Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I would like to paint the front sight for better viability. Whats the best paint to use?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a small can of rustoleum and a small brush.
It’s cheap and works. Unless you want a special glow in the dark color?
I went with white and a small can will last a long time in case you have to do touch ups.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Fingernail polish, I use white first then bright orange. Winston

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Actual sight paint is more visible than nail polish.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've used either nail polish or model car paint on a number. Didn't even know there was a special sight paint, learn something new everyday.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
model paint from hobby store, safety vest green

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by winston67
Fingernail polish, I use white first then bright orange. Winston

This^^^^. Best thing about it is you never have to buy any or worry about it drying up in the bottle. Your wife always has whatever color you want to go with. Used it for years.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I faced this issue awhile back--probably a couple years or more.

In reading the reviews on dedicated front sight paint, people weren't any more happy with it than they were with whatever they switched from--nail polish, paint from the garage, model paint, auto touch-up paint.

My conclusion was that the COLOR you use is what's important, not the dedicated purpose of your paint. I have a pistol with white nail polish on it (the official color is "Satin Sheets"). I have another pistol with pink nail polish on it (which I don't like, because it's not bright enough). I bought a pistol with some unknown fluorescent green on it that works fine still after 6 years or so. I have even used White-Out in a pinch. It chips off after time, though.

If I had to start over, I'd probably go nail polish shopping for a bright orange or fluorescent green color. Hobby paint in a suitable color would be just as agreeable.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like this one. Precise and no brush needed. As mentioned above, paint the sight white first which makes the sight color more pronounces. Paint the sight with orange (or whatever you prefer) then a coat of clear nail polish to help with durability.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044D2NLI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Easiest way is to simply get an Enamel paint pen in the color of your choice. The tip is designed for easy and precise application. $2 at any craft/hobby shop.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Glow in the Dark Florissant green or orange it gives a good two tone effect /mix n match

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Regardless of which color you choose don't paint the whole blade. Paint only a little at a time checking your sight until the painted portion of the blade just fills the rear notch. Reason being is that under some light conditions you will loose the top of the front sight and end up shooting high. By only painting what fits inside the rear sight box if you start seeing a different color in the bottom of the rear blade you will know the sights are out of proper alignment...

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the replies. Lots of ways to skin this cat.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the replies. Lots of ways to skin this cat.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Waders
I faced this issue awhile back--probably a couple years or more.

In reading the reviews on dedicated front sight paint, people weren't any more happy with it than they were with whatever they switched from--nail polish, paint from the garage, model paint, auto touch-up paint.

My conclusion was that the COLOR you use is what's important, not the dedicated purpose of your paint. I have a pistol with white nail polish on it (the official color is "Satin Sheets"). I have another pistol with pink nail polish on it (which I don't like, because it's not bright enough). I bought a pistol with some unknown fluorescent green on it that works fine still after 6 years or so. I have even used White-Out in a pinch. It chips off after time, though.

If I had to start over, I'd probably go nail polish shopping for a bright orange or fluorescent green color. Hobby paint in a suitable color would be just as agreeable.

I used my daughters bright orange nail paint. Don't tell her I have it... Had to file down the front sight on my 4506 so it shoots exactly where I want it at 12 yards... Pins you know... grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Walmart.....craft paints.....FolkArt brand GLOW paint in 2 fl oz containers

GLOW green 2874E
GLOW orange 2872E

Use a toothpick or similar to apply just the right amount to your sights.
Start with small dots and let it dry....if you decide you want a larger bead, add more until satisfactory.

This really made a big difference on the stock white dot sights on my Taurus 709 slim πŸ‘

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
if'n you like white dots i've had good luck with rustoleum appliance paint at lowes. comes in a small "whiteout"looking bottle.
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
Walmart.....craft paints.....FolkArt brand GLOW paint in 2 fl oz containers

GLOW green 2874E
GLOW orange 2872E

Use a toothpick or similar to apply just the right amount to your sights.
Start with small dots and let it dry....if you decide you want a larger bead, add more until satisfactory.

This really made a big difference on the stock white dot sights on my Taurus 709 slim πŸ‘

I got a small bottle of the orange at Walmart and applied it last night to the front ramp blade on my M-19. I used a flat toothpick as suggested for an applicator and let it dry for about 1 1/2 hours. Then added another coat. Just by judging the results inside the garage last night, I am very pleased with it. I don't yet know how durable this is going to be. I may need to cover it with a coating of clear nail polish. Time will tell.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

712 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 72 invisible), 3,136 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,268
Posts18,467,295
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.