Hop To
Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by John55
I am never completely sold on any particular bullet BUT the TTSX has never failed myself or others I hunt with. Maybe it's because we all shoot high velocity type cartridges or maybe other reasons but the bullets have never failed to perform as advertised. We've not taken or seen them used on 100s of animals but we have used them enough to gain a healthy level of confidence in them and make them first choice for any future hunting of elk or other large game. That said, I can understand the position Brad has taken about them, I have taken that same one with Nosler Accubonds, one of the favorites of many here on this forum. Years ago when my friend Allen Day and I tried them we both had some miserable performances with them and we both swore we'd never hunt with them again. Been 15 years and I still haven't and won't bother with them thanks to bullets like the TTSX and others.

Excellent post..

Scenarshooter, the most expiereanced and accomplished hunter on this thread doesn't trust them. There are reasons for this.

GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by John55
I am never completely sold on any particular bullet BUT the TTSX has never failed myself or others I hunt with.

I did not read the entire thread, but JJHack is sold on the TSX out of the plain ol' 06 (IIRC).

He's been involved in taking more critters than most on this board.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BWalker

Barnes has continued to change their bullets since the original X bullet came out. This is for good reason.

Every bullet manufacturer, Every Rifle manufacturer, Every car manufacturer, etc etc........

Continues to offer new products and developments,

It's called increased revenue and growth.

Business 101.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
[
Scenarshooter, the most expiereanced and accomplished hunter on this thread doesn't trust them. There are reasons for this.

I'll take John 55's experience as extensive. I know this for a fact.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WAM
Nothing makes up for pizz poor shooting. One thing to also consider with the TSX is that if it hits grass or twigs, etc., the tip cavity may clog and the hydraulic pressure required for expansion isn’t going to occur. Try shooting a TSX into dry paper or wood and see what happens. Want to make some armor piercing rounds? Fill the TSX hollowpoint with epoxy or JB Weld.

I think there is some truth to this.
Went out to shoot and bought some federal monos with out a tip from Walmart. Found a pieces of 4x6 and Shot through the 6” width. I’ll just say I was expecting much bigger exit hole. It looked more like it penciled through.

This might have been the anomaly or what’s said above Is true.
All I know every animal I’ve have shot with ttsx the results are excellent. Massive damage and penetration.

Only gripe about barnes is they are expensive. But I’m fortunate my 270 shoots 140 sst same poi as the 130 ttsx so it’s cheap to practice all year long.

Last edited by Dre; 02/22/20.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by WAM
Nothing makes up for pizz poor shooting. One thing to also consider with the TSX is that if it hits grass or twigs, etc., the tip cavity may clog and the hydraulic pressure required for expansion isn’t going to occur. Try shooting a TSX into dry paper or wood and see what happens. Want to make some armor piercing rounds? Fill the TSX hollowpoint with epoxy or JB Weld.

I think there is some truth to this.
Went out to shoot and bought some federal monos with out a tip from Walmart. Found a pieces of 4x6 and Shot through the 6” width. I’ll just say I was expecting much bigger exit hole. It looked more like it penciled through.

This might have been the anomaly or what’s said above Is true.
All I know every animal I’ve have shot with ttsx the results are excellent. Massive damage and penetration.

Only gripe about barnes is they are expensive. But I’m fortunate my 270 shoots 140 sst same poi as the 130 ttsx so it’s cheap to practice all year long.

No truth to it IME. Shoot them in a dry media and get back to us.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Kenneth

Barnes has continued to change their bullets since the original X bullet came out. This is for good reason.

Every bullet manufacturer, Every Rifle manufacturer, Every car manufacturer, etc etc........

Business 101.

Or it's called fixing bugs. No one can objectively say the first three generations of Barnes monos have issues.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bwalker
These were not barnes. They were federal shock copper

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Dre
Bwalker
These were not barnes. They were federal shock copper

Matter not. Neither requires fluid to make them expand.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Guess the folks at Barnes either don’t know their product, are liars, or someone on the Fire doesn’t know sheit from Shinola. You choose...

From Barnes website FAQ:
Will TSX Bullets shoot through deer-sized game?
Yes, in most instances TSX Bullets will completely penetrate deer-sized game. Hydraulic pressure causes TSX Bullets to open as soon as they strike tissue. TSX Bullets are known for their superb penetration. Even when they penetrate completely through game, these bullets create a very large wound channel and cause massive shock to the animal’s system. These amazing all-copper bullets live up their promise of “more one-shot kills”.

Do TSX Bullets always expand on game?
Because our TSX Bullets are solid copper and have a specially engineered nose cavity, it is nearly impossible for them not to expand. The cavity opens up as soon as hydraulic pressure is applied to the nose cavity. Once the bullet strikes flesh, it immediately opens, creating four razor-sharp petals that slice through tissue. Ballistic tests in gelatin show good bullet expansion within the first inch of penetration.

Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Business 101.

Or it's called fixing bugs. No one can objectively say the first three generations of Barnes monos have issues.

I shot a bunch of original Barnes X bullets and found expansion to be inconsistent, even at 7mm RM velocities. I quit using them as a result. TSX were very accurate in every rifle I tried them in but I decided not to use them on game so have no experience there. Have been using the tipped X bullets (MRX, TTSX and LRX) since they first came out and have been impressed with the wound channels.

I really wanted the first generation Barnes X bullets to work, but they didn't work reliably. I dropped a coyote at 75 yards or so with no visible entrance or exit wound. Another had a softball sized hole. One antelope took three shots total with a 160g X bullet. It laid down after the first two but kept its head up as if sunning itself. We circled around and the third round, from another angle, took part of the heart and put the unfortunate animal out of its misery. For me, that kind of performance indicated a definite "problem" with the X bullet design.

The third generation MRX and fourth generation TTSX and LRX have worked reliably, no problems encountered - no signs of failure to expand in over 14 years of use by my hunt group, coyotes and antelope to elk

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

Business 101.

I shot a bunch of original Barnes X bullets and found expansion to be inconsistent, even at 7mm RM velocities. I quit using them as a result. TSX were very accurate in every rifle I tried them in but I decided not to use them on game so have no experience there. Have been using the tipped X bullets (MRX, TTSX and LRX) since they first came out and have been impressed with the wound channels.

I really wanted the first generation Barnes X bullets to work, but they didn't work reliably. I dropped a coyote at 75 yards or so with no visible entrance or exit wound. Another had a softball sized hole. One antelope took three shots total with a 160g X bullet. It laid down after the first two but kept its head up as if sunning itself. We circled around and the third round, from another angle, took part of the heart and put the unfortunate animal out of its misery. For me, that kind of performance indicated a definite "problem" with the X bullet design.

The third generation MRX and fourth generation TTSX and LRX have worked reliably, no problems encountered - no signs of failure to expand in over 14 years of use by my hunt group, coyotes and antelope to elk

How many instances of poor expansion did you experience? I would be interested to hear about them, if you're willing.

I also used a lot of original X bullets, and never experienced anything like that, though I am aware that there are many people who did experience sub-par performance with that bullet. I did shoot a Pronghorn with a 160gr X from the 7RM, just as you did, on a hard-quartering shot. The bullet entered the onside shoulder/brisket intersection and exited the offside near the tail. The buck had the same reaction as yours did, dropping to the ground but keeping its head up. Another shot to the neck ended it. When I opened the pronghorn up, however, I found that the quartering bullet had expanded and done plenty of damage. The old buck was just a little tougher than most, I guess.

Again, it's totally normal for companies to make adjustments to existing designs and manufacturing processes to try to improve performance. The PT has undergone different methods of making the jackets, different longitudinal placement of the partition, different jacket thickness profiles, different lead alloys (IIRC), etc, to try to optimize performance. This is a good thing. The original X bullet, like the original PT, the original automobile, and even the original toothbrush, was a good albeit imperfect design. Subsequent modifications after inception have improved performance in all of these cases.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

How many instances of poor expansion did you experience? I would be interested to hear about them, if you're willing.

Jordan -
Most of my testing was done on coyotes because the X bullet was new to me and I had read about failures to expand. I mentioned the two coyote examples that stick in my head, but there were others that had me doubting the reliability of the X bullet. About that same time Dad gave me his .22-250 and I quit using the 7mm RM for coyotes.

The antelope was the first and last big game animal where I used the X bullet - it shouldn't have taken three through the chest to put it down for good. After the experience with the antelope I went back to the 160g Grand Slam that had served me well for 20+ years with no failures. Now, with 14 years experience with the MRX/TTSX/LRX, my group has no complaints.

Some people contend you need to shoot a lot of animals to determine if a bullet is reliable or not. I say nuts to that. When a handful of experiences result in a high failure rate (failure to perform as desired), that is enough for me to take a different route. I've had no issues with MRX/TTSX/LRX, AccuBond, North Fork SS/SS-HP, Grand Slam and only one with regular cup-and-core bullets.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Business 101.

I also used a lot of original X bullets, and never experienced anything like that, though I am aware that there are many people who did experience sub-par performance with that bullet. I did shoot a Pronghorn with a 160gr X from the 7RM, just as you did, on a hard-quartering shot. The bullet entered the onside shoulder/brisket intersection and exited the offside near the tail. The buck had the same reaction as yours did, dropping to the ground but keeping its head up. Another shot to the neck ended it. When I opened the pronghorn up, however, I found that the quartering bullet had expanded and done plenty of damage. The old buck was just a little tougher than most, I guess.

Again, it's totally normal for companies to make adjustments to existing designs and manufacturing processes to try to improve performance. The PT has undergone different methods of making the jackets, different longitudinal placement of the partition, different jacket thickness profiles, different lead alloys (IIRC), etc, to try to optimize performance. This is a good thing. The original X bullet, like the original PT, the original automobile, and even the original toothbrush, was a good albeit imperfect design. Subsequent modifications after inception have improved performance in all of these cases.

Jordan, that's disingenuous. The partition worked perfectly from day one. Subsequent changes were to facilitate manufacturing, improve ballistic performance, etc.
The original Barnes X bullets on the other hand had quality control issues with the copper wire used to make them, the also had a poor record of expanding, they fouled terrible in many guns, and they had accuracy issues. The XLC version alleviated the fouling, but the other issues remained. The TSX solved the fouling and accuracy issues completely, but the erratic expansion issues persisted. The MRX which came out next had accuracy issues in some guns and tended to rivet which lead to wound channels being less than straight. The TTSX solved that issue, but still occasionally failed to expand on occasion. The latest version, the LRX attempted too fix the poor BC issue that Barnes monos have had since they went to bands on the shank. They some what succeeded in this regard although the BC's still are not great. In short the development of the Barnes mono has been an engineering cluster phuq where each successive generation has attempted to bandaid the issues of the previous. That's how I see it.
I should note that I shot several deer with a 270 of my dads using the original X and they worked great. My dad then took the same gun and loads to Africa and had several problems with bullets not expanding. This was circa 1991 IIRC. My dad also could not get the original X to shoot in several of his guns with any sort of accuracy, but that old 270, a late seventies Model 700 with one of the first Brown stocks loved them.

Last edited by BWalker; 02/24/20.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
BWalker,

No, the Nosler Partition did not work "perfectly from day one." If you read the excellent biography of "Big" John Nosler (which he was called later in life, due to his grandson John), GOING BALLISTIC, the first Partitions grouped into about a foot at 100 yards. That was in 1946, but when the original lathe-turned version was introduced commercially in 1948 they were still not considered very accurate--though the first Partitions I bought and used in the mid-1970s shot into "around" an inch in both my Remington 700 .270 and sporterized 1903 Springfield .30-06.

The accuracy improved some when Nosler started making Partitions by impact-extrusion in the late 70s, but they still continued to tweak them in various ways to make them better. The techniques included core hardness and jacket "geometry," and are ongoing.

I knew Big John, but we never talked about bullet-making--except for his comments on the inaccuracy of the first, experimental Partitions! Have had a number of conversation about bullet-making with Bob and "young" John Nosler, as well as Randy Brooks. Have yet to hear about ANY bullet that was absolutely perfect right out of the gate, either from them or other bullet makers.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
BWalker,

No, the Nosler Partition did not work "perfectly from day one." If you read the excellent biography of "Big" John Nosler (which he was called later in life, due to his grandson John), GOING BALLISTIC, the first Partitions grouped into about a foot at 100 yards. That was in 1946, but when the original lathe-turned version was introduced commercially in 1948 they were still not considered very accurate--though the first Partitions I bought and used in the mid-1970s shot into "around" an inch in both my Remington 700 .270 and sporterized 1903 Springfield .30-06.

The accuracy improved some when Nosler started making Partitions by impact-extrusion in the late 70s, but they still continued to tweak them in various ways to make them better. The techniques included core hardness and jacket "geometry," and are ongoing.

I knew Big John, but we never talked about bullet-making--except for his comments on the inaccuracy of the first, experimental Partitions! Have had a number of conversation about bullet-making with Bob and "young" John Nosler, as well as Randy Brooks. Have yet to hear about ANY bullet that was absolutely perfect right out of the gate, either from them or other bullet makers.

John, thanks for the correction. However, many bullets didn't shoot that well in 1948 I would imagine? I think you get the just of what I posted as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Business 101.

Jordan, that's disingenuous. The partition worked perfectly from day one. Subsequent changes were to facilitate manufacturing, improve ballistic performance, etc.
The original Barnes X bullets on the other hand had quality control issues with the copper wire used to make them, the also had a poor record of expanding, they fouled terrible in many guns, and they had accuracy issues. The XLC version alleviated the fouling, but the other issues remained. The TSX solved the fouling and accuracy issues completely, but the erratic expansion issues persisted. The MRX which came out next had accuracy issues in some guns and tended to rivet which lead to wound channels being less than straight. The TTSX solved that issue, but still occasionally failed to expand on occasion. The latest version, the LRX attempted too fix the poor BC issue that Barnes monos have had since they went to bands on the shank. They some what succeeded in this regard although the BC's still are not great. In short the development of the Barnes mono has been an engineering cluster phuq where each successive generation has attempted to bandaid the issues of the previous. That's how I see it.
I should note that I shot several deer with a 270 of my dads using the original X and they worked great. My dad then took the same gun and loads to Africa and had several problems with bullets not expanding. This was circa 1991 IIRC. My dad also could not get the original X to shoot in several of his guns with any sort of accuracy, but that old 270, a late seventies Model 700 with one of the first Brown stocks loved them.

It's not disingenuous. You and I see things differently on this topic. I didn't use the MRX, and only used the XLC a little, but I have used and seen the X, TSX, TTSX, and LRX used quite a bit. This is mainly in .243", .257", .277", .284", .308", and .338". I haven't seen much from the list of issues you mentioned. Yes, I saw the odd rifle that took some work to get the X bullet to shoot decent groups (same with the PT!), but I never noticed the fouling to be terrible or the expansion to be a problem. Neither the X bullet nor the PT was perfect from inception. From my perspective, Barnes incrementally improved the X bullet just as Nosler incrementally improved the PT in order to, in your words, "improve ballistic performance, etc."

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
What is the concern with MRX, XLC, and original X bullets? None of those are offered currently, so other than for the sake of discussion, what does it matter? Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RMerta
I just don’t have enough kills with the Barnes to be completely sold as I am with Accubonds or Partitions.
Thanks

You never will.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Nosler Partitions have been the most troublesome bullets for me to shoot accurately. That said when they do, I use them. The TTSXs have been the most consitently accurate bullets for me across all calibers and I use them more than most others. I do believe (and have experienced) TTSXs thrive on velocity (as I suspect all other mono metals do) and I use them accordingly. I use whatever shoots the best in my rifles AND appropriate for the game at hand. Lastly, some very credible folks here indicated problems with the Barnes' and I of course believe them. Bottom line is if I had only one bullet to use, without question, it would be a TTSX.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (007FJ, 270winchester, 22250rem, 12344mag, 270wsmnutt, 3040Krag, 49 invisible), 2,213 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,239
Posts18,466,760
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.