Print Thread
Hop To
A
akgrant Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
For those that don't know, us lefties have a pretty good option for semi custom high quality rifles at a reasonable price. E.R. Shaw offers their mk vii gen ii rifles in LH (unfortunately not the new mk x as of yet) but you get your choice of about 50 calibers, any barrel length up to 26", and 3 stock options. Base price is about $1k and you can also add options like stainless, fluting for bolt and barrel, threaded barrel and a few other things which all are additional cost. They have a really good rifle builder on their site so you can see how it will look. Seems like one of the better options we have to get a variety of calibers.

GB1

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Ive had one for some time. Great to do business with.
6mm Ackley Improved, sprial fluted barrel and bolt, walnut stock. Great gun.

A
akgrant Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Nice to hear, I picked up a RH .375 H&H only because they have a 25% in stock special going on right now and no lefties. Figured it would give me a chance to see how good they are and give me something to play with while I wait for mine to come in if I order one. Just came in today, and it is very nice overall. nice smooth bolt and crisp light trigger

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by akgrabt
Nice to hear, I picked up a RH .375 H&H only because they have a 25% in stock special going on right now and no lefties. Figured it would give me a chance to see how good they are and give me something to play with while I wait for mine to come in if I order one. Just came in today, and it is very nice overall. nice smooth bolt and crisp light trigger

Let us know how it performs, I have been looking at getting a left hand model. That rifle has the Savage action, right? How do you guys like the Savage action, pros and cons?

NEVER GIVE UP
A
akgrant Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by BIGR
Originally Posted by akgrabt

Let us know how it performs, I have been looking at getting a left hand model. That rifle has the Savage action, right? How do you guys like the Savage action, pros and cons?

It is a savage action they have tweaked and improved. I received the rifle very quickly and the bolt is smooth as hell, very slick working the action, the trigger is clean and crisp with no creep and breaks at 3-3.5lb- very nice! Oddly right after getting it I received an email from them for a code for 20% off a new custom order, so it looks like this one will go up for sale, with an order in for the lefty now, lol!

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I've heard good things about Shaw rifles but have never handled one. Keep us posted.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Whats aprox cost of an LH SS build tried to use Shaw builder no luck.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
A
akgrant Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Whats aprox cost of an LH SS build tried to use Shaw builder no luck.

Well there are a bunch of variables there, some of the bigger calibers are a bit more in money, slight difference in stock price and then there are big differences if you want fluting or not. But I did a quick one to give you an idea-
Stainless barrel and action in .338WM no fluting with grey lam stock is $1100

A
akgrant Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
If you order before the end of the month you can get 20% off that

A
akgrant Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
$1235 for the same thing in .375H&H

IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
[quote=akgrabt]Nice to hear, I picked up a RH .375 H&H only because they have a 25% in stock special going on right now and no lefties. Figured it would give me a chance to see how good they are and give me something to play with while I wait for mine to come in if I order one. Just came in today, and it is very nice overall. nice smooth bolt and crisp light trigger

I had a few of these rifles built back in 2012, a 257 Roberts and 300 H&H. The 257 was on a synthetic stock that I don't think is offered any more. The 300 was built on their walnut stock. I found the walnut stock kind of off, doesn't really fit me well. To thick in the in the wrong places. I was thinking about having it restocked, but it is harder than I thought due to changes that Shaw does to the action. Below is part of an email from their representative concerning changes they do to the Savage action. Both rifles are very accurate and a good left hand option, I just wish I had opted for synthetic stock on both rifles.

Good afternoon
The action is a round design action like the Savage 10/110, we have them rough turned for us then we finish them
We use a .250 recoil lug, about 1/2 again bigger than the factory savage.
We do not use a barrel nut like save does.
The breech od of our barrels is wider and longer than a savage one is.
No Savage stock will accept a MK VII bbl/action.
Thanks again

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
-- Fred Bear
A
akgrant Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by mgorm16640
[quote=akgrabt]Nice to hear, I picked up a RH .375 H&H only because they have a 25% in stock special going on right now and no lefties. Figured it would give me a chance to see how good they are and give me something to play with while I wait for mine to come in if I order one. Just came in today, and it is very nice overall. nice smooth bolt and crisp light trigger

I had a few of these rifles built back in 2012, a 257 Roberts and 300 H&H. The 257 was on a synthetic stock that I don't think is offered any more. The 300 was built on their walnut stock. I found the walnut stock kind of off, doesn't really fit me well. To thick in the in the wrong places. I was thinking about having it restocked, but it is harder than I thought due to changes that Shaw does to the action. Below is part of an email from their representative concerning changes they do to the Savage action. Both rifles are very accurate and a good left hand option, I just wish I had opted for synthetic stock on both rifles.

Good afternoon
The action is a round design action like the Savage 10/110, we have them rough turned for us then we finish them
We use a .250 recoil lug, about 1/2 again bigger than the factory savage.
We do not use a barrel nut like save does.
The breech od of our barrels is wider and longer than a savage one is.
No Savage stock will accept a MK VII bbl/action.
Thanks again

The MK VII, which is all they currently have in LH, is indeed a savage action, though heavily worked over and improved. It worked out so well, they have created their own action called the MK X that used features from several manufacturers, and is a new modified controlled round feed, but they have not yet started making LH for that and can't tell me when. The stock design from 2012 is no more, they have a new source and they are much better than those were. Don't tell my wife but I actually ordered a .300 H&H and a .375 H&H since I was getting 20% off! I liked the right hander so much, I felt safe going for it, lol

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Are any synthetic stocks available for them, either from Shaw or any other stock manufacturers?

Dean

A
akgrant Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A

Originally Posted by kudu3
Are any synthetic stocks available for them, either from Shaw or any other stock manufacturers?

Dean

No idea, sorry. You'd have to call them

A
akgrant Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
If anyone wants, here is a code for 10% off a new build- SCBGAOS20

A
akgrant Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I finally have an update on the Shaw rifles I ordered. It took all of the estimated 5 month wait to get them, but given the current issues we are facing, I don't think that's bad at all. The rifles are very good and extremely accurate. I'm completely happy with them other than one small issue with the stock on the .375 H&H, which after messaging them, they quickly replied to and told me they would replace the stock. I had spoken to them before ordering and asked for stocks with some figuring and this one has none at all. There is nothing wrong with it, it's just not what was agreed upon prior to ordering, but they are making it right. That being said, they also put out discount codes fairly regularly, which is why I ordered mine, so you can get these rifles for around $1000 custom made to your specs. That is a hell of a deal for what I received in my opinion. There are more options , which will make it more expensive, but there are literally thousands of combinations for you to choose from, which makes it a hell of a deal for a lefty, and even better the pricing is the same for either side! I would definitely recommend any of you fellow lefties ordering your custom rifle from them. If you do talk with them, let them know the guy with the stock issue referred you, they will get a kick out of it, lol. I don't get anything, but I've been a bit of a thorn in their side over the last 5 months, so they will be happy to know it wasn't for nothing! I have been trying to get pics on here, but they want the file size so small I can't make it work. Would be happy to email anyone pics if they are interested.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
akgrabts rifles. Sweet!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (6mmCreedmoor, 338Rules, 16penny, 338reddog, 15 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 835 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,227
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.