Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
ARIC

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Lennie
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
If you feel the urge to go down that rabbit hole, why not?

I've assembled several uppers and lowers now. It get's a bit addictive (fair warning)….grin

I put in basic mil spec lower parts myself, and that's just my personal preference. Mostly stripped lowers from PSA, and AR-Stoner lower parts kits from Midway.

Uppers seem simpler to me, less small parts overall. I usually use uppers from AR Stoner and BCG's from AR Stoner or PSA.

You can generally spend as little or as much as you want/need to find your AR happiness.

FYI
All of PSA's uppers and lowers are manufactured by Spikes Tactical

Do you have a source for that?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Short answer is yes, you should assembly your own. A PSA kit is a good place to start.

After you know how to put one together, you can play tinker toys and at the point the only limit is set by your credit card.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I've assembled several uppers and lowers now. It get's a bit addictive (fair warning)….grin

I put in basic mil spec lower parts myself, and that's just my personal preference. Mostly stripped lowers from PSA, and AR-Stoner lower parts kits from Midway.

Uppers seem simpler to me, less small parts overall. I usually use uppers from AR Stoner and BCG's from AR Stoner or PSA.

You can generally spend as little or as much as you want/need to find your AR happiness.

FYI

Huh??? Who told you that lie?

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

FYI

Do you have a source for that?

He won't be able too. PSA makes everything in house these days to include their barrels.. their sister company DC machine makes their lowers, barrels etc..

Last edited by 79S; 12/30/19.

IC B2

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by 79S

2,000 Barrels a day.

That's half a million barrels a year.

I think there's more AR's in this country than people realize.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 12/30/19.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I got started making my own AR’s a few years ago because I could never find exactly what I wanted in a pre built gun, I like the oddball stuff such as side charge uppers, nice single stage triggers, longer than normal custom barrels etc. I have built two rifles that don’t have 2 parts from the same manufacturer on them and they shoot better than any off the rack rifles I have........fun and addicting
Good place to get started for parts davidsondefense.com

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

FYI

This makes me wonder what they do with those manufacturing facilities they have in Summerville, a few miles from where I work. Gotta wonder to why they're always on the hire for CNC machinists.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I knew PSA made their barrels etc in Summerville, I just never realized they had a store front there. Dang, I was just there at the end of July.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Really the question is “whats it for”? If you can identify a parts set that is not what you can find out there, assembling one is the way to go. I collect parts I find on sale.

A good trigger can make you enjoy a precision gun a little more, but you can polish a mil spec parts kit to make it a little better. The next post should be the warning not to touch the sear when polishing per internet legislation.

NRA Life Member
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Start with a kit. It's fun and you'll understand exactly how and why it works. PSA is tough to beat. I put together my first kit from Delton which is cheap and I've not had an issue with it at all. Depending on what you want, you can be buying some of the parts twice which also adds up quickly. If you get a cheap kit but want precision you'll start off replacing the barrel, handgaurd, and trigger at the very least. These parts by themselves can be more than an entire rifle. However, buying the parts once and not throwing away new parts to replace with better may save a bit.

I'm contemplating a new upper as we speak. I thought I had it figured out, so bought an upper with a reputation for being tight. I was about to buy the barrel and started reading too much and am now stuck between the convenience of factory available ammo and performance you have to load for. I was about to get a .30 American, had it picked out and in the cart, while waiting to go get my wallet I started reading about on game performance of the 6.8 SPC and am now leaning that way. If I do a 6.8 in 16" or 18", I'll be doing a .30 HRT in a pistol.

Also, in case you didn't pick up on it, once you start it's a lot like Meth. You'll constantly be looking for the next little rush.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BigNate
I started reading about on game performance of the 6.8 SPC and am now leaning that way. If I do a 6.8 in 16" or 18", I'll be doing a .30 HRT in a pistol.

If you like the 6.8, check out the 27GPC from MDWS.

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
With so many companies making AR's now prices have really come down a lot. Fully assembled uppers in several calibers from 223 to 458 SOCOM can be bought for less than $300 and several manufacturers have a 1 MOA guarantee. At those prices you really can't build one for less.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oakster
I am considering building a few AR rifles for my self. I would like to get a thumper like a .458 Socom, a white .223 like the older arctic panther and more recently, an AR pistol that has been added to my want list. As far as a hobby, is it worth it to build your own AR rifle? I would like to have a better understanding of exactly how the work, etc.

Assuming it is still a fun hobby, do you all use an average lower parts kit? Are there parts you order separate and replace from the generic parts in the lower parts kit? What are your thoughts on where to buy parts, and what parts need upgraded etc?

Maybe get a cheap ar and shoot it a bit and figure what you want to change and build one or more the way you want them. I like to assemble mine myself and watch the sales to buy the parts when they are the cheapest. Kinda into the lightweight ones now and are gathering parts for another lightweight build.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks, I wasn't aware of the 27GPC.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer to assemble my own so that I know exactly what's being used and exactly how it's assembled. I live with the assumption that nobody on earth cares about me more than me, so I'll be the most careful with stuff like this.

But if you do it yourself you owe it to yourself to research the proper way to do things. They're easy to assemble correctly. They're easier to assemble carelessly and improperly.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bluedreaux, if you were putting together a pistol, just for your self, as your forever next to the bed gun what parts would you use? in 300blk?

Last edited by deerstalker; 02/20/20.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don’t know anything about a Blackout pistol.

But for parts I’d be looking at Sons Of Liberty, Sionics, and BCM for barrels, BCGs, charging handles, and small parts.

Add Aero to the list for upper and lowers.

And add ALG to the list for rails.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I've built a few, unless you want something just different though, you can probably buy something off the shelf for less. You'll need some of the basic tools, ar wrench, vice block, good punches, torque wrench (advanced auto does the free rentatool thing if you dont want to buy one) and go/no gauges. Some say the latter isn't necessary but if something is gonna go boom in front of my face/hands/etc and especially if I am gonna let others shoot it, I want the piece of mind.

I think the Ruger mpr is the best bang for the buck out there right now.

Last edited by killerv; 02/21/20.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
266 members (1minute, 45_100, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 41 invisible), 2,165 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,633
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.