R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Fanofthefortyone
Originally Posted by ShortMag11
Originally Posted by Fanofthefortyone
Meopta Meostar, pick the one that you like.
Ronnie

This would my pick as well. And I'd call Doug for the best deal on the one I chose.

Calling Doug is the only way I buy new optics .
Ronnie

My last optic purchase was with Doug and I’m planning on doing business with him again on this one as well. I just want the best scope possible for my #1 big game rifle that I plan taking on lots of hunts in the future. Buy once cry once. Doug is good but he can’t pick it for me ... that’s my dilemma. Lol

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
SWFA 3-9X42 MIL on most of my hunting rifles, and it's my favorite... hard to beat for the $.

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Id spend 5 or 6 hundred on a used Leupold and the rest on a decent set of earings for the wife.
Both would pay off well.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Several decent choices with that upper limit price in mind. I like and use the following and would look at these depending on how the scope was most often going to be used:

If dialing is not a preference:
SHV 3-10x42 Illuminated
Used NXS 2.5-10x42 (or 32) with capped turrets
S&B Klassic series (maybe used for $ depending on choice of power range).....I like the 6x42

If dialing is a preference:
Used NXS 2.5-10x42 (or 32) with zero stop
SWFA 6x42 or 3-9
Used LRHS 3-12x44
Tract Toric 2-10x42 (can be configured to dial or leave capped)

Personal preference on reticles that match the conditions you hunt in most often can make quite a difference in how much you like/use a scope....and how useful that scope is to you.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
What would you get???

Shots would be 450yds and under for all sorts of NA big game

For $1200 I would buy 2 or 3 scopes...........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'd buy a luepold 3-10, 3" high, @ 100, buy a couple extra tags other than what was planned, and have some more fun..

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blackbrush
Z3's don't hold zero's well. Z5 2.4-12x50 with BRH preferrably. There is no other choice that comes close IMO - unless you have to dial or have illumination. (although they make such a version but mixed opinions on dialing results) Excellent optics, light and small and super reliable....

I’ve been leaning towards this

.... I’ve also been considering same scope with a standard reticle and getting the custom elevation turret

Custom elevation turret is nice, but the BT that is available on multiple models works very well. The key to any elevation dial or ballistic turret is accurate data input.

FWIW, and if you se the need, Swarovski introduced illuminated reticles in the Z5 series for 2020.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

My last optic purchase was with Doug and I’m planning on doing business with him again on this one as well. I just want the best scope possible for my #1 big game rifle that I plan taking on lots of hunts in the future. Buy once cry once. Doug is good but he can’t pick it for me ... that’s my dilemma. Lol

I may not be able to pick it for you but I'd be glad to discuss some worthy options with you

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug

I may not be able to pick it for you but I'd be glad to discuss some worthy options with you

Thanks Doug for getting me setup!

Ended up ordering 2 of the Swarovski Z5s in 3.5 - 18 x 44 with the Ballistic Turrets ... one for myself and my buddy wanted one too. Doug offered them at great savings today! Can’t wait to get them mounted and give that Ballistic Turret a good test.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Depending on chambering, your 'good test' might make it to 600 yards.....

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Depending on chambering, your 'good test' might make it to 600 yards.....

Huntsman, I’m going to be mounting mine on my Win70 stainless classic in 30-06 and my buddy is putting his on a Savage High Country chambered in 308. We are only looking to get out to 400 or 500yds with them. Strictly hunting rifles and if we can’t get within 400yds of an animal then we will just have to pass on them and try again another day. We aren’t turret twisters but the Swaro Ballistic Turret system seems so simple that I can’t see how we hardly can go wrong with it for our main hunting rigs. I can’t wait to have some good quality optics! Up till now, Bushnell Elite 6500 & 4500 has been my best glass. The Swaro Z5 still has a 1” tube and remains fairly light at 17ozs. I think it’s a good choice for a 400 or 500yd max hunting rig. Time will tell!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep. Time will tell you the turrets suck. Take a test once you get it. Sight in, and get your dope. Take a pic of 5 rounds at your sight in target.Then start the test, shoot a round at your sight in target distance. Dial to your max distance target, shoot again. Dial back to first target, and run 5 rounds to each target dialling between each round/distance. 10 rounds total, five at each distance with dialling each shot, and cooling in between if you want. When done, post a pic of those two targets. Then compare the 2 sight in target groups..... I think you'll find that 'best glass' don't equate to 'best groups'. But what do I know, having only done that to 4 of 'em..... Enough to learn me that I'll never do it again with swaro. Give me good internals and glass good enuff to see the target, any ol' time.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
For a HUNTING rifle I would spend what it took to get a very good quality 4X and use the remaining money on powder, brass and bullets.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Swarovski 3-10x42

I'd go the 3-9x36.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Yep. Time will tell you the turrets suck. Take a test once you get it. Sight in, and get your dope. Take a pic of 5 rounds at your sight in target.Then start the test, shoot a round at your sight in target distance. Dial to your max distance target, shoot again. Dial back to first target, and run 5 rounds to each target dialling between each round/distance. 10 rounds total, five at each distance with dialling each shot, and cooling in between if you want. When done, post a pic of those two targets. Then compare the 2 sight in target groups..... I think you'll find that 'best glass' don't equate to 'best groups'. But what do I know, having only done that to 4 of 'em..... Enough to learn me that I'll never do it again with swaro. Give me good internals and glass good enuff to see the target, any ol' time.

This isn’t what I want to hear after ordering my most expensive scope to date! I thought I was finally doing something right by splurging on some good glass. Where were you a day or two ago??? Now I’m confused and aggravated.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

This isn’t what I want to hear after ordering my most expensive scope to date! I thought I was finally doing something right by splurging on some good glass. Where were you a day or two ago??? Now I’m confused and aggravated.

Great scope but as I suggested earlier, results are mixed on the turret model. I wouldve done the BRH if you're only going 4-500yds. You'll likely be fine in the end.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like these
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

.... like tears in the rain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Several of us on this thread tried to steer you towards a scope that will actually function properly for you if you do any dialing at all.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hell, maybe he got one that actually works. I've seen guys on the innerwebs say that they're great......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But it never seems to be a guy that actually shoots.....

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (Akhutr, 10gaugemag, Anaconda, 6MMWASP, AdventureBound, 338reddog, 4 invisible), 1,614 guests, and 790 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,201
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.