Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Looking to buy either single or double hard sided rifle cases. Need to fit 26" barrel rifles (inside length 50" + or so?). Room for larger scopes especially in a double rifle case.

Don't want to spend a whole lot of money. Maybe a Pelican clone? Harbour Freight Apache maybe?

Any ideas for a lighter weight case that is sturdy and not expensive?

Thanks

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

BP-B6

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have gone to all hard cases for rifle transport. It depends on what level of protection you're looking for. Are you looking for airline compatible or just back-of-the-pickup truck compatible? I've got a couple of the latter that were not particularly expense, probably less than $50 each, which have given me good service for years. There are a number of options. An airline rated one, however, is a totally different level of protection and cost. The main thing that I look for are the latches. They should be positive and durable. When not in use, I leave them open to insure no moisture is trapped.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I'm a fan of SKB cases.
I like the egg crate foam, I can fit anything that fits as opposed to cutting foam and it's fit to that specific gun/scope.

Another alternative I like the concept of is an empty hard case and place a soft sided case placed inside.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I bought a Cabela's Armor Xtreme single rifle case about 5 years ago. Got it on sale for $75 w/free shipping. Bomb-proof case with the best steel draw latches I have ever seen on a gun case. Now it's priced at about $125. I think that before paying that price, I'd give the nod to Pelican, since Bass Pro will no longer honor Cabelas' lifetime warranties.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have all hard cases. I have aluminum cases.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks all. I have two SKB single rifle cases that I bought over 10 years ago and really like them.

I checked on those again and see them for 149.00 each now! Whoa!

After a little digging I found them at Sierra Trading Post for 99.00 and free shipping. Decided to get a couple more. Not cheap but very good cases.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Pelican 1750

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have flown several times around the world with my pelican but for general use I think I would look hard at harbor freight Apache line their 1/3 to 1/2 Price

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Kalispel Cases Double Scoped Rifle

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Looking to buy either single or double hard sided rifle cases. Need to fit 26" barrel rifles (inside length 50" + or so?). Room for larger scopes especially in a double rifle case.

Don't want to spend a whole lot of money. Maybe a Pelican clone? Harbour Freight Apache maybe?

Thanks

I've earned over 3,000,000 air miles since college 37 years ago, a predominant percentage with a rifle along. My career revolved around construction and engineering. By choice, I started in oil and gas in the North Sea. A huge contingent there of Norwegians, Scots, Canadians, etc. etc. are hunters...and serious world hunters due to the big $$ earned in the industry. I was quickly turned on to survey cases for gear transport and have never looked back...and...have never had an issue. I have old school Zeiss, Leitz, Topcon....but, the modern standard is Seco:

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

You can find them for the $300 range and NOTHING works better...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ringworm
Pelican 1750

X2 !!

Not the lightest. Not the cheapest. But HELL for stout !!!!!

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Journeyman

Thanks

I've earned over 3,000,000 air miles since college 37 years ago, a predominant percentage with a rifle along. My career revolved around construction and engineering. By choice, I started in oil and gas in the North Sea. A huge contingent there of Norwegians, Scots, Canadians, etc. etc. are hunters...and serious world hunters due to the big $$ earned in the industry. I was quickly turned on to survey cases for gear transport and have never looked back...and...have never had an issue. I have old school Zeiss, Leitz, Topcon....but, the modern standard is Seco:

Yeah I have a Tuffpak and wouldn't have anything else for airline travel.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

Thanks

Where can you find these? Link please?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Originally Posted by ringworm
Pelican 1750

X2 !!

Not the lightest. Not the cheapest. But HELL for stout !!!!!

X3

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 4winds

Thanks

Where can you find these? Link please?

https://nalpak.com/brands/Tuffpak.h...utm_term=Tuffpak&utm_content=Tuffpak

I've got the one with wheels. One advantage is that most people assume it is for your golf bag and have no idea you are carrying guns although once in Buenos Aires they flagged us through customs and we ended up out on the street and had to go back in to check our rifles in with the police.

Last edited by Blacktailer; 02/24/20.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Tuffpak makes a great travel case for guns, no doubt. I used to own one, and sold it because of the hassle of having to unpack everything at TSA, Customs, etc., just to get to the rifle or rifles. The sack that you can buy was of some help, but if you have clothing and other gear packed around your rifle, it is still a pain to load and unload.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You would have a hard time finding a better case than the Harbor Freight units for any money. They are very stout, have good latches, priced right, and are very spacious inside.... there are some surprising deals at Harbor Freight if you shop carefully...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Skimping on a hard case for airline travel is a fool’s errand. Pony up the $200+ and buy Pelican case. HF is fine for tools that you might only use a few times, but if I am protecting my rifles and the $$ spent on a hunting trip, I am buying the best I can find. To each his own.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Tuffpak makes a great travel case for guns, no doubt. I used to own one, and sold it because of the hassle of having to unpack everything at TSA, Customs, etc., just to get to the rifle or rifles. The sack that you can buy was of some help, but if you have clothing and other gear packed around your rifle, it is still a pain to load and unload.

Not to mention it is grossly overpriced and if the lock breaks, you're SOL.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by JeffyD
I bought a Cabela's Armor Xtreme single rifle case about 5 years ago. Got it on sale for $75 w/free shipping. Bomb-proof case with the best steel draw latches I have ever seen on a gun case. Now it's priced at about $125. I think that before paying that price, I'd give the nod to Pelican, since Bass Pro will no longer honor Cabelas' lifetime warranties.

Ditto on the Cabela's case. I believe they are made by Boyt.

https://boytharness.com/product/h52sg-single-long-gun-case/

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
636 members (219DW, 09wingates, 219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,568 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.