Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Pappy348
There's a similar Elmer story about him wearing down a coyote at long range with a .25/35.

This is where Elmer shot the coyote as a young teen. He was standing near the Capitol and the coyote was up the hill behind it.

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/g...qOXLVEG4_BdcO-HoaARmXJdSV0M=w664-h533-no[/img]

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
One thing to add, the buck in question was shot with a .300 H & H and 180 Rem. Core loke... The bullet did NOT bounce off, nor did it blow up.. It hit but did not open up.. Just a pencil hole though the animal.. As I remember the incident, Keith did not realize his shot killed the buck, until his son cut some chops from it a month after killing and brought the base cap from the Remington factory load and told Elmer where he found it.. Then he realize he had made the shot at this very long range..

Well maybe you have a source that says it was a Corelokt but in Hell,I was there on page 201 EK said it was a 180 gr needle-pointed Remington Spitzer and " Finally we parted the hair in the right flank and found where it had gone in" " Later I determined it blew up and lodged in the left shoulder". Page 201. MAYBE ek regarded the corelokt as a needle pointed Spitzer but I think that is how he referred to the Remington Bronze Point and he sure didn't have much use for them. One of the things I've all ways appreciated about EK was his ability to recall the details. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by KingCobb
I have always been more struck by the fact that they set there and peppered the dang mule deer from 600 yards away and made the thing suffer when they weren't up to the shot. I'm certain Elmer could have made the shot with the rifle but Paul emptied the gun at the thing without putting it out of it's misery and even if Elmer got the "killing" shot at that range it didn't have the power to get it over with very quickly. The humane thing wasn't to sit there and take pot shots at it with his revolver. The humane thing would have been to do what my grandfather did when I lamed a white tail when I was 10 years old and it was streaking for the brush, he grabbed the rifle from me and finished it before it got away. People wonder why some are so opposed to hunting---this story right here is exhibit A. While I typically enjoy Elmer's writing, I have never enjoyed this particular story. Of course I typically have not been a fan of Elmer's fondness for raking shots either, but he did grow up with a completely different reason for hunting.

Elmer was the guide if I remember correctly. His client was still shooting. It wasn't the guide's place to take his client's rifle and shoot the deer. You're way off base on this. Elmer was an outstanding shot with a handgun.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Both brown elk and king Cobb need to reread the story because you both have it wrong.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, read the first post of this thread--which is Keith's own written story of the incident.

Reading threads (including the original post) before posting an opinion is apparently against the principles of many Campfire members.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yep, read the first post of this thread--which is Keith's own written story of the incident.

Reading threads (including the original post) before posting an opinion is apparently against the principles of many Campfire members.

I agree with you, I always read the entire thread, on the other hand I can see where one might tire of the drivel. Many on here take the stance of, if you don't agree with me, or blindly follow my guy, then you're a dumbass.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Just reread Elmer's account of this shooting. It still seems irresponsible, When you work as a guide you don't allow the hunter many decisions on his own.
Hunting in our mountains, propelled by your shank's pony you are tired and winded and really have to settle in for a killing shot, putting the .300 shooter prone over your daypack would of been prudent.
If you are not guiding you carry your own long rifle and a tag. We have all done things that went poorly but to put this in a publication , sounds amateurish to me...unless you need to underscore your greatness with a revolver. Puffy, imo
Muledeer- just had to vote- again

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
comerade,

Keith was NOT guiding a client. He was hunting with a local friend, primarily for meat on the last day of the season.

Somebody else mentioned this being a guided hunt as well. Must admit I am little baffled about how that can be inferred from the story.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well JB, maybe that is the whole total and sum of it. Blow off reading it and go pass go and form opinions regardless of the facts.? MB

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Apparently.

I just Googled Paul Kriley's obituary. He was a VERY local guy, having been born in 1925 about 15 miles north of Salmon in Kriley Gulch--apparently named after his family. "The great outdoors was always his favorite place, his family noted." He passed away in 2004, in Grand View, Idaho, a very small place southwest of Mountain Home.

He was 26 years younger than Elmer Keith. Have read enough other Keith writing to know that he often preferred to go hunting with younger guys as he grew older--which over the past decade or so have also decided was a good idea.

John Steinbeck
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The human encyclopedia of all gun knowledge, Dick Metcalf, wrote this up in a Shooting Times article and changed the mule deer into a cow elk and shortened the 44's barrel to 4". I called him out on it but, as always, was ignored.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Never let facts stand in the way of a good story. Hell, the older I get, the better I was too! Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Haha! Hunting and fishing stories are very dynamic and fluid, and subject to frequent change.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well, I've never been a big fan of gun control advocate Dick Metcalf but EK had SW 29's of all barrel lengths and my guess because it doesn't say, that he was carrying a 4" which he favored or maybe a 6.5". I too have read enough of Keith to know a few things but don't think I could ever get tired of reading Keith. I all ways thought it was many points in his favor that he mentored many younger men on hunting ,shooting and the sporting life. for instance Bob Hagel is an example of that. MB

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
6" as Keith wrote in Hell, I Was There.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Bob. You are quite right about that Remington bullet..In all probability it was a Bronze Point..

MD, I made my comment based on several posts by other readers.. I did not read all of your quote as I have probably read it 25 times.. I didn't know there was going to be a vote..

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Some guy at work today claimed EK killed a crow at 600 yards with a 22 Hornet, I told him I didn't know he was on 24HCF 😁😁

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
!!!

Thanks much for that VERY informative info....

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
On January 27 1956 SW 44 Magnum # S147220 was shipped to Elmer Keith in Idaho ,he received it in Feb. It was the 4th 44 Magnum ever made the first SW kept, the 2nd went RHColeman of Remington and the 3 rd to Julian Hatcher of the NRA. Elmer's was a blued 6.5" model. REMINGTON sent him the ammo a couple of weeks later. Same ammo he used to hit the buck with at 600 yds. The ammo was a partially jacketed 240 grain bullet at 1400 fps that Elmer said shot good. Subsequent work with the 429421 swc mold he designed cut by Lyman and others with Hercules 2400 powder gave the shooting and reloding public a "gold std" recipe that is still used today. MB

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
comerade,

Keith was NOT guiding a client. He was hunting with a local friend, primarily for meat on the last day of the season.

Somebody else mentioned this being a guided hunt as well. Must admit I am little baffled about how that can be inferred from the story.

JB- I was using my personal point of view.
In my 20's & 30's ( still will on occassion)I worked as an Guide for various outfitters and this instinct does not leave me.
It has been imprinted and if I go with others, I always default into this mindset. I want to help them .
I often annoy even myself so I hunt alone.
I have no clue what Elmer was like, and long shooting we know is a developed skill, I have just seen too many Elk missed at close range to believe a 600 yard shot is plausible. Many hunters could not hit a soccer ball at 200 yards without a sandbag. Most rifle's back then were 2" moa shooters( and many not )
My little old opinionated opinion.Cheers

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

419 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 45 invisible), 2,942 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,569
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.