Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14590252 02/20/20
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/...g-500-pounds-trappingexpert-15070694.php

All it took was one shot for Joel Dudley and his friend Mike Huckabay, of Tarkington, Texas, to take down a nearly 500-pound feral hog in Liberty County Saturday.

Dudley, 47, frequently hunts feral hogs on ranches, farms and in Liberty County subdivisions through his business, Nuisance Wildlife Removal. His latest hog hunting excursion near the Trinity River in central Liberty County resulted in the capture of a 488-pound feral hog, a record for Dudley, who is an experienced, professional trapping expert.

"We knew this one was big but we couldn’t tell exactly how big," Dudley said. "I've been doing this my whole life [and] by far this is the biggest pig that I have literally seen myself."

Huckabay, who Dudley said is a veteran and marksman, made the one-shot kill. The pair uses thermal imaging to hunt the hogs at night, a time when their senses are at a disadvantage.

"With a thermal scope, you can actually get up to five yards (away from) them at night time," Dudley said. "Pigs have a poor sense of hearing and poor eyesight...the only thing they have is a sense of smell, so you have to kind of work the wind. If you work the wind right, you can walk right up to them."

The pig was so massive the pair had to bring in a tractor the next day to tow it off. That night Dudley and Huckabay shot six other pigs, each weighing a minimum of 200 pounds. Dudley said he sometimes offers the pigs he catches to families in need or arranges for other organizations to come and pick up the animals.

Feral hogs are considered an invasive species in Texas and have been significantly increasing in population around the state. The plague of these pigs can be seen across Houston's suburbs, where area residents report they cause severe damage to property, dig up lawns and frighten the elderly and children. In one rare case from last year, a 59-year-old Anahuac woman was killed by hogs outside a home along State Highway 61 in rural Chambers County, the Houston Chronicle reported.

Dudley said similar to what other Houston-area suburbs are experiencing right now, the massive pigs he hunts in Liberty County also wreak havoc on area residents and their property. It is estimated feral hogs cause $52 million in agricultural damages every year in Texas, according to the Texas A&M Natural Resources Institute.

"You are never going to make a dent in the population," Dudley said. "As soon as you shoot them, the next day or two you are going to have another 15 or 20 [pigs] on the ground... The population is just getting out of hand."

Dudley credits suburban development as the driving force behind the pigs encroaching on residents.

"The farther you move out into the country, you are actually pushing these animals from their natural environment," Dudley said.

A hunting license is required to hunt feral hogs, according to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. Dudley said anyone that decides to hunt the pigs themselves should "go for it," but warns they can be dangerous.

Dudley, along with his personal friend and country singer Jason Allen, also runs the Wicked Water Warrior Project. The organization helps arrange dream hunting trips and outdoor adventures for veterans and children battling life-threatening conditions. Dudley said Hurricane Harvey put the organization's operations on hold for the last two years, but plans are in the works to get it up and running again.

Last edited by mudhen; 02/20/20.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Dirty hogs, done dirt cheap"

LOL
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Near 2,000 lbs in one night that is a lotta hog...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
The trinity River runs through the middle of Liberty county. The river bottom land is perfect for feral hogs. Probably some bigger ones in there.

Last edited by hanco; 02/20/20.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hard to tell from the article, did he trap it before he shot it?

Heck of a hog!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
don't have to have a license to kill them anymore.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by hanco
The trinity River runs through the middle of Liberty county. The river bottom land is perfect for feral hogs. Probably some bigger ones in there.

I saw one on the Pecos River out of Mentone north of Pecos one time that upset and scared me. I could have shot the Volkswagen looking thing with big piglets but was afraid the 223 wasnt enough gun.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Should have earholed that big mofo Jag. She’d of dropped like a ton of bricks.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
She was moving too fast in 4 ft high thick brush with her back sometimes a foot higher than it. Like I said, Volkswagon.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
It’s a lot of fun to trap pigs!!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That is big. I would have never guessed they would get to that size. Thanks for posting

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
This pig was killed in Madison county ( close to Liberty county) a couple of years ago. It pegged a 600 lb scale. I know this man, he is 6 foot tall.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I've walked up on two in the 500lb range while turkey hunting, about 30 yards from them, eery feeling when all you got are turkey loads.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by killerv
I've walked up on two in the 500lb range while turkey hunting, about 30 yards from them, eery feeling when all you got are turkey loads.

You would make them mad!

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I don't know if the blonde dude is joking or not.....pic three in link posted

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Guy on the right looks like safariman!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by killerv

You would make them mad!

we've killed a couple a lot smaller with turkey loads, the last one was about 200lbs, 20yard shot to the ribcage, found it takes the air out of them and you can walk up for a head shot. Had about a 300 lb about trample us in the turkey blind, he's haulin butt across the powerline straight towards us and didn't change direction until the last second. It was just a black blur, they can be really fast.

standing on a pond bank in some thick stuff duck hunting, buddy all of a sudden started running out in to the water scared to death, he had one he says whose back was up to his waist step out 10ft to his right. So thick and still pretty dark I couldn't see it, next thing you know I could hear it breathing directly behind me. Fun stuff. I have yet to be chased though.

Last edited by killerv; 02/21/20.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Son in law just sent this, don’t know any particulars

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 02/21/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We had a guy on our place kill a hog and send us a picture just like that one. We later found out the hog was about 140lbs and the dude did some serious photo-staging with regards to his distance behind the pig and the pig's distance in front of the camera.

Now with even more aplomb
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

234 members (257 mag, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 280ACKIMP, 29 invisible), 1,273 guests, and 1,022 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,540
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.