Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Prednisone for fast relief.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Prednisone and colchicine until the flareup is over and then start allopurinol or uloric and gradually work up the daily dose. Drink lots of water with a little fresh lemon in it. Allopurinol can trigger an attach at first or make one worse if taken during one.

I never could figure out my food triggers but most of what I thought was gout was an autoimmune disease so immunosuppressants have helped me the most.

I remember years ago having and ankle the size of a cantaloupe that I couldn't walk on for over 3 months and the local dr telling me it was gout. Gout doesn't usually last 3 months and believe it or not gout hurts less than my autoimmune stuff. I can pretty much tell which is which. Stress can trigger both. Drs spent years trying to figure out my gout until they realized most wasn't gout.

Bb

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Drink lots of water. Lay off the beer.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Avoid red meat and alcohol.

Allopurinol.

I take it every day and have for years. Gout is a four letter word I'd just as soon forget.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
What worked well for me when I had a flare-up was indomethacin, but my cardiologist won't let me take it anymore. None of the other NSAIDS like ibuprofen or naproxen did much good, and I'm not supposed to use those anymore either.

Tried colchicine, didn’t help me at all. Guess it works for some people.

Ended up with a prednisone prescription. It works, but not as fast as the indomethacin did, and b/c it's a corticosteroid have to go thru the whole regime of full dose then tapering off - while watching for side effects.

So I cheat a little, held onto some indomethacin. If I realize a flare-up is starting I'll take the indomethacin for a day or two. Most times that keeps it at bay. If I get a full blown attack have to use the prednisone. Soon or later will run out of indomethacin and have to just use the prednisone. Good news is my gout doesn't attack very often.

IC B2

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Are you taking any type of Statin drug for cholesterol? In a small percentage of people (like me) statins can lead to Rhabdo or general joint and muscle problems. I've noticed people I know who had gout were also taking statins. When I came off of them my uric acid levels dropped to dead normal and I haven't had a gout attack in years. I no longer take Uloric and my uric acid levels have stayed normal. People with celtic background have more of a tendency towards gout. I can't site any studies this is just empirical.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O

Take the meds prescribed by the Dr - It will get you thru it.. Then:

1. Eliminate all sugar from your diet
2. Get your carbs to less than 50 per day
3. Lay off the booze - see number one

Will make a huge difference going forward, at least it did for me.. Been a couple years and now I drink red wine and whiskey few times a week and still no issues. Dropped 65 pounds while doing it as well.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Think purines (where the name allopurinol comes from). Any food source having high content should be avoided. Highest on the list are mushrooms and yeasts, then beans, red meat is quite a bit lower than these.

As mentioned fructose is at the top of the list although it doesn't have any purines. Large amt. of ATP adenosine tri phosphate are used to metabolize it and thats were the purine comes from.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Drinking a lot of water is helpful for several reasons. (the lemon juice or vinegar acidifies the urine.)

but mainly during the episode the ph of urine changes, which affects not only the purines but oxalic acid, causing precipitation of the salts in the kidneys, causing kidney stones.

urate crystals then precipitate in the largest joint spaces and poorest circulation areas result, the big toe, then the autoimmune system destroys the bone causing a characteristic "rats bite" on x-ray

jet water or foot vibrators help increase the circulation in the foot.

Last edited by Etoh; 02/24/20.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Supplements should include supports for the bodies, Kreb cycle ,, polyphenols, (elderberry,cherry,pomegranate,reservatrol), any bioflavonoids, (Rose hips)

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I second the tart cherry juice recommendation. It works for me.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Allopurinol should be titrated up and down if you start to use it.

Start with 100 mg, for a week then 200 week, then 300, if needed. Immediate 300 mg will precipitate gout "attack"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My grandmother was old BSN, she went “operate” on my great aunt’s gout once.

Me and my great uncle stayed out in the backyard and pitched about 97 games horse shoes.

Sounded like an exorcism was being performed in that bedroom.

I remember a steak knife, wash pan and a bunch of bloody wash rags sitting out in the hallway.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
All prostaglandin inhibitors and COX inhibitors can cause heart problems.

the link between sugar, cholesterol and gout and heart --- prostaglandins are derived through the arachidonic pathway, same one as cholesterol.

the "strongest" one is ketorolac, but it is short acting and not recommended for long time use.

If you get better results from steroids, you probably are all ready in "renal stress". and the steroids are supplementing the already low hydrocortisone (cortisol) your body makes during the Circadian rhythm

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by RickBin
Colchicine until you’re squirting and Indocin. Those for right now during the attack.

The other option is to go to ER or urgent care and have them put a needle in your butt.

Then allupurinol or uloric daily.

This^^^

Don’t go on allopurinol until the attack is done, it’ll just make it much worse in the short term.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Tart cherry juice.

You can lead a horse...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Indomethacin, and tart cherry juice.

This

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My U/A used to run in the 9,10s.

Never ever had a gout episode.

My nephs wouldnt ever prescribe allopurinol for U/A. Two different ones claimed potential nephrotoxicity.

Was always given uloric.

Seems strange all the allo drum beating. To me it does.

My docs gave me the sense that allopurinol was outdated medical tech.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
crystallization is also ph dependent

Both are xanthine inhibitors, allopurinol suppresses purines uloric doesn't. Uloric high cost, pat. compliance better on allopurinol

track record for allopurinol is incredible. (survival rates, stats, units of doses taken on world wide basis] urloric not so much.

pick your poison, nephrotoxicity from drinking alcohol or allopurinol. thought to be due to increase of free radical formation, the strongest free radical scavenger in the body is oxalic acid, which is compromised when
the process of gout starts, along with kidney stones (ph changes, which is why Cherry Juice etc. work so well.)

Vioxx was going to put ibuprofen on the outdate list also, until it started killing people

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Uh oh....my big toe is starting to tingle

Uloric and country ham, breakfast of champions grin

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

129 members (280shooter, 257robertsimp, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 21 invisible), 1,516 guests, and 917 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,216
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.