tried that once just because; it ain't worth it.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You could try putting them in a pot of water and boiling them. After the lube melts out it will float to the top. Let the water cool and the lube will solidify on top and can be lifted off the water. I did this on a big batch of bullets I bought a a yard sale. They were covered in dust and grit. It worked well to remove the old lube. I relubed them and shot them in a 44 I had back then.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
After sleeping on it this does seem more of a wild hair idea, just more trouble than it's worth. Oh well, thanks for the reality check. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I have been powder coating my own. And yes, I decided some of the old wax lubed bullets needed to be powder coated, so I tossed 'em in the pot and recast them. That is the fastest and easiest way to get it done.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

610 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 160user, 1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 69 invisible), 2,094 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,277
Posts18,448,462
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.