Print Thread
Hop To
L
Lennie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
The US dollar value of this account is $58,000,000.00.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/cri...des-for-53-6m-bitcoin-accounts-1.4180182

A drug dealer who amassed a €55 million fortune in the cryptocurrency bitcoin has lost the codes to access the accounts after hiding them with his fishing rod, which has now gone missing.
The Criminal Assets Bureau (Cab) has confiscated the 12 online accounts, or wallets, containing 6,000 bitcoin. However, The Irish Times has learned the accounts cannot be accessed because the codes are missing.
It means the €53.6 million monetary value of the bitcoin inside them, which is the biggest case in the Cab’s 25-year history, is out of the bureau’s reach.
Garda officers said they were hopeful advances in technology would one day enable them to access the bitcoin so it could be sold.
Clifton Collins (49), originally from Crumlin, Dublin, bought most of the bitcoin in late 2011 and early 2012 using cash he made growing crops of cannabis. The crypto currency has soared in value since then. Collins spent some of his money buying a two-seater gyro plane and learning how to fly it.

Chance encounter with gardaí unmasked bitcoin millionaire drug dealer
In early 2017 he had just over 6,000 bitcoin in one account but he feared it may be too easy for a hacker to access. He decided to spread his wealth across 12 new accounts and transferred exactly 500 bitcoin, worth almost €4.5 million, into each of them.
Collins then printed out the codes for the 12 accounts onto an A4 piece of paper. He hid the paper inside the aluminium cap of his case containing his rod which he kept at his rented home in Farnaught, Cornamona, Co Galway.
But when he was arrested with cannabis herb in 2017 in Co Wicklow and jailed for five years, there was a break-in at the house and it was also cleared on behalf of the landlord with many of Collins’s items being taken to a dump in Co Galway.

Workers at the dump told gardaí they remembered seeing discarded fishing gear. However, waste from the dump is sent to Germany and China to be incinerated and the fishing rod case has never been found.
Punishment
Collins told gardaí he has had time to come to terms with the loss of the money and regarded it as punishment for his own stupidity.
Much of what he has told the Garda has been supported by a range of witnesses, including those who cleared his house, his landlord and others who helped him break up his bitcoin fortune into 12 accounts. Garda believe he has genuinely lost the codes for the accounts, which had not been accessed for a year before he came to the attention of the Garda.
The Dubliner is a former security guard who briefly became a beekeeper and won awards for his honey before he turned his attention to growing cannabis for more than a decade. Collins had much smaller amounts of bitcoin in other accounts, valued at €1.5 million, that the Cab has been able to access. Those bitcoin and more than €100,000 in cash has been seized from him.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
GB1

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Well, ain’t that hell??

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
See????!!!! It's all funny, until someone gets HURT!

BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
So the dumass stashed the codes in only one place? I would have had at least 3. I lose chit all the time if I don't have backups.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes. One can be absolutely sure that his codes are lost. Likely, he'll retire upon his release.

1Minute
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Lost the codes?

Sure he did.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by 1minute
Yes. One can be absolutely sure that his codes are lost. Likely, he'll retire upon his release.

This ^^^^^

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
codes for that much? they would be tattooed inside my foreskin!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
F

Cant the Wallets/accounts containing the Bitcoin chains have been confiscated. So no one gets the money. Unless the Coppers gain the tech to hack the accounts.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
There are alot of good stories about when bitcoin was in its infancy. Nobody thought it would take off and people threw $10-20 at it. Many of those bitcoin wallet codes were lost and now are worth millions and are unclaimed because of lost codes. The first thing purchased with BC was a pizza for 10,000 coins. Now that would be worth 90 million and it was only 10 years ago. The bitcoin bubble fascinates me!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Who took the money?

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L

Technology's great!

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by cra1948

This ^^^^^
+1,000...

Originally Posted by FatCity67
... Cant the Wallets/accounts containing the Bitcoin chains have been confiscated. So no one gets the money. Unless the Coppers gain the tech to hack the accounts.
My understanding, part of the premise is that the Block Chain coding cannot be easily hacked. This contributes to one of the allures of the cryptocurrencies in that they can be used to purchase contraband on the dark web with no way to trace the transaction.

Originally Posted by OAM
There are alot of good stories about when bitcoin was in its infancy. Nobody thought it would take off and people threw $10-20 at it. Many of those bitcoin wallet codes were lost and now are worth millions and are unclaimed because of lost codes. The first thing purchased with BC was a pizza for 10,000 coins. Now that would be worth 90 million and it was only 10 years ago. The bitcoin bubble fascinates me!
Yep, that $20 investment would have been worth $770K USD as of close of business yesterday. Would have been worth more than $1.2MM at the peak a year or two ago.

Interesting that this thread should pop up. One of the questions during my Tax Prep session on Wednesday was "Any gains or losses through trading of electronic currencies?" I told my tax guy that I would have to invest in it before I could benefit from it...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 16penny, 59 invisible), 2,368 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,254
Posts18,467,002
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.