Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
ctw Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Wondering what it should cost to duplicate a stock for lets say a ruger #1. Take a blank, duplicate, drill thru hole, fit to barreled action.
Leaving final shaping and finishing.

Thanks Chris

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
seems like an easy question but do you have the pattern stock you want duplicated or would it need to be made first. do you have a suitable blank? if you answer affirmative to the first two then I would guess the 200 to 300 for the rough turning depending on the complexity of the pattern and another 250 to 350 for the fitting. I don't like to tell anyone what they should work for but that is based on my prices a few years ago before I retired.

C
ctw Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
So 1300 to hand fit the duplicated stock to the action is out of line?

The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ctw
So 1300 to hand fit the duplicated stock to the action is out of line?

Does this include the blank or are you supplying the blank?

C
ctw Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I supplied blank and paid for duplication and through hole, then additional 1300 to hand fit?

The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Me thinks you could buy a new gun for that

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That seems a bit high. Around here stock duplicating is $100 plus wood; your wood and there is no guarantee if bad spots are found after duplicating. Hand fitting for a two piece stock is going to go from: (I don't want to mess with it on up) , but I would think well under $500.00. Many duplicators (machines) can duplicate down to .020" very easily inluding the inletting.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
http://gunstockduplicating.com/

Here’s your guy. He has a No. 1 pattern as well.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
How many ounces did the stock blank weigh?
How much did the stock you were cloning weigh?
Ag (silver) is going for $17.78 per troy oz.

Just for comparison as I couldn't find a price on Burlwood...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by sbrmike
there is no guarantee if bad spots are found after duplicating..

Not quite understanding what you mean here. Do you mean if somebody duplicates your blank and finds a bad spot in it they expect to get paid for their time running the duplicator???? I would.

Time is money and $100 to duplicate a stock is bottom dollar. I wouldn't expect a $100 semi inlet to be easy to inlet. Spend more and expect the smith to spend more time running the machine and the stock should be easier to finish inletting.

gunmaker
------------------
Custom Metalsmith & Stockmaker
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Clarification, around here, I know a few guys who duplicate stocks. If they hit a hidden defect in the process and it is the duplicator's provided blank, they generally eat the loss. If it is a customer provided blank, the customer pays for the job, i.e. a 2d duplication.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
that makes sense

gunmaker
------------------
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Maybe the stock maker just bought a fancy new machine?

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
C
ctw Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Well I got it back, thankfully got my barreled action back. I think the but stock is ruined and need to sleep on it and decide how to proceed, Very disapointed here, I will post pictures for thoughts tomorrow

The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
C
ctw Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
So I was thinking arround the same line as shooter 45 3-4 hundred to fit.
A little more to the story I sent my blank to a very reputable stock maker for duplication. My action an early dakota 10, i was told by dakota the early ones require differant inlet and passed this on to the stock maker, he says no problem he has patern for early and late.
Well he missed the through hole bored in wrong location and wrong angle. Call him up sent picts he says send it back I will fix it and pay shipping both ways please include the action. I decide to barrel it up and ask him just to fit it as it will probably be the only way the through hole will be right. Ask stock maker what it would cost he says he will take care of me.
I send barrel action and stock he duplicated back and ask for no bedding 7 days later he calls saying it is done and he will be sending it allong. I say thanks and ask what I owe he says 1300 my reply was dollars? He says yes my reply I was thinking 3-4 hundred he says not even close I get 4400 to stock a rifle. So I am stewing for a week while the rifle ships back. Pull it out of the box tang has a 1 inch crack he did not even try to repair and there is now bedding where I think he missed on his angle and came up through the tang as he missed a couple more times with the through hole.
I bring it to the local smith who says there is a good chance the stock is no good espessially if the tang area is nothing more than bedding. I have to sand about an 1/8 of an inch to get it close to the receiver we will see if the bedding grows or goes away.
Can I bring small claims across state lines? I nowhave a bill for 1385.00 he included with it and did not take care of the shipping either way.

Local smith says not even close to a 1685 job .

Looking for feedback and how you may proceed.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/14595505#Post14595505

The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
...wwooof, I'd put the gun back together just to go after the guy who charged me for that expensive piece of firewood...

But maybe an inlay, or a checkering panel, with some faux graining and staining would disguise it for field use.

One problem with those epoxied holes behind the top tang, is that they are where he stopped drilling, meaning they will likely get worse as you take more wood off..

His bill must be a joke, his way of deflecting responsibility. I know loggers who could do a better job on their lunch break

Last edited by JeffG; 02/29/20.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
So you commissioned the work without knowing a price????

Or....what was the agreement prior to the work???

Hard to complain about the price if there was no conversation and understanding prior to getting a bill.

C
ctw Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Mauser
A picture is worth a thousand words I will post a few more

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/14595505/duplicate-inlet

This individual touts himself a s being a stockmaker since 1972 and one of the original 7 founding members of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Without a doubt he knew the stock eas ruined before he shipped it back!

The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That's a really, REALLY old #10.
The tang crack is what happens when you inlet a wedge shaped tang with a hammer.
You need to contact the President of the ACGG. They used to have a way to deal with this kind of thing.

gunmaker
------------------
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I think I could have done that with a skill saw, and a horse shoe file!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
770 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 86 invisible), 2,904 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,704
Posts18,400,064
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.