Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Why did Ruger have to make the safety so small on the 77’s? My Kimber swing safety is perfect and so is the model 70. I actually always preferred the Remington 700 type 2 position the most but have become accustomed to the swing safety. When I worked in a shop in Kodiak we were selling.300 Winchester mags and .375 H&H Model 77’s to guys for hunting brownies and I always wondered if they would be able to get that safety off in a hurry if the need ever arose. Is it just me? And has anyone ever come up with an aftermarket larger safety for the77?

Last edited by Blacktail308; 02/21/20.

"May the LORD bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, may He be gracious and give you peace"
from Numbers 6:24-26

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Look for old models with flattened bolt handle and tang safety or just the tang safety, those were wonderful rifles. The safety location is perfect. Certain calibers are outstanding in terms of handling and balance the .35 Whelen being prime example.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have no issue with the size.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Agreed. I cheat the safety by popping it out slightly if I'm expecting a quick shot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Phil Shoemaker, 458Win here, posted a picture several years ago where he used Devcon to build up an extended tab on the Ruger safety. Along the lines of his famous "Ol' Ugly" in aesthetic value but he's all about results.

Here's the thread fwiw but the picture of this is long gone.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5726077/1

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by moosemike
Agreed. I cheat the safety by popping it out slightly if I'm expecting a quick shot.

ditto

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
My buddy suggested hunting with it at the half way position but I like Phil’s solution better. Someone needs to invent a screw in knurled extension that goes in the top to make it stick up a little higher.

"May the LORD bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, may He be gracious and give you peace"

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Always hunt with them in the middle position.

No reason to leave them all the way back. It is just as safe in the middle position as it is when full rearward.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Sell the Ruger and go back to the Winchester. That is what I did.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by hikerbum
I have no issue with the size.

thats what she said

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I would like them more if they were as accurate as the American rifles. Especially the predators

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve owned and hunted several MkII’s and Hawkeyes (including two MkII’s currently) and the safety lever has never been a problem.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by lastround
I’ve owned and hunted several MkII’s and Hawkeyes (including two MkII’s currently) and the safety lever has never been a problem.
Same here but I don't particularly care for them either, preferring a tang or side lever safety.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I own eight or nine Ruger bolt guns and the safety has never been a problem as I never use them.

I always hunt with the bolt on half cock. It's a simple matter to lower the bolt with the thumb if game is spotted. If I'm going through thick bushes or climbing a fence I close the bolt on an empty chamber.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rhe Ruger swing safety has never bothered me. Most of the time I have it in the "Fire" position over an empty chamber, which makes the manual of arms the same as my other bolt rifles regardless of safety type - load and fire.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I never gave it a thought until I read your post. The only safety issue that I ever had with my Mk ll was the "click" when I pushed it off that put a nice 8 point into launch mode. It made a simple shot into a tougher one when he stopped in the brush farther out. I've since learned to hold the top of the safety and let it down easily and silently.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Windfall
I never gave it a thought until I read your post. The only safety issue that I ever had with my Mk ll was the "click" when I pushed it off that put a nice 8 point into launch mode. It made a simple shot into a tougher one when he stopped in the brush farther out. I've since learned to hold the top of the safety and let it down easily and silently.
Didn't happen according to many of the "experts" here. Deer do not spook due to metallic clicks. But then alot of "experts" are fuggin dummies and aren't really as experienced or knowledgeable as they think they are.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I once owned a Browning BLR in 308 WIN - I racked it real easy one morning (being stealthy) and didn't realize I missed chambering a round until I fired it on an empty chamber at a doe standing about 50 yards away - she launched like a rocket when that CLICK sounded off! Sat there laughing my A$$ off at my own dumbness. Used to own a Ruger M77 MK-II in 257 RBTS, after many years of owning both Winchester M70's and old, M77 blue bolt/tang safety Ruger's I never grew to like the MK-II safety.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
When hunting, I always use my thumb and forefinger to move the safety to fire to keep down noise, unless the jig is already up.

Bolt-mounted safeties can be longer without sticking out too far.

Last edited by Pappy348; 02/22/20.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Rhe Ruger swing safety has never bothered me. Most of the time I have it in the "Fire" position over an empty chamber, which makes the manual of arms the same as my other bolt rifles regardless of safety type - load and fire.

That doesn’t work when still hunting......way too much movement and noise. I made the “click” with the safety on my Kimber a couple of years ago and watched a buck shiver all over when he heard it. Fortunately I made the shot.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,601 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,932
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.