Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hastings
Paul in Timothy 1:15 ....."all they which are in Asia be turned away from me".... Jesus in Revelations 2:2..." Thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars"....
Revelations wasn't talking about Paul. Why do you think that?

Have you ever even looked into why the people in Asia turned away from Paul? Because they were heretics.

Politics is War by Other Means
GB1

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by krp
And there is a difference in respecting Paul's works and believing his writings are Christ's literal word/scripture, I imagine Paul himself would be most surprised 300 years later they would be considered so. Paul had decent insight, represented Christ as best he could, inspired many and wasn't perfect. That's it.

Kent

Do you believe in inerrancy?

In Christ or man? yes and no... why does man think he has to add to Christ's teachings? It's the vanity of man that thinks he can improve Christ and it's this vanity that turns many away.

Christ is positive, Paul is negative, Christ is inclusive, Paul is exclusive, Christ is giving, Paul is punishment.

I do not have less understanding of Christ through the Holy Spirit because I do not follow Paul.

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Read Romans 13: 1-6. Do Nero, Caligula, Hitler, Pol Pot, Idi Amin, Stalin, Obama come to mind? The Jesus I know would not have endorsed this.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I think that a really reading of the Gospels will give a different view of Christ. He kicked butt and took names when dealing with the Jews and all others. Paul’s message is no different than the message of Christ. The Old Testament is non different than the message of the New Testament. Jesus told the Jewish religious leaders that the whole of the Old Testament was about him. Not a different way of salvation. Not an “Esops Fables” and not a chronology of people who had been righteous enough to please God. Genesis to Revelation is about Christ.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by krp

In Christ or man? yes and no... why does man think he has to add to Christ's teachings? It's the vanity of man that thinks he can improve Christ and it's this vanity that turns many away.

Christ is positive, Paul is negative, Christ is inclusive, Paul is exclusive, Christ is giving, Paul is punishment.

I do not have less understanding of Christ through the Holy Spirit because I do not follow Paul.

Kent

I apologize I wasn’t clear in my question.

I was asking if you believe in the inerrancy of Scripture, but your answer sounds like that’s a “no”?

At any rate, when I see what I believe to be a contradiction in Scripture I tend to fall back first on a lack of understanding on my part, a cultural sensitivity that sets me apart from the wisdom of God in His word as received therein, and a testimony to my need for continued study.

Christ has many exclusionary teachings that you and I would agree with... like His condemnation of the Pharisees. Likewise Paul has many inclusionary teachings that I assume we’d agree with like His insistence that “there is now neither Greek nor Hebrew; man nor woman, but all are one in Christ” or that a life in submission to Christ results in a life of holiness as encapsulated in the fruit of the Spirit.

At any rate good conversation as always Kent thanks I hope you everyone has a great Friday!

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Paul in Timothy 1:15 ....."all they which are in Asia be turned away from me".... Jesus in Revelations 2:2..." Thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars"....
So you think that's talking about Paul? The church was flooded with false teachers. Satan was fighting hard to bring down the church before it got established. False teachers and Judaizers were everywhere sewing discord. Note that 'apostles' and 'liars' are plural. There is no way you can number Paul among them other than your hatred for the man that Jesus handpicked to take his word to them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Read Romans 13: 1-6. Do Nero, Caligula, Hitler, Pol Pot, Idi Amin, Stalin, Obama come to mind? The Jesus I know would not have endorsed this.
All governments commit injustices. The passage doesn't say that God approves of all regimes, but that God allows all regimes. But all governments punish some of the wrong doers too.

Do you think you would be better off under Stalin if you went about robbing, raping and murdering or if you conducted yourself with honor?
I can guarantee that if you went about robbing & murdering under Nero, Nero himself may not get you, but the local governor would see you crucified.

Frankly, I don't think this passage is dealing with grossly unjust regimes. It doesn't apply to Pol Pot or Hitler. But Pol Pot and Hitler weren't much involved in prosecuting murders. Neither was 0bama. It's the local rulers who deal with things like that.

Plus, I don't think it's within the scope of our intelligence to understand Nero or Caligula. Obviously God allowed them to do what they did. We just don't know why. But the passage you cited should make us think seriously before we revolt against any government, no matter how bad it is. For instance, you don't want to end up like Spartacus. As bad as the Romans may have been at the time, Spartacus' rebellion was a huge mistake that cost him and nearly all his followers their lives.

I think you read this one too absolutely and often with the wrong level of governance in mind.

Politics is War by Other Means
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

I apologize I wasn’t clear in my question.

I was asking if you believe in the inerrancy of Scripture, but your answer sounds like that’s a “no”?

At any rate, when I see what I believe to be a contradiction in Scripture I tend to fall back first on a lack of understanding on my part, a cultural sensitivity that sets me apart from the wisdom of God in His word as received therein, and a testimony to my need for continued study.

Christ has many exclusionary teachings that you and I would agree with... like His condemnation of the Pharisees. Likewise Paul has many inclusionary teachings that I assume we’d agree with like His insistence that “there is now neither Greek nor Hebrew; man nor woman, but all are one in Christ” or that a life in submission to Christ results in a life of holiness as encapsulated in the fruit of the Spirit.

At any rate good conversation as always Kent thanks I hope you everyone has a great Friday!

I have distilled my faith down to Christ and the Holy Spirit which has freed me from worldly distractions, spiritually. My reference to inclusion and exclusion is about salvation and Christ's plan/wish for every person. Christ's life example was to not allow the world and it's faults to effect your spirit, excluding earthly issues isn't what I'm talking about.

It may seem to simple to some but Christ was the best at KISS.

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by krp
I have distilled my faith down to Christ and the Holy Spirit which has freed me from worldly distractions, spiritually. My reference to inclusion and exclusion is about salvation and Christ's plan/wish for every person. Christ's life example was to not allow the world and it's faults to affect your spirit, excluding earthly issues isn't what I'm talking about.It may seem to simple to some but Christ was the best at KISS.Kent
Excellent

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by krp
And there is a difference in respecting Paul's works and believing his writings are Christ's literal word/scripture, I imagine Paul himself would be most surprised 300 years later they would be considered so. Paul had decent insight, represented Christ as best he could, inspired many and wasn't perfect. That's it.

Kent

Do you believe in inerrancy?

Kent

Jesus preached his words to the Jews. The Gentiles were entirely different and while the salvation message was the same, they needed different handling. Jesus hand picked Paul for the job. Unless you're a Jew, Jesus sent Paul to YOU.

― George Orwell

IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

For you.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If a man showed up today with a different plan of salvation non congruous with that of Jesus and John the Baptist, With an account of encountering Jesus out in the woods somewhere, and a story of being taken to and receiving visions in 3rd heaven I would be leery. Now if Jesus appeared with him and ratified the message and told me "I know I taught for over 3 years but I forgot to tell you folks the main reason I came" , well that would be different.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
......... Jesus hand picked Paul for the job. Unless you're a Jew, Jesus sent Paul to YOU.
Probably not

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Acts 9:15 But the Lord said to Ananias, "Go! This man is my chosen instrument to carry my name before the Gentiles and their kings and before the people of Israel.

Yes, YOU.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That Paul was a cool dude!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by doubletap
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by Tom264
Why the incessant need to start religious threads?
You know how they are going to end.

These guys push an agenda worse than the lgbtq's, they're turning folks AWAY from Christ, me being one, getting shlt rammed down your throat daily, will cause one to turn 180 degrees away from it!

Many are called, few are chosen. No one is forcing you to do anything, to listen or believe. You sound like you have some knowledge of scripture and have rejected it. If that is accurate, there is nothing that anyone can say that is more powerful or as convincing. Maybe you are not among the chosen.

There are NO chosen ones, one damn thing for sure, I'm done with the daily religious zealots here, i'll take my chances before the big man and get sent straight to hell, you guys have made that choice more than easy!

gunner, you can't let yourself get thrown off track, looking at men. We're all flawed, some more than others. And that includes Christians.

You gotta keep your eye on the Lord, the only non-flawed person to ever walk on this Earth.

Follow the Light, don't get blinded by the glare. A laser is focused light, will cut steel. Scattered light is glare, can blind. Scripture zapped around, here and there without Focus can become just that, glare. Stay focused, don't get blind sided by all this.

DF

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by PSE
Paul had a lot to say about a women's role in the church (basically no prominent role) and role in the household (subservient to the man).

A modern woman would rip his throat out - just saying!

That's the main thing about Paul's writings that I have had problems with. Women were looked upon in Biblical times as more like property than as equals, and I don't think we can apply it to modern times. Does that mean that men should take a back seat, and let women lead...........not at all, as I still believe men were designed to be the leaders. But, to tell the women to shut up and sit there, and don't say a thing while we men make every decision, is a no-no.

When I think back at the people who had a strong Christian influence on my life, there were more women than men. I also believe there are probably more women who will enter into Heaven than men. White it's often said that women are too emotional to do this, or do that, we men often let our testosterone dictate what we do, so neither is perfect.

Which others of Paul's writings only applied to his times?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If a man showed up today with a different plan of salvation non congruous with that of Jesus and John the Baptist, With an account of encountering Jesus out in the woods somewhere, and a story of being taken to and receiving visions in 3rd heaven I would be leery. Now if Jesus appeared with him and ratified the message and told me "I know I taught for over 3 years but I forgot to tell you folks the main reason I came" , well that would be different.

First Apostle Paul didn't have a different salvation from Jesus. But how 'bout if the claimer did miracles in the name of Jesus? Would that change anything for you?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
A parable from RJY66.

One day a certain man setteth out to changeth the oil in his new Ford F-150. A sweet and comely ride it was, adorned with bells and whistles, gleaming paint, and possessing a great beast in the midst of it which could fly as a raptor and roar like the laughter of the almighty.

That same day as the man setteth about his work, his neighbor, who loved him, came about saying howbeit my brother, what project dost thou incline thy hand to this day? I giveth the beast fresh oil this day sayeth the man. Aye, it is meet sayeth the neighbor. Directly, he seeth five measures of syrup, each adorned with the image of an Ethiopian queen called Jemima. He asketh what of the syrup, art thou feeding pancakes to a multitude? Nay saith the man, I feed it to the beast in the midst of the ride. Greatly troubled the friend sayeth, who has bewitched thee? Knowest thou not that the great beast only liveth on the finest 0W-20 synthetic oil from the presses of Mobil? How knowest thou saith the man? The neighbor sayeth unto him where abideth the word of the covenant between thee and Ford....bring it thou forth. The man then entereth into the vestibule and bringeth forth the scroll of the covenant and giveth it to his neighbor. The neighbor taketh the scroll and turned to the place where it saith "use thou only 0w-20 fully synthetic oil blessed by the priests of ILSAC and the scribes of API" and showeth his friend, saying Verily thus saith it.

After reading it, the man saith to his neighbor be ye not vexed. I have in myself innate knowledge that the beast liveth also on syrup. Know ye not that the great Ford dieth 100 years ago and the writers of the covenant are acting of their own accord in his name to trouble they the bretheren? His neighbor sayeth unto him Verily thou doest greatly err. Thy hubris and arrogance hath caused thee to privily divide the words of the covenant and depart from sound teaching and descend thou into folly, ignoring thou the wisdom of both the covenant and our fathers who feedeth not their beasts syrup. The man answer and saith, know thou not the words of the covenant also saith in a certain place that the wheels of the ride if shod with 35 measures of air will give best performance and saith nothing of the feeding of the beast? Yes answereth the neighbor it is meet. Thou do well to neglect neither. For the covenant with the great Ford be not a buffet from which thou mayest pluck a fig or a pomegranate but its whole council must receive meditation and all its works heed so that thou mayest prosper.

Why judgest thou me saith the man? Art thou perfect in all thy ways? What I have determined I have determined and the beast dineth on syrup and not oil because I sayeth it. Go thou thy way before thou triggereth me. The neighbor, saddened, cast his eyes to the earth and saith thou believest neither me nor the words of the covenant, therefore I can be of no service unto thee. I goeth therefore forth to my house to watch the gladiators who vie against one another in the midst of the glowing box. If thou perchance needeth a ride on the morrow sendeth forth me an epistle. It will troubleth me not because thou shall not get far and we remaineth friends.

And he went on his way as he said, pondering in his heart the meaning of the things he had seen, troubled because he knew the great beast in the midst of the ride locketh up before eventide, no longer flying like a raptor or roaring like the laugh of the almighty. How long would his friend walketh to and fro on the face of the earth because of his folly? Would it be forever or only for a time? What manner of sorcery preventeth his simple message from getting through? He knoweth not the answer.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
RJY66: You rival Shakespeare. That was good. Did you author that yourself?

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

411 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 38 invisible), 1,928 guests, and 1,061 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,726
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.