Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Would like to replace the trigger on a Weatherby Vanguard and have it down to these two. I've used Timney in the past, but wondering about the Rifle Basix. I've read online reviews, but am interested in hearing what actual users have to say. Thanks in advance for your replies. Dean

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
BP-B6

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Bought a rifle basix awhile back , first one ever. It will be the last one. Have purchased Timneys in the past and never got a bad one . The rifle basix has creep , safety is stiff and cluncky and the thing reeks of cheapness.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have no issue with all the Timneys I've bought with the exception for the Savage 110 and I can't get the pull weight I want without it dropping while aggresively closing the bolt unless I put a touch of creep in it.

A friend has a couple of Savages with Rifle Basixs without that problem. Otherwise I'm happy with the Timneys.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
I have no issue with all the Timneys I've bought with the exception for the Savage 110 and I can't get the pull weight I want without it dropping while aggresively closing the bolt unless I put a touch of creep in it.

A friend has a couple of Savages with Rifle Basixs without that problem. Otherwise I'm happy with the Timneys.
I've had a Rifle Basix in my Savage .223 for about 10 years now and it's been great. No discernible creep at all.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I had a Rifle Basix on a custom KMW with a Surgeon action. After 1K+ rounds, the RB trigger developed creep that couldn't be re-tuned. I called my 'smith and he had recommended to move to a Timney which is what I did.

I have Timney, Shilen, RB, Jewell and TriggerTech triggers. Timneys have never let me down. My first choice these days is a TriggerTech if available for that platform.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had one RB trigger for over 10 years in a Ruger 77. The rest have Timneys. No issue with the RB, but it is not as "crisp" as the Timneys.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
nothing wrong with timneys but I sure like my trigger tech also.

MOLON LABE
N
ned Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
timney over Basix

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ned
timney over Basix

+ 10

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by devnull
I had a Rifle Basix on a custom KMW with a Surgeon action. After 1K+ rounds, the RB trigger developed creep that couldn't be re-tuned. I called my 'smith and he had recommended to move to a Timney which is what I did.
Why did the RB develop creep and why couldn't it be tuned out ?

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The only thing worse than RB is the AHole owner of that company when you call with a question. Never again.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Doesn't look like TriggerTech offers anything for a Weatherby Vanguard. Just ordered a Timney. As said, I've used them in the past with good results and not enough positive mentions here for Rifle Basix for me to try one. Thanks for your input, appreciate it. Dean

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 02/22/20.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Soft metal in the sear area which caused it to be deformed. You could see and feel the difference in the metal. Never again.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Soft metal in the sear area which caused it to be deformed. You could see and feel the difference in the metal. Never again.
Sounds like you got an improperly heat treated part. It happens occasionally to almost every manufacturer and often it doesn't get caught in QC because the QC guys are lazy, stupid and/or incompetent too. Almost impossible to get good, competent help anywhere in any business these days.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have used both on Rem 700’s and prefer Timney.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I put an RB on a friend's Stevens 30-06. Required quite a bit of modification to make it fit. Not impressed.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have used Timney, Triggertech and rifle basix triggers and prefer the Triggertech if available, Rifle Basics would be my third choice of these three....Good luck with your Timney 👍....Hb

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Borealis Bob
I put an RB on a friend's Stevens 30-06. Required quite a bit of modification to make it fit. Not impressed.
The one I put in my Stevens required no modification at all and adjusted easily to a 2.5 lb pull with absolutely no creep or overtavel.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I vote Timney.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Borealis Bob
The one I put in my Stevens required no modification at all and adjusted easily to a 2.5 lb pull with absolutely no creep or overtavel.

Likely inconsistent QC . Glad it worked well for you.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
635 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,852 guests, and 1,417 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,259
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.