Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
We have a few guys on our security team that don’t carry firearms. It is interesting in that they all share a comparable personality. What I’m saying is, they aren’t the most macho guys in the world. They are good members in many ways, though. Over the years, we had had several instances where some physical intervention seemed imminent. Luckily, it never came to that. I’m glad that a sizable percyof our congregation is armed at our events.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Crew-served Nerf Vulcan

Set up a fire base from the choir loft, leave 2-3 members in the loft during the peaching hour (if missy can go that long)

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by slumlord
Crew-served Nerf Vulcan

Set up a fire base from the choir loft, leave 2-3 members in the loft during the peaching hour (if missy can go that long)

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
My Daughter's had one of those since she was about ten. My Boy's got a bunch of others but was always jealous of her having the cannon. Think I got it for her at Sam's.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have a code word, something everyone can commit to memory like Bosco or Sanka

Everyone hits the deck, the Vulcan starts laying down suppression fire

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'ma carry hers to Church concealed next time I go. Just in case. Should offset the Desert Eagle 50AE on my other side quite well.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The way I look at it, anything short of an active shooter can probably be dealt with by a group of determined churchgoers.

However, I can't for the life of me remember the last time that sort of thing happened-- at least it didn't make the papers. I do, however, recollect several nasty situations with active shooters in a church and the only ones that turned out for the better were where the perp got shot by someone close at hand.

Look, I'm all for giving the minister a taser and saying take your best shot. I'm just saying that probably it is not going to get the job done. Somebody is going to have to finish it with a firearm.

I would much prefer to be sitting in a pew with my EDC as with a non-lethal defense method.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
WTF wabi? you got a bunch of feel gooders and do gooders trying to decide how to handle the hosers job?. If the perps aren't armed have the security boys and girls take them down and 1 deacon with the taser can make them pay att'n to the sermon ,then if they forget have another deacon on top them with a cattle prod. Used enough they will be ready for water boarding at the baptismal bowl. Somewhere in those activities they may actually have a "come to Jesus moment in time that forever changes their remaining life". But you hear it now, right here never let a pacifist declare or establish security policy. Good luck you going down the wrong road and need it.. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Sorry guys. Reguardless of the place the offense is taking place, an assailant brandishing a firearm can be dealt with in one way only. Pointing a gun at one or multiple individuals is proof enough IMO that the person causing the threat is intending to shoot. Wait for the first shot to be fired? Ponder what your response might be if the gun was pointed at you, or someone accross the room, then imagine the reverse. Yell "drop the gun" is only for legal protection, because it will most likely cause the perp to swing it toward you, forcing you to be shot, or shoot.

Youthful enthusiasm is replaced by old age and treachery!
W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by wabigoon
The first thing we need to do is to lock the doors just as the service starts.

During service, lock all the doors, from the OUTSIDE, except for the main entrance. Inside the main entrance should be an armed security member. We tend to have an armed security member both outside and inside the main entrance. Develop key words and gestures that communicate to the security team that there is a problem that need addressed. Just sharing a few things that we do.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It’s really a ridiculous notion, this a trolling plain and simple.

Anyone coming into a church hell-bent to cause aggravated physical harm, is still going to be clutching THEIR LETHAL weapon as you spray them with mace, pepper, or tasers or attempt to pile in on them with a whoopin stick.

You’re only going to add more adrenaline to the bad guy’s intent.

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
The gun can still be used without firing, if needed. Say some a-hole charges up the aisle to assault the pastor, but no gun on person. Or a guy pulls out a knife and starts waving it like a banshee. Generally staring down a 40 caliber barrel while unarmed causes such subject to hit the ground in a wimper until his ass can be thrown out or dragged away in handcuffs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If part of a church security team lesser forms of force should be available. Less than lethal means, such as a taser or more than likely some effective OC spray should be carried. Handcuffs should be carried but only very judiciously applied. Basic physical take down and control techniques should be learned and practiced.

We talk about the worst case scenario, a shooter. We have to understand that lesser threats may come. So, when is it appropriate to contain? When is it appropriate to control? What is the difference in types of containment? What non-physical or physical types of control are appropriate? All things security team members must understand.

So, if you are part of an unarmed security team what do you do when that offender escalates to lethal force? Do you step up and take rounds so that someone might escape? Understanding that when you take that round you are going down so fast that likely you helped no one.

You don't want to tap that bang switch. You don't want to but the thing is things can escalate out of control so fast that you have no other choice than to use that last ditch choice. All these choice's have to be selected reasonably and due to what is objectively observed.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I'll start by agreeing that responsible armed members are a good thing.

There may be situation where less than gunfire is needed. What do you think?

Richard, this will turn into another rehash of what has been discussed on here before. But, I don't care if it's church, a McDonalds, a Walmart, or the Prissy Missy beauty salon, but the only sure way to stop a would be killer is with lethal force. Anything else is not even debatable.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS. PERIOD.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Each pew be provided with a fire hose with pressure of 1200# psi!

Nap time!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have a member who has his Class 3 license, and has several examples. I told him he should mount the MG42 where he can cover the sanctuary. He gave me a look that said "don't encourage me."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tasers can work pretty well on everything from bears to meth heads. I know on both accounts

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Give them hockey pucks.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A pistol in a holster, a sap in the back pocket, and a clear understanding of the force continuum ought to cover it.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Force continuum in my days as an embassy guard,

presence
verbal commands
soft empty hand techniques
hard empty hand techniques
soft PR-24 techniques
hard PR24 techniques
deadly force

Rule of thumb, whatever level of force your troublemaker is using, you are justified to be one level higher.

Pepper spray is in there too. generally somewhere between empty hand, and PR-24, but it's kind of a moving target depending on the situation.

And understanding that you can go from presence, to any level. You don't need to stop at every level. The situation dictates.

Last edited by MontanaMarine; 02/21/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We got this expat Columbian dude guarding the door. I give him lots of respect, he just retired from the local PD and all the cops I know say he is to be feared in a scuffle and is very handy with a handgun. He tells all of us that carry where to sit and what area we are responsible for. We have drills about quarterly and square range practice most months. I'm the only one with no LE background. Its interesting and I'm carrying anyway and love to pop caps, so I look at it like free gun school. kinda sorta

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (1OntarioJim, 204guy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 38 invisible), 1,954 guests, and 1,090 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,440
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.