Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
100grNP Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Tomorrow will be day five of agony. Went to the doc on Friday he gave me a steroid shot and colchicine. Nothing has fased it. If I go back to the doc tomorrow is there anything else that can be done or must I wait it out?

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Avoid red meat and alcohol.

Allopurinol.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I suggest that you drink a lot of water. That seemed to help me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 603Country
I suggest that you drink a lot of water. That seemed to help me.

Agreed.

And Ibuprofen if you dare. Meloxicam is better and safer if you can get a 'scrip. I don't know how they interact with what you've already taken, though.

Good luck.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

Allopurinol.

Not necessarily true. I have gout and spent a 30 day stretch this summer eating nothing but steak, pork chops, and enough celery to keep things moving. Add in copious amounts, and I mean a lot, of gin and had no attacks.

It's different for different folks, for some the triggers are meat, some it's high fructose corn syrup. No hard and fast rules or understanding of the ins and outs and whys and wherefores.

Luckily I can take allopurinol, but I've a good friend who is allergic to it and can't. Poor bastard has it bad and has had a rough go of it the last couple years.

To the OP, sorry but I don't know of any way to help other than steroids.

MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
See if a doc will give you some samples of Uloric, next gen uric acid med

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Colchicine until you’re squirting and Indocin. Those for right now during the attack.

The other option is to go to ER or urgent care and have them put a needle in your butt.

Then allupurinol or uloric daily.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M

Allopurinol.

Allopurinol ONLY AFTER the current attack has cleared up---NOT during!
I've been living with gout for far more years that I care to remember.
Allopurinol will lower your uric acid levels and is good for preventing the gout attack.
As long as I regularly take allopurinol I can eat all the red meat (or anything else) I desire.
It can be hard on your kidneys so your doctor will need to occasionally check your kidney function.

Last edited by MickeyD; 02/23/20.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MickeyD

Allopurinol.

Allopurinol ONLY AFTER the current attack has cleared up---NOT during!

Yep. Same thing with Uloric.

If I were you, and I followed the doc’s orders on colchicine and still was hurting after 5 days, I’d be signing up for a needle at the closest urgent care, and getting loud about Prednisone if I had to.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Prednisone does wonders for it. Highly recommend.

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I feel for you all that get that, thankful I don’t.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Allopurinol.

Not necessarily true. I have gout and spent a 30 day stretch this summer eating nothing but steak, pork chops, and enough celery to keep things moving. Add in copious amounts, and I mean a lot, of gin and had no attacks.

It's different for different folks, for some the triggers are meat, some it's high fructose corn syrup. No hard and fast rules or understanding of the ins and outs and whys and wherefores.

Luckily I can take allopurinol, but I've a good friend who is allergic to it and can't. Poor bastard has it bad and has had a rough go of it the last couple years.

To the OP, sorry but I don't know of any way to help other than steroids.

By golly , a fellow gin enthusiast smile
I’ve had a couple touches with gout but thankfully a long damn time ago . Probably in my early 40’s and I really don’t know what triggered it. Meat and alcohol intakes haven’t changed . It’s hard to believe how just a sock touching a big toe joint can be so excruciatingly painful.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
40mg of prednisone for 4 days, then 20mg for 4 days, 10mg for 4 days... then 5mg for 4 days.

It has been the only thing that has helped when an attack is full force. If I feel an attack coming on I start drinking an uncomfortable amount of water And take 800mg of ibuprofen 3x a day. That usually keeps the attack from going full force.

The first time I was given prednisone was eye opening. I couldn’t walk, let alone put a shoe on. My wife picked up an Rx for prednisone at 7pm. Took the first dose. Next morning I put my works boots on and went to work with a slight limp. After the second dose I was back %100. It’s been a game changer for me. Neither indomethacin or Colchicine has done anything for me once an attack is on.... other than give me stomach cramps and diarrhea.

If you’re not yet- get on a uric acid reduced and limit your sugar intake- especially high fructose corn syrup.

Good luck

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MickeyD

Allopurinol.

Allopurinol ONLY AFTER the current attack has cleared up---NOT during!.

I’ll repeat this as well. Doc warned me not to take it during an attack, that it can make it worse. Only use as a preventative.

Colchicine worked for me the one time I took it during a flare up. Good enough the last time I was in Mexico I bought two boxes of it ($5/box) and carry with me anywhere I go. Haven’t had to use it, but it has saved a couple friends that needed it.

I have no clue what triggers it in me. I don’t drink. Plenty of read meat though. Thought it was shrimp at one time, but they haven’t bothered me lately.

My eye doctor of all people gave me a list with like 100+ foods. He told anytime I had a flare up to mark everything I’d ate the last few days. Said that’s how he found out the MSG in Chinese food was causing his.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Go see the best rheumatologist in your area.
Worth the effort.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Start drinking tart cherry juice.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Braggs apple cider vinegar

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Indomethacin, and tart cherry juice.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Pickle juice

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Steroid shot in the can, followed up with the trailing dose of prednisone. Anytime I feel a spell coming on I guzzle as much water as I can handle.
I think my triggers were shrimp and salmon, since I've limited these I've been good to go.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, ATC, 12 invisible), 2,200 guests, and 722 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,668
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.