Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Pre hunt back exercises.....(for carrying 100lb loads of meat tied to a pack frame...;)

Me and my new titanium knees need to be ready for this too.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
BP-B2

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks for the particulars guys. Much appreciated.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I haven't asked him yet. I want the opinions of experienced hunters with specifics. I think that's much better than a generic list like "rain gear, rubber boots, socks, etc......."

John,
I bought these boots specifically for elk hunting in wet marshy fields where walking into mud, high grass land was required. I didn’t want rubber boots that had slippage on the heel with every step. These fit the order, but are a bitch to get on and off. Aside from that, wearing them has been perfect.

Lacrosse 4xAlpha hunting boots. 😎

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have been hunting Alaska and moose and caribou, bears, etc. for about 55 years. Some times it seems like no matter what you do or wear you end up wet, cold tired and miserable. My wife and me no longer hunt and live out of a back pack as hitting 70 takes the fun out of some of that.

Long ago I settled on Helley Hansen Impertech rain Parka and Bibs. They are a bit stretchy, quiet and can be rolled up smaller then most quality rain gear and with the bibs one does not have to fight pulling pants up. I also do not like tight rain gear, as I want to vent moisture if possible. Depending on what I attach to my belt I often wear suspenders when hunting. So for me about the only thing I want on my belt is my favorite knife and a 5 round ammo slide.

I like Gortex, but I don't trust it or any other super fabric to keep me dry in a day after day down pour. I have a set of Cabelas MT50 Gortex Parka and Bibs, but generally if it is a serious rain I put the Impertech on. A down vest is nice as I usually use the layer system and don't pack a real heavy insulated coat on fall moose hunts. Hoods are nice on coats and synthetic hoodies. I like wool shirts and Smart Wool is about my favorite for all garments and socks. Bring a good itch free neck gator, what a difference they make for retaining heat as does a good fitting wool or synthetic stocking hat.

All though I have a favorite knife, a Bushfinger by Fiddleback Forge made with premium CPMS 35 V steel I bring a Havalon knife and several of the disposable blades. They are super good little blades and I used them on last years moose.

I used to always store a spare neck gator, watch cap and socks in my sleeping bag and they really add to warmth when sleeping in a tent. A good Gortex or ball cap is nice. Make sure you have a good bug net head cover and bug dope. Start thinking about a personal first aid kit. I carry a tourniquet and the blood clotting stuff in what ever pack I have on, as well as mole skin. A lot of this depends on where one is staying each night and mode of transportation. Argo, canoe, ATV, hind legs, etc.

Boots are a crap shoot and what works for one person is hated by another. For sure high water proof boots are in order and I have logged many a mile in hip boots, don't like them but I stayed dry. If you can get by with knee high Bogs or similar styles that should work. Just put some miles on them before the hunt. Bring some rubber bottomed camp slippers. CHAP STICK, FLUSHABLE WIPES, nuff said.

Moose don't usually fall over unless structure is hit. I have never had one go far with a good lung shot from my 30-06 or .338 Winny. Most of my moose have been taken under 100 yards. I am a Barnes TTSX fan since the 80's, before that it was Nosler Partitions. Now days there is no end to good bullets. We went from a sat phone to a Garmin In Reach as it runs off of satellites. We still have cell problems where we hunt and the older we get the more important quick communication becomes.

Have fun and kill a big one! Please let us know how it goes. Big black bear in Newfoundland !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hunted moose in Newfoundland last year. I think it rained every day, with 3.5" falling one day. The issue was more of keeping dry than keeping warm.

Those Lacrosse boots pictured above look good. I wore Muck boots. I took one of my homemade wood boot jacks to make getting the boots off easier. We walked 1-4 miles every day out in the bogs. Its a lot like walking in the tundra in Alaska.

Rain gear should be "waterproof", not just "water resistant." A wide brim waterproof hat would be beneficial. I also took a collapsible camo umbrella that was nice when we were sitting and glassing bogs.

The rifle that I took was my stainless steel, plastic stocked Rem 7 mm Rem mag. I taped the muzzle every day, and dried and oiled the rifle and bore every night. One of the other hunters in camp shot a cow moose one day, and while I was talking to him the next day I could see rust in the bore of the muzzle of his rifle.

I don't think Newfies know what sun screen is.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Pre hunt back exercises.....(for carrying 100lb loads of meat tied to a pack frame...;)

Me and my new titanium knees need to be ready for this too.

Strong back is only half the battle. Your abs actually are doing more than your back is. Strong ab's usually go hand in hand with a strong lower back. Muscle imbalance leads to fatigue and injury. Train your whole body for optimal performance.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JG,

Some of the gear that worked for me on a Newfoundland moose hunt.

Cabela's MT050 Quiet Pack Rain Jacket and pants.

Cabela's Passage Primaloft jacket with Windshear

LaCrosse Alpha Burly Pro 18" rubber boots

LaCrosse Big Chief hip boot

Cabela's Rimrock hikers (Gore-Tex) Did not think I would use them much because of the boggy terrain, but surprisingly we did a lot of walking on higher rocky ground. I carried them in pack until I needed them.

Mid weight Merino wool crew midweight hiking socks from REI

Smartwool medium crew socks purchased at Duluth Trading Co.

Polypropylene light weight base layer (whatever was on sale) I took three sets.

Wrangler camo double knee five pocket jeans. (whatever was on sale @ Farm and Fleet or Fleet Farm)

Guide Gear button down hunting shirts 60/40 blend purchased at Sportsman Guide.

Gates Gore-Tex hunting non-insulated gloves purchased at Sportsman Guide (two pair, one regular fit, one larger for colder weather to insert Fox River wool fingerless gloves (REI) or Hunter's Select 100% polyester fleece gloves (Walmart).

My lucky L.L. Bean buffalo plaid wool shirt.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Go get'em JG.

Last edited by roundoak; 02/23/20.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All good advise. What my son and I didn't plan on needing was sunscreen and tee-shirts. The week before we arrived was cold and snowing. Everyone in camp got a moose. Our week was in the '70's and sunny with a "super moon" at night and not a single moose sighting for anyone all week.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Teeder
All good advise. What my son and I didn't plan on needing was sunscreen and tee-shirts. The week before we arrived was cold and snowing. Everyone in camp got a moose. Our week was in the '70's and sunny with a "super moon" at night and not a single moose sighting for anyone all week.

That sounds just like things that happen to me...…."you should have been here yesterday" lol

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Is 65* and overcast with no rain too much to ask for.....?????

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

YES! smile

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Bring two pairs of boots in case you tear a pair.

Not likely but no Cabela's in NF!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Bring two pairs of boots in case you tear one, no Cabela’s in NF.

I’m going back this year and I’m adding a few items.
1. Down underwear top that you can pack and wear if it’s windy and damp.
2. Wool shirt..

I always packed my rain gear, extra socks and lightweight pants and top in my pack. Several times I face planted in the bog and was wet from elbows to wrist and knees.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
In Alaska the ankle fit hip boots, usually LaCrosse, and the long HH Impertech coat were almost a uniform. Now I would go with Gore Tex Hip boots and a more conventional hiking/hunting boot that could take being wet.

Go with mostly wool and synthetics. If you get down items get the Hydro Tech treated ones that repel moisture. A vest and/or a light down sweater are nice if you stop to glass. Treat yourself to some Alpaca socks, I just get crew socks and use them for liners, Dahlgren has a good hiking model. These are 2-3 times warmer than wool and wick and dry faster. You can put a fresh pair over wet feet and they are warm again in minutes. I would double up on rain gear with a light two layer gore tex jacket and then the HH Impertech for heavy rain. The gore tex for wet brush, or if you take a spill, or are in a boat.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sorry Johnny..I haven't hunted moose either, nor have I hunted NF. Hunted in Alaska though....used some of the same stuff. GOOD raingear is your friend and yeah, knee high waterproof boots....

Anxious to hear about it when you get back...

Last edited by ingwe; 02/24/20.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Hey there Tom, good to hear from you. Will do on the report for sure.

O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Order a pair of insulated non steeltoe xtratuf boots. They will become your new favorite boot anytime its wet. Very comfortable. A good shell like sitka and a fleece base layer. A small pack that stays tight to your back. Rope and game bags. A small sharp knife and a couple razor blades. A small bone saw or hatchet. I sometime bring a cheap wire and loop saw because the come in really handy seperating joints and weigh about 10 grams. Use the rope to rig up the quarters to carry them. I would even consider ditching the optics. The guide will have them and know what a legal bull is. I always carry cotton balls with some Vaseline rolled up tight in a ziplock for fire starter. An extra pair of socks. A really small tarp like 5x6'. I like neoprene gloves. I know it sounds like alot but its really not. Pack as LIGHT as possible. Ive carried countless quarters and cursed myself for being 10 pounds overweight. I never carry a pack frame because they are so bulky. I'm always jumping across creeks and weaving through alders. Light and tight.
Good luck

https://www.xtratuf.com/collections/men/products/mens-15-in-legacy-boot-copper-tan

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Subtract 20-30 degrees from that to get them on their feet to feed. Warm weather is your mortal enemy. You can always put on more/different clothing to stay warm, but, warm weather will have Moose lazing the day away somewhere you can't see/find them. 65 degrees humping bogs in knee-boots/hippers and rain gear will make you miserably sweaty and hot. 35-45 degrees and you'll be able to pace yourself for warmth and not get soaked from the inside-out by your own sweat.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I moose hunt up in the NW corner of Saskatchewan, very different terrain than Newfoundland. Sounds like really good advice being given here. But unless your guide is going to skin out, and cut up, your moose, you'll need a lot of knife! Lots of moose hair, and thick skin, dull a blade really fast. I've started using the Outdoor Edge 3.5" Razorlite EDC. I like the size and I like that a new sharp edge is only a quick swap away. No more carrying a stone and taking the time to hone. I do have a small plastic container to take my old blades out with me and am going to try to sharpen them at home, just to see.. So far, one moose with this and it's growing on me, I like always having a good edge fast. And when I get back home, a trip through the dishwasher and it's nice and clean. And it works great for deer too!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
I moose hunt up in the NW corner of Saskatchewan, very different terrain than Newfoundland. Sounds like really good advice being given here. But unless your guide is going to skin out, and cut up, your moose, you'll need a lot of knife! Lots of moose hair, and thick skin, dull a blade really fast. I've started using the Outdoor Edge 3.5" Razorlite EDC. I like the size and I like that a new sharp edge is only a quick swap away. No more carrying a stone and taking the time to hone. I do have a small plastic container to take my old blades out with me and am going to try to sharpen them at home, just to see.. So far, one moose with this and it's growing on me, I like always having a good edge fast. And when I get back home, a trip through the dishwasher and it's nice and clean. And it works great for deer too!

In my vast experience of 2 moose (grin). An Ingram Lite Hunter set in S30V will get a moose skinned and quartered without the need for any sharpening. We did have a small Gerber folding saw to get the bottom of the legs off. Everything else we did with the 2 knives taking care not to get to hard into any of the bones.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
705 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 3,069 guests, and 1,416 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,604
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.