Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I think a geo metro would be more your speed.

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by utah708
If towing is a likelihood, have you done the numbers on a basic F150? Get the 4-door cab and you could do anything and more that you could do in a small SUV.

Toyotas have such high resale value that it is hard for me pull the trigger on one used.

^^^This^^^

The F-150 will tow and haul better and with the V-6 Eco Boost engine get damn near as good fuel economy. And probably last as many mikes as a Toyota too. And you’ll have a real truck. 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by utah708
If towing is a likelihood, have you done the numbers on a basic F150? Get the 4-door cab and you could do anything and more that you could do in a small SUV.

Toyotas have such high resale value that it is hard for me pull the trigger on one used.

^^^This^^^

The F-150 will tow and haul better and with the V-6 Eco Boost engine get damn near as good fuel economy. And probably last as many mikes as a Toyota too. And you’ll have a real truck. 🤠

That is what my kids thought. Now they are trying to save up enough pennies to put a new transmission behind that snazzy little ecoboost.

Did you ever hear of a Toyota five speed failing?

Yes there is a reason used Toyotas command premium prices.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Whatever you choose to do, don't buy a 2 wheel drive vehicle.

Have a good friend down here, ranches cattle with his brother, goes out to Big Bend every couple of years, old school Texan, worked the oilfields back in the late 70’s.

He’s gone through three pickup trucks in the 35+ years I’ve known him, one of which was 4WD. He says in the five years he owned it he needed 4WD maybe three times 🙂

That's crazy, he used 4WD three times in five years?!

Must be dry and FLAT country.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
no, what is crazy is that the other 2 trucks must have lasted 30 YRS!!
smile My 2000 Silverado lasted 17, but only had 280,000 on it, when it rusted to death

IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
And then there are those of us who do not purchase a rig until it is twenty years old.

My daily commuter is a 92 Toy PU. When I hook up to a stock trailer or the RV, it is with a 96 GMC. But we do not have rust issues around here.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This^ My newest vehicle is a 2004 Honda, I bought it in 2017. 85, 000 miles

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I'd wait to buy a tow vehicle until I knew what my tow needs are. You might be able to get away with a tacoma or you may need the payload and stability of a 1 ton diesel. A lot can change and 7 years. For example my now traded in tacoma pulled my 1500lb pup up fine. But when I pushed it with an unloaded travel trailer that weighted 5500lb's (1K under max tow capacity) it was a miserable towing experience.

Last edited by nomad_archer; 02/22/20.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by reivertom
Some computer controls are very efficient and make great sense, like the fuel/air intake systems and peak transmission shifting. The problem is the manufacturers are out of control and making everything way more complex than they need to be. A prime example is the Emergency Brake on our car. Instead of a tried and true lever with a cable, it is electronic and very complex. On top of that, it isn't as user friendly and useful as the old type that could be applied in a braking emergency while driving. I have a service manual for our car and there is a large chapter devoted to only the electric Emergency Brake. That should tell you everything. There are some GM cars that have the radio controlled through the BCM, and to replace the radio, you need to have a technician program the computer to recognize it. Ridiculous.

All of this^^

Mechanical can be diagnosed by somebody with a bit of knowledge and skills. Diagnosing and repairing the current full blown computerized everything is out of the realm of the average guy, and even most private shops are generally a few years behind the curve. Vehicles last longer today, but when things wear out or break, it becomes a 4 figure visit to the dealer or almost equally expensive private shop.

A friend of mine is a GMC service manager and while looking under the hood at a 2020 Sierra 2500 with the new 6.6 liter, he mentioned the water pump is listed at $750 from GM. I'm sure the price will come down in a couple years, but still......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I think someone is looking for a Bernie Special: every option, great mileage, last forever, no payment, someone else pays for it. 😛

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B3

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by kid0917
smile My 2000 Silverado lasted 17, but only had 280,000 on it, when it rusted to death

If you live in a road salt area, you are just renting your vehicles.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
alpinecrick;
Top of the morning to you sir, it's nice to see you posting again, it seems like it has been quite a good while since you and I have communicated and I trust this finds you well.

Since it seems to be a vehicular sort of morning on the 'Fire, I'll repeat a couple of bits of information and hopefully be forgiven for doing so.

For almost a year now, I've been employed in a management position at a local Big 3 auto dealership. About 75%-80% of our sales are pickup trucks and of course it follows that same percentage of the trades are pickups as well.

Without writing a small book or large pamphlet on the subject, it would shock most folks outside "the business" at some of the shortcomings we see in ALL makes that cross the threshold of our overhead doors..... Full disclosure we see very few Lexus, BMW or Italian sports cars... the rest I've likely laid hands on.

Prices of repairs these days, as you've noted, are nothing less than sobering - perhaps they lead one to want to be less than sober too for that matter. For instance personally, my cost on getting my trailer plug working on the left signal was a cool $1400CDN - and I sourced the very last signal module available in western Canada for a 2003 2500 Dodge to do that.

How well I recall putting a good used motor into my '80 Toyota 4x4 for under $1000 plus some time.

To the OP or anyone else looking at a used vehicle, the site I've found which ticks all the boxes with the most consistency is these folks.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/

Hopefully that was useful information for someone out there looking to exchange their hard earned money for a vehicle.

All the best to you sir as we head into warmer weather and longer days.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BC30cal
alpinecrick;

Prices of repairs these days, as you've noted, are nothing less than sobering - perhaps they lead one to want to be less than sober too for that matter. For instance personally, my cost on getting my trailer plug working on the left signal was a cool $1400CDN - and I sourced the very last signal module available in western Canada for a 2003 2500 Dodge to do that.

Holy Cow! Was that part replacing a defective factory part, or were you adding something on to the trailer wiring? Generally parts for 2003 vintage trucks are not too expensive (engine/transmission parts for turbo diesels notwithstanding).

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Things to consider when buying a Subaru:

1. You’re going to have to buy a Golden Retriever.
2. You will constantly be having to buy new Birkenstocks
3. You’re family will finally know you’re a lesbian.

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Like I’ve been saying, sometime before too long I gotta buy a car so as to have it paid off before retirement...

Last year around this time you were thinking about consolidating your debt. Why would you want to add $25,000 to it?

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/13584623/1

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
You want something basic, that will tow a lightweight trailer. Holds you grandchildren, and gets twenty plus miles to the gallon! I have the car for you, 1952 Ford V8, two door coupe! Plus it is easy to work on and no computer! Only 56,000 miles!

Last edited by Heym06; 02/22/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by BC30cal
alpinecrick;

Holy Cow! Was that part replacing a defective factory part, or were you adding something on to the trailer wiring? Generally parts for 2003 vintage trucks are not too expensive (engine/transmission parts for turbo diesels notwithstanding).

alpinecrick;
Good evening to you sir, thanks for the reply.

While I could have patched into the left turn signal itself to give the rear trailer signal power I didn't want to start patching in wiring as the rest of the truck is pretty clean and doesn't have 100,000 miles on it yet.

The factory setup had a built in set of relays which supplied power to the trailer plug and one can't replace one relay on it - one has to replace the entire unit.

If it wasn't something I've had for more than a decade and hope to keep for sometime into the future, I wouldn't have sunk that kind of money into it. However it is both and I sorta like having the trailer lights working properly here in the BC mountains, you know?

Hopefully that made sense even if my decision to fix it doesn't! laugh

All the best to you again as we head into longer days sir.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pal
Like I’ve been saying, sometime before too long I gotta buy a car so as to have it paid off before retirement...

Last year around this time you were thinking about consolidating your debt. Why would you want to add $25,000 to it?

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/13584623/1

Because I expect to be out of credit card debt by the end oof this year, a fairly confident prediction based on the prior three years. Said original credit card debt originally by a very large margin more than the proposed vehicle purchase price, until the debt consolidation said credit card debt was about six times the anticipated interest rate of a vehicle loan.

I shoulda consolidated two years earlier. Water under the bridge.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

The guy has always managed his money well, always had a car and a motorcycle in addition to the truck as a daily driver. As noted, the only rusted out vehicles around here are those that get driven on the beach a lot.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for the link Dwayne, in a quick look I didn’t note an undue number of Koran cars on the problem list, surprising.

Seems Toyota Camrys are suspect, quite a few Hondas too. Ford and Chevy overrepresented, no surprise there.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
701 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 76 invisible), 2,747 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.