Campfire Sage
T

BP-B2

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
I choose an auto, but I must admit that a revolver would not have jammed in this situation. An auto is sensitive to jamming up due to a sloppy grip, such as we see here, where the guy put his support-hand thumb behind the slide. Did he know he wasn't supposed to do that? Did he have lots of live fire practice doing it right? Almost certainly yes to both. What happened was that he was overwhelmed by the urgency of the moment, and his motor coordination went to [bleep], resulting in a catastrophically incorrect grip, causing the jam. I don't think there's such a thing with revolvers. I'm sticking with my Glock, but this is a legitimate point to take note of.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
True, but if he had of needed 7 shots to deal with the situation he could of been in trouble.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i guess its all in what you practice with and can use instinctively. for me, its a revolver. they also seem the most intuitive for beginners. pick up, point, pull the trigger. i've never had a revolver jam on me in 10's of thousands of rounds. but i've had plenty of ftf, fte, etc in less shots in semi's. would hate to be dealing with that when a bad guy was bearing down.

My diploma is a DD214
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Have you never had a revolver jam? I've seen it.
A long time ago and a place far away. I don't remember the details now but I think it was an old S&W and their was some problem with the ejector -- backing off the threads or some such.

Retired cat herder.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by g5m
Have you never had a revolver jam? I've seen it.
A long time ago and a place far away. I don't remember the details now but I think it was an old S&W and their was some problem with the ejector -- backing off the threads or some such.

I didn't say revolvers don't malfunction. One, however, that is maintained properly, with a track record of reliable function, isn't going to jam because you gripped it wrong while using it in a gun fight.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
i carry a revolver most of the time.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It was an impressive defense by the guy coming from the back. John Correia notes that the fellow could have shot through the cabinet and certainly he could have but if he missed I wonder where the bullet would have gone--as in what's outside the shop? As it was he seemed to be shooting down at the bad guy with most of his shots.

And the bad guy wasn't the least bit hesitant to start shooting.

A lot of lessons in that video.

I appreciate your posting these, TRH.

Retired cat herder.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I guess I'm surprised he let the hoodrat go.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I guess I'm surprised he let the hoodrat go.

I don’t know, there is something kind of satisfying about the visual of him holding his side thinking to himself "damn, I think I need to go to the hospital"... I guess I’m just funny that way

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Admitting it would be hard to do, but that guys thumb could just about tie up the cylinder on a revolver. It tried to stop the slide once before it did.

Some draw & gun handling skills need practice, says this arm chair quarterback, but his shoot & move skills were very, very good. A big factor in his survival.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I dug my old Ruger Police Service Six out of the safe a while ago and have been keeping it handy.

Ruger made a big mistake when they discontinued the Security/Service Six line of revolvers.

I like all the name brand revolvers,..Smith, Colt, Ruger,...but the Security/Service Six was the strongest mid frame .357 made.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That employees movement was awesome. Too bad that fool was able to crawl off.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
It took the cops 12 minutes to arrive. That's actually fast for a big city.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Should have had a Ruger Alaskan 454 and the guys hip would have had to be mopped up off the floor.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I’d take my chances with a Glock 19 any day of the week over a revolver. Way more positives vs a wheel gun IMO. But each to his own.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I dug my old Ruger Police Service Six out of the safe a while ago and have been keeping it handy.

Ruger made a big mistake when they discontinued the Security/Service Six line of revolvers.

I like all the name brand revolvers,..Smith, Colt, Ruger,...but the Security/Service Six was the strongest mid frame .357 made.

And the Speed Six.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I choose an auto, but I must admit that a revolver would not have jammed in this situation. An auto is sensitive to jamming up due to a sloppy grip, such as we see here, where the guy put his support-hand thumb behind the slide. Did he know he wasn't supposed to do that? Did he have lots of live fire practice doing it right? Almost certainly yes to both. What happened was that he was overwhelmed by the urgency of the moment, and his motor coordination went to [bleep], resulting in a catastrophically incorrect grip, causing the jam. I don't think there's such a thing with revolvers. I'm sticking with my Glock, but this is a legitimate point to take note of.

A crappy grip is a crappy, regardless of chosen weapon.

He could have just as easily jammed his thumb between the hammer and frame on a revolver while pressing the trigger, or grabbed the cylinder due to the effects of inter limb interaction or hit the cylinder release,or....

You can clear most jams in semi autos that would turn you're revolver into an over priced rock.

Last edited by SBTCO; 02/22/20.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'll bet that's a sore thumb later on. The guy did a great job; sore thumb notwithstanding. GD

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

I didn't say revolvers don't malfunction. One, however, that is maintained properly, with a track record of reliable function, isn't going to jam because you gripped it wrong while using it in a gun fight.

Indeed, revolvers are infinitely easier to use under pressure and still more mechanically reliable.

Originally Posted by tndrbstr
True, but if he had of needed 7 shots to deal with the situation he could of been in trouble.

My 686+'s wouldn't have that problem...... smile

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
489 members (1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 43 invisible), 2,524 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,955
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.