Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have enjoyed hunting NW Colorado for 15 straight seasons. The weather has usually been all over the place 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons, so one just has to be prepared to suck it up and go. If it gets too tough financially, physically, license draws, game numbers, etc, I’ll find someplace else. “I was looking for a place to hunt when I found this one”. Embrace the Suck....
Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by saddlesore

I have been ML hunting since 1976.My memory isn't all that good, but I can remember only three times we had snow.Once was in the 79's and it was a real freak storm.

What elevation, all my hunts were 9,500+, that could be the difference. 2001 was a pretty good one in the Rawahs.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by battue
Like it or not, however many private land owners have proven they know how to mange their property for numbers and quality. Yet the whole concept escapes what are supposedly educated wildlife biologists?

Those who want to believe there may not be another master plan are more trusting they I.

One thing to think about: The wildlife biologists merely make ‘recommendations’ to the wildlife commissioners, who are appointed by the governor. Those appointees are the ones who make the decisions.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Then there may just be another master plan????

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The naive went along with introducing Wolves with the historic location line. The thinkers knew what it would do to hunting numbers. “If the population can’t support hunting, then all must agree to close the season. And you will fight decades of legislative challenges to have it reopened.” Thus the master plan.

Last edited by battue; 02/22/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ro1459
I thought, according to the article I read, that the herds affected were in the SW portion of Colorado. After I read the article, I called an outfitter friend of mine in NW Colorado and was told that the herd up that way has not been affected, but CPW is watching it closely. Over in the NW they are more concerned with the fact that there are now wolves living there that will affect the elk herds in the coming years.

On the other hand,and outfitter I know that operates in Unit 12 and I hunt the same area ,I asked her the same question and her reply was that elk numbers were down.Most outfitters won't tell the numbers are down you because who is going to sign on when the numbers are down and your success rate will be less than desirebale.

I also hunt near her every year and was surprised when the other outfitter (Unit 24) told me the numbers were the same. I have not spoken to Jeanne about this yet but plan to speak with her next week. I was surprised to hear the numbers were the same, because I have seen fewer elk every year for the past three years. I've still seen elk, but they are in smaller groups or by themselves. Whereas, twelve years ago when I started hunting that area, the elk were in larger herds and could be found easily. Not lately. Even the BLM land down by Larry's has fewer elk. Not worth climbing that mountain to get there unless there is a heavy snowfall up top.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
its probably WOLVES ,i have notice all states have many DNR people who are mostly peta type people and want to save WOLVES,these DNR peta type people act like there are hardly any wolves. where i hunt in Montana 15 years ago there were more elk and even plenty of moose but i started noticing less moose every year then the last 2 years i never seen a moose and it seem like less elk too. believe me its wolves i live in northern Minnesota we have plenty trouble with WOLVES but we have plenty liberals and peta DNR people in Minnesota too who just wanna save WOLVES,including the new liberal Minnesota Governor. yep save the dang Wolves !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by smokepole

I have been ML hunting since 1976.My memory isn't all that good, but I can remember only three times we had snow.Once was in the 79's and it was a real freak storm.

What elevation, all my hunts were 9,500+, that could be the difference. 2001 was a pretty good one in the Rawahs.

The Flat Tops are right at10,000 ft where I hunted. Vail about 9500 I would guess. Unit 12, 95000 up. Last year ML there was about 4"up at 10500 opening weekend. The big snow I mentioned was clear down to my place at 7650

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by pete53
its probably WOLVES....... !

LOL, have you ever hunted elk in SW Colorado, Peter?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
For what it's worth, those units that went drawf or archery, all cow tags are now "A" tags for archery, ML, and rifle except for private land owners.

Funny how that cow jumps the fence and becomes a "B" tag. You think there isn't some collusion between CPW and landowners,?

Last edited by saddlesore; 02/22/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I don't know, I think it's a given that private land is for the most part much less pressured than public, and the elk do tend to gather there once the shooting starts. That might be the rationale for the b tags.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Wait until they plant (more) wolves

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm really hoping the dreaded agricultural lobby comes through but with a ballot measure you never know what's gonna happen.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by pete53
its probably WOLVES....... !

LOL, have you ever hunted elk in SW Colorado, Peter?

Smokey, NO , have you ever been around wolves ? wolves are very smart animals ,i have been around wolves all my life. i just brought up a positive thought. don`t you think wolves are in Colorado ? i don`t hunt in Colorado but i bet there are wolves there and your DNR are keeping it quiet too.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Smokey, NO , have you ever been around wolves ? wolves are very smart animals ,i have been around wolves all my life. i just brought up a positive thought. don`t you think wolves are in Colorado ? i don`t hunt in Colorado but i bet there are wolves there and your DNR are keeping it quiet too.[/quote]

Actually, the CPW is finally admitting that there are wolves in Colorado. We saw one that looked like a wolf three years ago and reported it. Only to be told we were wrong. Well it looks like we were right. We saw it in the Thornburg area in NW Colorado.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I don't question if there are wolves here. What I question is their impact on elk, today. Especially is SW Colorado where I've been hunting for about the past 20 years. Never seen a track a pile of scat, or heard a howl down there.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
here in Minnesota the DNR tells us,here in Minnesota we have no Mountain Lions/Cougars either but people have been taking pictures of these big cats for years,matter a fact around 55 years ago one was shot in a tree within 100 yards where i live in the country,mounted and a printed picture was in the newspaper too. yes there are probably a few packs of wolves in Colorado your Colorado DNR people are keeping it quiet.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Well, if there wasn't three feet of snow in their prime winter range ( my back yard) and the DOW wasn't chasing them with helicopters and airplanes every coup!e of days to "count them" there might not be so many dying.

The winter of '07-'08 was really hard on elk numbers and they never really came back. Now two winters in a row we've had ass deep snow that gets crusted over between storms making it tough for the elk to paw through to get at feed.

That and cow seasons that last into January . . . . . .

RJ

Last edited by recoiljunky; 02/24/20.

When you go afield take the kids. . . . . . . . and please, wear your seatbelts.
Alder, Montana Native. . Transplanted to Craig, Colorado.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
It aint wolves, yet. Pressure that impedes breeding, competition with sheep, cattle, even horses, surprise weather that impacts calving,

CPW manages money. More hunters decreases success and may impact natural breeding. I had some guy tell me there were bulls all over because if all the bugleing but all he saw was orange. Go figure that one out.

I have never believed their counts,

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 46 invisible), 1,821 guests, and 1,057 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,182
Posts18,465,649
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.