Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Bought a cheap foam in a box from Menards a few years back on sale. Great product and no problems yet.

The best thing you can do for any mattress is to lose some weight.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
We have 10 years on our sleep number so far. We got one without the built in topper. It was FAR cheaper to just buy a topper from Costco. That way you can get the thickness you like and replace it as needed.

This is great advice. We bought a mid-line sleep number, and it is a great bed, but we could have had the same benefits bby doing just what RC said. Get one of their lower priced models, and get a good quality topper. I'd also just recommend having the installers just put it on top of your existing box spring if you have one.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Ill never do memory foam again that's for sure. I love the Holiday Inn beds but I read they're [bleep] for longevity too.

Probably screwed regardless I don't want to spend more than $1500 on a mattress. It might be smarter to buy the cheapest [bleep] I can find and replace as needed.

You can lead a horse...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My daughter got a Purple Mattress. She loves it. Only had it 2-years so I don't know how they hold up.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I keep hearing stuff on the radio, “any mattress over 5 yrs old is 30% dust mite exoskeletons” or some crap lol

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Do some research on Latex mattresses. I mean a mattress made mostly of latex, not a thin layer on top. It’s kind of the best of both worlds between memory foam and innerspring. We went through this probably 8 years ago and no issues yet. Mine came with a 20 year warranty. They aren’t cheap but shouldn’t be anymore than a Tempurpedic. From my understanding, mattresses have become almost disposable now. Allot of people are just buying the mattresses in a box every few years instead of spending $3k on one that may not last

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Just finally got rid of our Tempurpedic. Hated it from day one 9 years ago. And sex on a memory foam is liking doing it on the floor. Bought a purple. Jury is still out but the return bounce is sure better.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just bought a Simmons beauty rest black with the fancy electric bed frame. I have to say it’s way better than the Trump series Serta we had. That being said go lay in 50 of them because everyone is different. I have a sleep number in my motor home and I hate it.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Our bed has been a work in progress for years. It started out as a decent quality king size issue,.....then it started getting kind of sunk in here and there,...so my wife bought a eggshell foam cover for it,....then a 4" foam pad to go under the eggshell pad.

It has a hodgepodge of various comforters and blankets that get added and removed dependent on the temperature.

We have about 8 pillows in various states of puffiness that get arranged one way or another to provide optimum comfort.

It's one of my prize household items.

Occasionally we sleep in motel rooms which have state of the art, quality mattresses,....and they don't sleep worth a damn.

At this point in my life, I need a bed that has been configured for *me* over a long period of time. I've got one now. I'd hate to lose it.

It's been broken in over a long period of time. It's finally right.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
I keep hearing stuff on the radio, “any mattress over 5 yrs old is 30% dust mite exoskeletons” or some crap lol

Dead skin cells,

and dog dander in our case too.

Fuggin whippets are bed hogs.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Memory foam is rubbish. Yet some seem to love it, go figure.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
We have 10 years on our sleep number so far. We got one without the built in topper. It was FAR cheaper to just buy a topper from Costco. That way you can get the thickness you like and replace it as needed.
Ditto here - about 8+ years on ours, and it's very, very comfy to date..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DBT
Memory foam is rubbish. Yet some seem to love it, go figure.

You're right. People buy it because it's cheap. If you buy memory foam you'll be lucky to get more than 3 good years out of it.

I have a latex layered bed, at year 3 still great! All top layers break down in short order so I built the bottom layers firm and will trade out the top one when it hollows out. Much cheaper over the long run.

Mattress shopping sucks.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
On our second Sleep Number queen-size. Bought the "Monthly Special" some 12 years or so ago. Liked it so much we upgraded and put the first one in the guest room. (And now can't get rid of guests who sleep there!) Then upgraded the second one with an adjustable frame two years ago. Fabulous. Not the split adjustable they show in the ads, which requires a special split bottom sheet. We prefer bamboo sheets, so we stuck with the one-piece adjustable frame.

We follow the instructions that say to inflate the mattresses to 100% once a month, to keep the topper from bunching up. It does seem to help. We both have the same ideal number, coincidentally, but when we aren't sleeping well, it's such a big help to be able to bump up or drop down the firmness a wee bit - makes it like a whole different bed. And the "ZeroG" setting on the adjustable frame is like magic. Set it that way for a few minutes before turning out the lights is like a sleeping pill. Go back to our Favorites position (head up two inches) and it's zonk time.

The VRBO we use when we visit daughter #2 has a memory foam mattress. It's pretty nice, but we always look forward to getting home to our Sleep Number.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I guess I never realized how lucky we were to have such a guiding light in this arena up here in Alaska...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ICppcKiwrPw

Last edited by Ducksanddogs; 02/24/20.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I inherited a sleep number twin size. I really like it. Has help me considerably. Unfortunately, I will always have issues sleeping. But the new bed does help.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Musicianized
Tossi g the $1300 memory foam we have thats only 3yrs old. Need something comfortable that will last don't trust any brand.

Sleep Number.

Go check them out.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Sleep Number. Wouldn't own anything else.

Don't forget the My Pillow. It's the best pillow I've ever owned.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

grin

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My wife and I have had a sleep number for a year. I like it. Has a 25 year warranty. They can swap any and all parts of it if something wears out

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,908 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,359
Posts18,468,939
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.