Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Jcon72 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Here are 2 pictures of powder tricklers, neither of which I have in hand to be able to personally inspect. The first one appears to be an Ohaus if I'm not mistaken, can anyone confirm this? The second one is an odd one, though. I've never seen anything like it but it looks pretty cool. The top is supposedly aluminum but the owner said that the base is heavier. Any idea what brand it might be, or perhaps it's homemade?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Believe you are correct on the first one being an Ohaus, the second one who knows maybe home made. Can't recall ever seeing one with a clear plastic body.

Jcon72 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
The guy got back to me about the 2nd one. Said he believes the body is glass, rather than plastic, and he doesn't think it's homemade.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Yeah, used t have one like the first photo. May still be laying around somewhere in my shop. I wasn't impressed with it's usefulness...

D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My none-too-reliable memory says the second one is a C-H from the '60s or '70s, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

edit: I just looked in the 8th edition Reloaders Digest, 1978. No picture and the description didn't say anything about a glass reservoir, but did say the base is capable of adding weight. Does that one?

Last edited by DHN; 02/26/20.

Dale

IC B2

Jcon72 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DHN
My none-too-reliable memory says the second one is a C-H from the '60s or '70s, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

edit: I just looked in the 8th edition Reloaders Digest, 1978. No picture and the description didn't say anything about a glass reservoir, but did say the base is capable of adding weight. Does that one?

I should know in a few days. I bought it and it is en route via USPS.

D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
So I'm curious. Any identification on it?

Dale

Jcon72 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Sorry for the late reply, but now that it has arrived I can post some better pictures. There are no words or numbers of any kind stamped anywhere that I could find, but please note the following characteristics that I have observed:
1. The reservoir is NOT glass as the previous owner thought; instead, it appears to be acrylic/plexiglass.
2. The base and top cover are made of solid aluminum. The only steel parts are the (breather?) plug in the top cover, the knob on the end of the metering tube and a spiral-wound steel wire inside the tube which acts as an auger.
3. The base has at some point been painted with wrinkle paint which has obviously experienced a lot of wear over the years.
4. The top cover is machined to amazingly close tolerances; It requires a bit of an effort to insert it into the reservoir yet it doesn't scratch it. Impressive! I have no idea why the underside has a threaded hole in the center, though.
5. The brass tube has a shallow groove machined to accept a retaining snap ring, barely visible in the first picture, butted up against the reservoir next to the ruler. This, of course, is to keep the tube from sliding back and forth and/or falling out of the reservoir.
6. The reservoir is not attached to the base via threads or an adhesive. Instead, the base is machined with a raised circular "platform" that fits perfectly inside the reservoir with a threaded hole in the center. There is a rubber disc or O-ring (I haven't disassembled it yet to know exactly which) that lies on top of said "platform" and then a (stainless steel?) disk is placed on top of it. The brass screw that can be seen underneath the brass tube is then inserted through the center of that disk and the rubber disk, then tightened, which "squishes" the rubber against the side of the reservoir at the bottom. This holds the reservoir in place by pressure/friction similar to a compression plug.
Hopefully these pictures and the above description will be helpful in identification.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Those are much better pictures. It doesn't look like my granddad's trickler, which I think was C-H. The base looks like maybe an afterthought, compared to the quality of the rest of it.

Dale

Jcon72 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
That's a possibility. The square part is indeed a separate piece. I'll tell you right now, though, it would take some effort to knock this sucker over! LOL

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 2,935 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,349
Posts18,468,835
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.