Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Thats like saying electric cars are now out selling covered wagons.

I am MAGA.
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by tikkanut

'14 Tacoma here with 6 speed manual......hard to find too......

Just more fun than an auto.....honest 18 mpg average too with 20+ on hwy

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I have a 2015 Tacoma with a manual transmission. Yes, it was hard to find. Glad I went to the trouble of searching.

Factory installed theft and appliance moving deterrent.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
My daily driver is a 98 BMW M3 sedan with a 5 Spd manual.
I enjoy the hell out of it.

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
with a few exceptions my daily drive was a stick for my entire adult life, that ended in 2016 and i don't miss it

would still be fun as a second car

Last edited by sse; 02/21/20.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Was picking up an insanely prived part at the Toyota dealership in Bozeman the other day.

Walked through the floor and there were 3 Supras. All of them were around ~$60k.

Looked inside that little 2-seater sporty shoebox and it was an auto.

I shared this with my wife and asked her rhetorically, "who would buy a sports car like that with a manual tranny?"

Montana MOFO
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Snowflakes will continue to imbibe whatever purple drank koolaid their low IQ leaders feed them.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Beyond the skill it takes to employ one's left foot in the management of one's car, and the lack thereof in most of today's society, consider vintage machines with unsynchronized gear boxes. Not many of us around anymore who out of necessity mastered the art of double clutching and matching revs/gears/road speed. You learned to think about what the car was doing, and think ahead to what happened next. The British machines I drove as my daily drivers in the 70's and 80's were all 50's-60's vintage things. Lord love the Moss gearbox fitted to the clapped out '59 Jaguar XK-150 I drove in college- straight cut gears and syncros only for third and fourth gear, but it did have electric-actuated overdrive. (Not to mention it's carbureted twin-cam 6cyl engine as an endearing feature.) Nary a college kid today who could hop behind the wheel of that elegant beast and maneuver it out of a parking lot- clutch be damned, they wouldn't know what the choke was for or how to start a recalcitrant cold analog based engine.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Beyond the skill it takes to employ one's left foot in the management of one's car, and the lack thereof in most of today's society, consider vintage machines with unsynchronized gear boxes. Not many of us around anymore who out of necessity mastered the art of double clutching and matching revs/gears/road speed. You learned to think about what the car was doing, and think ahead to what happened next. The British machines I drove as my daily drivers in the 70's and 80's were all 50's-60's vintage things. Lord love the Moss gearbox fitted to the clapped out '59 Jaguar XK-150 I drove in college- straight cut gears and syncros only for third and fourth gear, but it did have electric-actuated overdrive. (Not to mention it's carbureted twin-cam 6cyl engine as an endearing feature.) Nary a college kid today who could hop behind the wheel of that elegant beast and maneuver it out of a parking lot- clutch be damned, they wouldn't know what the choke was for or how to start a recalcitrant cold analog based engine.

gnoahhh, I'd bet most college students couldn't get my '68 SS Camaro 4-speed out of the parking lot. And that's a helluva lot easier than a '59 Jag. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

That reminds me, one of my early jobs as a teenager used old Army Mules for building trails and other maintenance. I had a ball on those things but can't imagine most modern-day teens even trying to drive one of those. Makes me a little nostalgiac...maybe I should try to find one for around the place....

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As my Tacoma stays muddy and nasty most of the time, I bought a car for a daily. I enjoy a manual, so I found a late model Accord Turbo with the 6spd. It's fairly fun for a FWD sedan. My wife doesn't like driving it though.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B3

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I have a 2012 Audi S4--Quattro with a supercharged V6--with a manual. It is such a hoot on a canyon road. I figure that it is the last driver's car I'll ever have. No lane departure warnings or smart cruise control or any of that. It's all up to you.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sticks are good. Lost track of the miles I covered with them. Probably something in the 750k range.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
doesn't it seem like all automatic transmissions are huge pieces of schit nowadays?

My wifes car has a 7 speed, I've heard of 9 speed in some cars, those CVTs are all crap. I have a 5 speed now that seems pretty solid but seems like transmissions were rock solid in the late 70's thru the mid 90's

A guy in the business told me they went to [bleep] when they stopped using whale oil -- no idea if that has any bearing or not, you know how those guys all like to say "back in my day".....

that said, I don't ever want a stick again. I basically want to drive a lazy boy recliner around. A 1 hour traffic jam on the interstate is all I need to never want a stick again.

Last edited by KFWA; 02/21/20.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Two of our three vehicles are manual transmission. I consider the manual transmission a good anti theft deterrent. I had an 18 year old kid helping me in the woods lasts year using our two manual shift (using a rocker button with no clutch) ATVs. He mentioned that he had a tough time climbing a hill and I asked when what gear he was in - he said third (I was in 1st). I had to sit down and explain gearing to him.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Thats like saying electric cars are now out selling covered wagons.
You sure have a way with words

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wish my truck was a manual, not avaliable.

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
That's ok, They can't parallel park either and it isn't a requirement for a drivers license. States that have ditched the skill include Alabama, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Virginia and Wyoming.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I don't miss a stick shift. Any current auto can be run "like" a stick shift anyway, if that's what you want to do. I'll take an auto all day every day.

No, it can't. Unless it is specifically set up to offer manual shifting, the manual shifting feature is largely window dressing. Shifts are lethargic, when they happen at all, and, by the time the shift takes place, the need for it has passed. Even in a car with the so-called "sport mode", shifts occur much more slowly than I would do with a manual transmission. We had one car (a Mazda 626) which had a 5 speed. Mazda, in their wisdom, put a restrictor valve in the hydraulic cylinder so the clutch would engage more gradually. The result was that you could not shift quickly. I had to deliberately wait , maybe a half second, for the clutch to engage. This was especially so when temperatures were on the cold side. A driver who is used to a manual transmission wants to whole system to respond as guickly as possible. In most modern cars, throttle response is also sluggish which makes smooth, quick, shifting more difficult. GD

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Dess
That's ok, They can't parallel park either and it isn't a requirement for a drivers license. States that have ditched the skill include Alabama, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Virginia and Wyoming.

Add Maryland to that list.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by utah708
I have a 2012 Audi S4--Quattro with a supercharged V6--with a manual. It is such a hoot on a canyon road. I figure that it is the last driver's car I'll ever have. No lane departure warnings or smart cruise control or any of that. It's all up to you.

A buddy is dangling his 2012 Audi TT, manual trans, in front of me. Low low mileage absolutely pristine, for a steal. Sorely tempted- may just hit the "buy it now" button. The car is a screamer- like driving something that would've outrun all of the entrants in an early 60's running of LeMans. (Not that it's faster. Brakes are light years better. Therein lies the true speed potential/applicability of any vehicle.)

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,600 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,932
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.