Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Originally Posted by smokepole

I will turn this around to its natural position. By not supporting meateater, you are not supporting the largest push for gun rights in this day and age.

I would not agree with that at all. I think he puts hunting in a positive light for many people who are on the fence and willing to listen to his message, but that doesn't equate to a large push for gun rights. Many in his audience would happily support an "assault weapons" ban and other "common sense gun laws."

I'll disagree 100% with this. I am in an industry with a lot of non hunters who have no interest in gun rights. These people universally are very interested in meateater though and through this conduit, see a reason for gun rights.

You and I understand that the 2A isn't about hunting, but they don't and never will. And meateater is a HUGE avenue to move these individuals to our side. Maybe most don't want to hold hands with those groups. I think that's a mistake, because they will overwhelm the rest of us, and are damn close to doing it already. We are a dying breed. We are going to need some who don't look like us or act like us to come to our side.

If y'all keep on driving stakes between those of us who agree on 98%, we will definitely be out voted.

This 100%.
Hunting is dying. Look at the statistics. We need advocates and we can't be so picky as to chose the ones that line completely up with our personal "code". I'm afraid my son will have a hard time finding hunting partners and making the memories and learning the life experiences that only nature can give whenever's I'm not around.
Hunting needs to remain a part of America's DNA. It's more important than most realize. Younger people aren't going to be inspired by Jack O'Conner or Aldo Leupold. Those guys don't have podcasts.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RUM7
[

This 100%.
Hunting is dying. Look at the statistics. ..

Complete horsesh!t. Maybe hunting is 'dying' in NoCal, but it ain't here.
I hear this more and more and see more and more hunters afield every year.

Find another talking point.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by smokepole

I will turn this around to its natural position. By not supporting meateater, you are not supporting the largest push for gun rights in this day and age.

I would not agree with that at all. I think he puts hunting in a positive light for many people who are on the fence and willing to listen to his message, but that doesn't equate to a large push for gun rights. Many in his audience would happily support an "assault weapons" ban and other "common sense gun laws."

I'll disagree 100% with this. I am in an industry with a lot of non hunters who have no interest in gun rights. These people universally are very interested in meateater though and through this conduit, see a reason for gun rights.

Right. Gun rights as in "you can have a shotgun." Just like Joe Biden.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by broomd
[

This 100%.

Ok, just ignore the data. Go with what your own eyes tell you. I'm sure thats a more accurate approach. Throw in a little ad hominem for good measure. Well done.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
[

This 100%.

Ok, just ignore the data. Go with what your own eyes tell you. I'm sure thats a more accurate approach. Throw in a little ad hominem for good measure. Well done.

Numbers do seem to reflect a decline since the late 80’s and early 90’s with peak lows around 2008-2015. However, it does appear that there has been a rebound in the last few years, if these numbers are accurate.

https://wsfrprograms.fws.gov/Subpages/LicenseInfo/Hunting.htm

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Hunting is dying? Ya....maybe along the east coast.

Call Colorado Parks and Wildlife or Wyoming Game and Fish and ask if their application number or license sold numbers are down.

Keep buying the schiit the fear mongers are shoveling.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 02/24/20.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Hunting is dying? Ya....maybe along the east coast.

Call Colorado Parks and Wildlife or Wyoming Game and Fish and ask if their application number or license sold numbers are down.

Keep buying the schiit the fear mongers are shoveling.

No need. FWS does us the solid of making this information public every year. Both states have downward trends since 2000. This list reflects total hunting licenses sold in the state in that year.

From the link:

———— Colorado — Wyoming

2000 — 337,475 — 147,416
2005 — 309,801 — 137,677
2010 — 294,186 — 149,581
2015 — 281,201 — 133,568
2019 — 298,901 — 132,075

In 2019, Colorado sold 88.5% of what they sold in 2000 and Wyoming sold 89.5% of what they sold in 2000.

Last edited by Ducksanddogs; 02/24/20.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Are the quotas the same? Or have they been reduced in the same time period? And are they selling out?

Hunting is dying so I'm sure they've got piles of good tags lying around.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 02/24/20.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
They're not the same where I hunt. I used to be able to draw my preferred tag with zero PPs, now I can't draw with 1 .PP.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
There ya go ducksanddogs. Smearing back yard opinions with actual facts.

Colorado — Wyoming

2000 — 337,475 — 147,416
2005 — 309,801 — 137,677
2010 — 294,186 — 149,581
2015 — 281,201 — 133,568
2019 — 298,901 — 132,075

Pretty obvious to me.
Same story in much of midwest.

Last edited by michiganroadkill; 02/24/20.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pa., licenses are down.
They bragged some, that sales were up with a Saturday opening of deer season.
I like meateater.
He pulls some great tags, or has someone (?), pay big bucks, but his hunts are honest, and out to fill the tag with whatever presents the shot.
I'm not seeing many product plugs on his shows either.
I would like to know more about his rifle and scope choice tho.
I googled, but it didnt come up with a specific cartridge or scope.
I'm not up on Vortex optics, so I dont know what he's using.
He's a decent shot tho.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by splattermatic
Pa., licenses are down.
They bragged some, that sales were up with a Saturday opening of deer season.
I like meateater.
He pulls some great tags, or has someone (?), pay big bucks, but his hunts are honest, and out to fill the tag with whatever presents the shot.
I'm not seeing many product plugs on his shows either.
I would like to know more about his rifle and scope choice tho.
I googled, but it didnt come up with a specific cartridge or scope.
I'm not up on Vortex optics, so I dont know what he's using.
He's a decent shot tho.

He used a custom (LH) early on. They were sponsored by Savage for some time but are now a Weatherby representative. They're tight now with Adam Weatherby and have made a few trips together. I think they still do Vortex and First Lite. Some of the podcasts have been very interesting.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
As previously mentioned, sportsman often don’t tract the binary republican/democrat political system. Conservation and public access is often at odds with conservative idealism. But firearms, hunting and even fishing can be contrary to democratic ideals.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just a note on hunter numbers. I believe there are more people are applying for multiple species and multiple states than ever before. I am exhibit No. 1. I used to do 1 trip per 3 years. Now it is 2 per year. Still one hunter, but now I have 6 applications over a 3 year period instead of 1.

The population of the US is climbing. As has been shown, hunter numbers are declining. So when you talk about percentage of the US population that hunts, the decline is magnified.

Another consideration is that the baby boomers will soon be leaving hunting en masse. Take a look at the numbers and you will see is that we do not have a generation that will replace those numbers any where near that level of participation. We are running towards the cliff. Judging hunter numbers by point creep or the number of orange vests you see on opening day is not an accurate representation of what is happening.

For the record, I enjoy Meateater and I really enjoy Fresh Tracks with Randy Newberg. The two best hunting shows out there in my opinion. I can certainly think of worse ambassadors for our hobby.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Berettaman

For the record, I enjoy Meateater and I really enjoy Fresh Tracks with Randy Newberg. The two best hunting shows out there in my opinion.

That's like choosing which STD is better.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That's exactly what I'll do.
One can't travel 50 yards in this state without rubbing elbows with someone else, particularly non-residents.
The statistics shown by others here are RELATIVE.
After you find a new talking point, grow a pair. This stuff ain't personal, it's simple banter.

Re. the horsesh!t ....er 'data' ....part of your posting:
"According to data from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Idaho hit a record-high number of paid hunting license holders in 2019: 295,281."
Read more here: https://www.idahostatesman.com/outdoors/hunting/article240430411.html#storylink=cpy

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
More people being pushed onto less land does not equal more hunters overall. It might mean more hunters including non-residents are hunting “your” areas but that doesn’t mean there’s an increase in hunters it merely hunters that once hunted elsewhere are hunting where you are.

I know that in Washington the saltwater fishing has taken a dump, steelhead fishing is a shadow of its former glory and our hunting areas are converted to parks and trails for “non-consumptive users”. It’s fun trying to get a flock of pintails to commit to your spread with Mr and Mrs Purple and Pink Northface having a birdwatching conversation 15 yards behind your blind. I’ve grown tired of wasting my time down here on many things so if the state wants to cater to those that don’t foot the bill then they won’t get my annual donation. I’ll get my shellfish license because it pays for itself in crab and razor clams but unless I have a specific trip planned I don’t buy my license. I’ll hunt elsewhere rather than with a bunch of people crammed into smaller and smaller spots

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
More people being pushed onto less land does not equal more hunters overall. It might mean more hunters including non-residents are hunting “your” areas but that doesn’t mean there’s an increase in hunters it merely hunters that once hunted elsewhere are hunting where you are.

I get that.

Reread my original answer, my response was in relation to where I live.
"Hunting may be dying' in some places, but not here.

Idaho is being overrun with record numbers of hunters and right now we're legislatively trying to resolve it. Its a mess.
Some of us can't wait either. I literally have a bullet hole through the wall of my shop from some idiot this Fall.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by splattermatic

I like meateater.
He pulls some great tags, or has someone (?), pay big bucks, but his hunts are honest,

How do you know?

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ok.
Let me refrase that.
His hunts "appear" hi honest.
Happy ??

Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 46 invisible), 2,628 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,505
Posts18,452,557
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.