I bought a Patriot in 300 Win mag about three years ago. Why did I do this? There is so much plastic in this gun, I was embarrassed, and headed to the range very early in the morning to check it out before anyone else got there. crazy

Obviously it's not my preferred blued steel and lovely walnut, but it cost only $400 plus taxes and weighs exactly 6 1/2 pounds. Put a 3-9X40 Burris FF II on it, then loaded five, 3-shot test loads, using180 gr Hornady SST plinkers and some old H450 to find out what the fuss was all about.

Best group went close to an inch and was 3067 fps out of the 22" barrel, no noticeable signs of excessive pressure. Recoil was not as ferocious as one might think. Scoped, the outfit weighs 7lbs, 11oz. That's 1lb, 3oz, lighter than my Vanguard 338 Winchester in its Carbelite stock. The recoil is about the same in both rifles.

The trigger continues to break clean as a glass rod, and load development proved the rifle to be easily a sub moa shooter just as it came from the factory in its plastic stock.

In spite of what the naysayers and myself thought, the rifle is certainly a good bet for someone looking for an inexpensive handy rifle. The 22 inch barrel in a 300 mag was new for me, but a pleasant surprise.

Having said that, I no longer own the rifle. A sheep hunter up here was so impressed with it he bought it from me. smile

Ted