Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Papag
6" as Keith wrote in Hell, I Was There.

Well further study of page 201 in " Hell, I was There" has a picture of the second mule buck EK took with the 44 Magnum and the caption calls it 6" but if you move to the right column and read it was 6.5" barrel length. This 44 Magnum Has a fairly significant historical provenance as I mentioned in the post above comerade latest post It was indeed a 6.5" barrel. There have been different barrel lengths made for the M29 which is the successor to the "44 Magnum" but from the beginning std barrels were 4" 6.5" and 8 3/8". When SW went from the M29-2 to the M29-3 the engineering changes included deleting the "pinned" barrel to one without, shortened cyl that left the casing rims stick out (non recessed) and the 6.5" barrel went to 6" even. All of these changes were simply to cut production costs.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Papag - re: handgun accuracy you mention, I have a target I shot back in college when I had my 10" 30-30 with 2x Leupold. One day, just for curiosity, I shot a 3-shot group with some 150 Corelokt factory ammo, even though I reloaded....at 50 yds on sandbags.

Folks would not believe it, and I probably would not had I not done it and seen it, but those 3 shots, factory ammo, at 50 yds with a 2x, made a LITTLE BITTY Cloverleaf. I measured it once, best I could.....IIRC it was under .2" C-T-C......literally a 3-shot cloverleaf barely bigger than the little 30 cal holes from those roundnose bullets. Sure makes one question why they reload.....

I never attempted to repeat that group...but on to someone's post above about Coyotes, one day I was driving thru the country, and a Yote was jumping around in the ditch, I stopped quickly, it took off across a muddy cotton field which had been cut down. The field was muddy....I had a Ruger 5.5 MK II target model that I owned since high school (Dad got if for me). I jumped out of the car, racked the slide to chamber a round, and fired a shot over the top of the car while that dog was running way at an angle, I hit low, quickly adjusted my Kentucky windage, and shot over the 2nd shot, by now the dog was about 70 yds running as fast as he could.......and my 3rd shot connected at the base of the skull. He rolled DRT. That all happened WAY Faster than I typed this one sentence! Lol. I have a pic of that dog, with my Ruger in one hand, a wet muddy dog in the other. He was about half grown, not a lot bigger than a mature fox, but that was yet another 'memory' I have of my days when I did quite a bit of handgunning.

Wish I had that on video, it all happened faster then you can imagine....I was shooting 2-hand hold of course, open sights, resting over the top of the car. Afterwards, I realized I locked the door on that old 79 Caprice, with my first born in the back seat sleeping....someone came along in a few minutes and we unlocked it, they took that pic I have. It was a neat moment......my fave Coyote kill.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I only quoted what Keith wrote. 6 1/2" is fine with me. I just know it wasn't 4" as several writers have tried to get us to believe.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Let's assume he had a 1350 fps load, 600 yards would be 55 foot or so holdover, not even trying to factor any wind drift.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well Mirage 243, I shoot lots of different guns and loads and am constantly amazed at what they will do with practice. The last 15 years or so I've shot a lot black powder cartridge rifles at gong shoots from 100 yds to a mile and as I said the more practice you do the better you get is simply the truth. The shorter your sight radius is, the more elevation you get when you start holding the frt blade over the top of the rear blade. I've shot a pile of lead thru 2 M29 Smiths and 629 as well as a couple of Ruger Super Blackhawks. 4 winters back I went on a buffalo hunt in the Sandhills of Ne. The hunt went ok and I was done the first day. The next day my host asked if I want to shoot some on his Quigley course, I did and we did checked my zero on my 50-140 at 400 yds getting about an 8-9" group. He ask if I was done and I said no I'd like to try my pistol and so I did. He carries a 44 Super Blackhawk for client back up and knows how to use it also. Using the same style of holdover EK described ( yup that is where I got it from) my 1st shot was under the buffalo silhouettes belly the next 5 were on target, no tight group but rang steel 5 in a row. Point 1 I didn't have to worry about wounding a steel target. Point 2 you can't do jack [bleep] if you never even attempt to practice it, so I do and it's all ways fun to try something new. I got a pretty big imagination when it comes to shooting and women, and after 65 years I can damn well tell you it's cheaper to let the imagination run on the shooting than with the women. So quit letting your imagination limit you and get with the program. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mirage243
I've heard all my life about bullets just bouncing off of deer, bullets blowing up on a shoulder, etc, etc. I don't believe a word of it. I realize todays bullets are better than yesterday, but I've personally shot old Remington core lokts right through 1/2 mild steel plate at an angle, out of a 308. So, when people tell me about bullets bouncing off deer, I tell them to blow that smoke up somebody else's asz.

Are you deliberately trying to be asz?

The early Nosler Balistic Tips were not very sturdy. I saw my friend shoot a WT buck running diagonally away from him. The bullet hit the onside hip and went in about three inches causing a crater about 4-5 inches in diameter. While the deer was knocked down, he required followup shots to kill him. My brother reported about the same, peered over the steep coulee bank and a MD doe was standing below. He shot her between the shoulder blades. Again about a crater like my friends, but due to the location, either there was enough shock to the spine or it was broken. A follow up was required to kill her.

We didn't use the 165 30 caliber BT or 140 284 caliber BT again. This is sacrilege to many here, but I am not impressed with the Nosler Partition. Not a big sample size, but my father shot the WT buck on the shoulder. The whole shoulder was jellified, but the rear of the bullet did kill the deer. Seemed like a huge waste of meat.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Well Mirage 243, I shoot lots of different guns and loads and am constantly amazed at what they will do with practice. The last 15 years or so I've shot a lot black powder cartridge rifles at gong shoots from 100 yds to a mile and as I said the more practice you do the better you get is simply the truth. The shorter your sight radius is, the more elevation you get when you start holding the frt blade over the top of the rear blade. I've shot a pile of lead thru 2 M29 Smiths and 629 as well as a couple of Ruger Super Blackhawks. 4 winters back I went on a buffalo hunt in the Sandhills of Ne. The hunt went ok and I was done the first day. The next day my host asked if I want to shoot some on his Quigley course, I did and we did checked my zero on my 50-140 at 400 yds getting about an 8-9" group. He ask if I was done and I said no I'd like to try my pistol and so I did. He carries a 44 Super Blackhawk for client back up and knows how to use it also. Using the same style of holdover EK described ( yup that is where I got it from) my 1st shot was under the buffalo silhouettes belly the next 5 were on target, no tight group but rang steel 5 in a row. Point 1 I didn't have to worry about wounding a steel target. Point 2 you can't do jack [bleep] if you never even attempt to practice it, so I do and it's all ways fun to try something new. I got a pretty big imagination when it comes to shooting and women, and after 65 years I can damn well tell you it's cheaper to let the imagination run on the shooting than with the women. So quit letting your imagination limit you and get with the program. MB

You're reading me wrong, I'm agreeing it was a hell of a shot.

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Let's assume he had a 1350 fps load, 600 yards would be 55 foot or so holdover, not even trying to factor any wind drift.

I am assuming you calculated these results at sea level, because using the approximate atmospheric conditions around Salmon for that time of year gets 47-50', using a sight-height of 1" above the bore.

Another fact is both Keith and Kriley were shooting uphill, which decreases "drop" considerably. This is contrary to the common belief that shooting uphill increases "drop," even after decades (actually, more than a century) of various people attempting to correct it--including Keith, who more than once explained the need to hold a ghiher whether shooting uphill or down.

Also did some calculating with various degrees of front sight "hold up," and while Keith's story obviously isn't precise about how high he held the front sight, he does mention including some of the ramp. He also had the advantage of being able to see where the shots landed.

Dunno what the range was, but holding the front sight an inch higher with a 6-1/2" barreled .44 Magnum would result in about 30 feet of drop at 500 yards--without the uphill angle, which would decrease drop.

I might also mention the previous post about Brian Pearce reproducing the same shot at an actually lasered 600 yards with the same model of S&W and basically the same loads. I do not doubt this at all, due to having shot at steel gongs about a foot across with Brian (and a couple of other gun writers) at ranges out to 400 a few years ago. The range in question would only allow us to shoot either over a benchrest, or offhand (for some obscure reason), and over a rest (which would be much closer to Keith's shooting) we hit the 400 gongs more often than we missed.

From that we figured out how much front sight to hold over the rear sight, and started whacking away offhand. It was not entirely surprising (given the excellent trigger pull) that we usually came very close, or clanged them.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I am assuming you calculated these results at sea level, because using the approximate atmospheric conditions around Salmon for that time of year gets 47-50', using a sight-height of 1" above the bore.

Yea, since I wasn't there it would be a little difficult to know the exact conditions. I figured an approximation was close enough. What's 5-8 foot when you're talking about 50 feet of holdover. I wonder how he could figure that on the sight blade of a 6 inch gun? I'm thinking he probably didn't have a NF mounted on it. 😂

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ha!

He didn't "figure it." Instead he used his practical knowledge due to considerable practice at long range with revolvers, along with seeing where the first few bullets landed. Then he admitted to some luck!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I believe that Elmer once said about long range handgun shooting is that when you are really good you are close all the time and then you get lucky

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's pretty much been my experience as well--though am sure I'm not usually as close or lucky as he was!

The luckiest shot I ever made was a first-shot whack of a magpie across the Madison River with my father's Colt Frontier Scout when I was 15. That probably used all my luck up!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Until 2 years ago I had never attempted any long range shots on critters. Just never had a reason to. The longest shot I ever took anything at was 210 yards with open sights . 375 winchester. First shot made the doe jump about 4 feet in the air. Next shot entered her right eye . Luck and practice.
2 years ago I got a savage 10 heavy barrel in 223 for the express purpose of cleaning out pasture rats aka ground squirrels from the alfalfa fields.
Just for ghits and siggles I set up at a layered 500 yards to the outside of the colony. That put the bulk of shots from 400 to 500.
I had never ever dreamed I could hit anything at that range.
End of the day I had a 75% kill per shot.
Like my late father in law always said" you will never sink a basket unless you shoot the ball"
Elmer Keith shot the ball many many times.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have seen some amazing shots made over the years even with a bow so all`s i can say is : old Elmer made one heck of a shot ! the most amazing shot i ever have seen was my wife shot at a large 3D archery target at an unknown distance with a 30 lb. recurve target bow ,using her fingers for the release and she never ever shot very much but it was a nice day and she went with us. she dead centered the 1inch 12 ring at 85 yards.rest of us and no one else at shoot did it either there were about 150 archers at that shoot and we all had powerful compounds. so amazing shooting can happen and it might not even be the best shot but practice usually helps alot . unless your lucky like my dear wife who didn`t have a care in world about the shot only that it was warm ,sun was out and she was just having fun walking along with the rest of us.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
deerstalker,

Keith also did a LOT of target shooting, at ranges out to 1000 yards, from the time he was a teenager, including competing at Camp Perry with the Idaho National Guard team.

He also was indeed very good with a sixgun. Ross Seyfried knew Elmer pretty well, and not only handloaded and shot with him, but hunted with him some. He told me about Elmer killing a porcupine at somewhere around 80 yards with whatever sixgun he was packing at the time, one-handed from the back of a horse. The thing that impressed Ross (who is a very good handgun shot) is Elmer took the shot, then just holstered his gun--because he knew the shot was good.

Mule Deer;
Good evening to you sir, I hope that this last Leap Day of February finds you and Eileen well.

Since as far back as elementary school, where our principal Mr. Beaton would bring his Guns & Ammo magazines to the school library for us to read - indeed I am that old - I've been a fan of Elmer Keith's writing and story telling abilities.

In "Hell I Was There" I recall that somehow he'd run afoul of a someone in town and his father brought what I considered a huge quantity of lead, black powder and primers so he could practice up a wee bit with his sidearm before heading into town to confront the chap in question.

If memory serves he used to herd sheep by dropping bullets in front of the lead ewes to turn them and the herd.

Anyway, all that's to say some folks get to practice their craft enough to be very, very good at it and the story you related illustrates that. In most activities there's the virtuoso who excels to almost otherworldly ability.

Hopefully this Canuck can be forgiven for believing that the small Montana cowboy could do what he said he did.

Thanks for the thread and a good reason to dig out my copy and re-read it to get some of the above story re-arranged properly in my memory banks.

All the best to you and Eileen as we head into spring.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Didn't want to interfere with the .45 Colt-on-elk thread, so posted this for those who might want to know why Elmer Keith claimed to have shot at a wounded mule deer buck a long way off with a .44 Magnum revolver, instead of just walking up and finishing it off:

Paul Kriley and I hunted up Clear Creek on the right side where it is partly open bunch grass meadows and partly patches of timber. We hunted all day, and although we saw several does at 80-90 yards, one at 60, that I could have killed. We passed them up, as I wanted a buck. Toward evening we topped out on a ridge. There was a swale between us and another small ridge on the side of the mountain slope about 300-400 yards away. Beyond that, out on the open sidehill, no doubt on account of the cougar, were about 20 mule deer, feeding. Two big bucks were in the band, and some lesser ones, the rest were does and long fawns. As it was getting late and the last day of the season, I wanted one of those bucks for meat. Being a half-mile away, I told Paul, “Take the .300 Magnum and duck back through this swale to that next ridge and that should put you within about 500 yards of them. I’ll stay here (the deer had seen us), let them watch me for a decoy.” Paul said, “You take the rifle.”
“I said, how is it sighted?”
He said, “one inch high at a hundred yards.” I told him to go ahead because I wouldn’t know where to hold it. I always sighted a .300 Magnum 3 inches high at a hundred and I wouldn’t know where to hold it at 500.
I said, “You go ahead and kill the biggest buck in the bunch for me.” Paul took off, went across the swale and climbed the ridge, laid down and crawled up to the top. He shot. The lower of the two bucks, which he later said was the biggest one, dropped and rolled down the mountain. I then took off across the swale to join him. Just before I climbed up the ridge to where he was lying, he started shooting again.

When I came up on top, the band of deer was pretty well long gone. They’d gone out to the next ridge top, turned up it slightly and went over. But the old buck was up following their trail, one front leg a-swinging. Paul had hit it. I asked Paul, “Is there any harm in me getting into this show?” He said, “No, go ahead.”

I had to lay down prone, because if I crawled over the hill to assume my old backside positioning, then the blast of his gun would be right in my ear. Shooting prone with a .44 Magnum is something I don’t like at all. The concussion is terrific. It will just about bust your ear drums every time. At any rate Paul shot and missed. I held all of the front sight up, or practically all of it, and perched the running deer on top of the front sight and squeezed one off. Paul said, “I saw it through my scope. It hit in the mud and snow right below him.” There was possibly six inches of wet snow, with muddy ground underneath. I told him “I won’t be low the next shot.” Paul shot again and missed with his .300 Magnum. The next time I held all of the front sight up and a bit of the ramp, just perched the deer on top. After the shot the gun came down out of recoil and the bullet had evidently landed. The buck made a high buck-jump, swapped ends, and came back toward us, shaking his head. I told Paul I must have hit a horn. I asked him to let the buck come back until he was right on us if he would, let him come as close as he would and I’d jump up and kill him. When he came back to where Paul had first rolled him, out about 500 yards, Paul said, “I could hit him now, I think.”

“Well,” I said, “I don’t like to see a deer run on three legs. Go ahead.” He shot again and missed. The buck swapped ends and turned around and went back right over the same trail. Paul said, “I’m out of ammunition. Empty.” I told him to reload, duck back out of sight, go on around the hill and head the old buck off, and I’d chase him on around. Paul took off on a run to go around this bunch-grass hill and get up above the buck and on top. He was young, husky, and could run like a deer himself. I got on the old buck again with all of the front sight and a trifle of the ramp up. Just as I was going to squeeze it off when he got to the ridge, he turned up it just as the band of deer had done. So I moved the sight picture in front of him and shot. After an interval he went down and out of sight. I didn’t think anything of it, thought he had just tipped over the ridge. It took me about half an hour to get across. When I got over there to the ridge, I saw where he’d rolled down the hill about fifty yards, bleeding badly, and then he’d gotten up and walked from the tracks to the ridge in front of us. There were a few pine trees down below, so I cut across to intercept his tracks. I could see he was bleeding out both sides.

Just before I got to the top of the ridge, I heard a shot up above me and then another shot, and I yelled and asked if it was Paul. He answered. I asked, “Did you get him?” He said, “Yes, he’s down there by that big pine tree below you. Climb a little higher and you can see him.” Paul came down and we went down to the buck. Paul said the buck was walking along all humped up very slowly. He held back of the shoulders as he was quartering away. The first shot went between his forelegs and threw up snow. Then he said the buck turned a little more away from him and he held higher and dropped him. Finally we parted the hair in the right flank and found where the 180-grain needle-pointed Remington spitzer had gone in. Later I determined it blew up and lodged in the left shoulder. At any rate I looked his horns over, trying to see where I’d hit a horn. No sign of it. Finally I found a bullet hole back of the right jaw and it came out of the top of his nose. That was the shot I’d hit him with out at 600 yards. Then Paul said, “Who shot him through the lungs broadside? I didn’t, never had that kind of shot at all.” There was an entrance hole fairly high on the right side of the rib cage just under the spine and an exit just about three or four inches lower on the other side. The deer had been approximately the same elevation as I was when I fired that last shot at him. We dressed him, drug him down the trail on Clear Creek, hung him up, and went on down to the ranch. The next day a man named Posy and I came back with a pack horse, loaded him and took him in. I took a few pictures of him hanging in the woodshed along with the Smith & Wesson .44 Mag.

I took him home and hung him up in the garage. About ten days later my son Ted came home from college and I told him, “Ted, go out and skin that big buck and get us some chops. They should be well-ripened and about right for dinner tonight.” After awhile Ted came in and he laid the part jacket of a Remington bullet on the table beside me and he said, “Dad, I found this right beside the exit hole on the left side of that buck’s ribs.” Then I knew that I had hit him at that long range two out of four times. I believe I missed the first shot, we didn’t see it at all, and it was on the second that Paul said he saw snow and mud fly up at his heels. I wrote it up and I’ve been called a liar ever since, but Paul Kriley is still alive and able to vouch for the facts.

Elmer Keith

Great post/topic, John.

My perspective is maybe biased from being third generation Idahoan and having met Elmer more than once...but MORE, from reaching maturity in the late 1970s/early1980s, again, in Idaho. One would have had to have been there to know what an exciting time that was for one primary reason...Elgin Gates and IHMSA. Today a regional or national IHMSA shoot will have a few dozen to a few hundred shooters. In those few years it was so meteoric that some couple of thousand were at the '83 or '84 (can't recall exactly) nationals.

Elgin came to Idaho Falls like a force of nature, and soon EVERYONE was shooting handguns in contorted positions at anything that would stand still long enough to be shot at. It was a magnificent congruence of timing, where the jackrabbit infestation in southern Idaho, that had been going on since the 1920's culminated in the famous "Bunny Bashes" that made world news. At my High School if you didn't have a .44 Mag Model 29 or Super Blackhawk in a holster wired to your truck's emergency brake pedal you were a loser! We'd routinely spend weekends shooting a match then cruising to shoot at Jackrabbits out to the horizon.

That so many posters on this thread are intrigued by a +/- 600 yard .44 Mag hit is actually funny to myself and friends to whom I've directed this thread.

Elgin and his crew, even back then were lobbying for a 500 meter class in IHMSA. They regularly set up such fun shoots with many attendees. This led over the next 30ish years to MANY of the region championships having a 500 meter shoot at the end of the sanctioned matches, before finally, in 2015 it was added as an IHMSA class.

All of the above is kind of convoluted because I have the flu and am drunk on Nyquil, but: even back in the early '80s an accomplished revolver silhouette shooter could plink the 500 meter rams 40ish% of the time.

That Elmer, with his equipment/experience/loads hit an even larger target at 50% isn't even a question in my mind...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Keith and the coyote.

Before moving to the valley ranch, a coyote
came by the house one morning and I
grabbed the .25-35 and followed it over to
where the Wesleyan University is now. In
three shots, I made it so hot that it turned
back into the gulch out of sight and headed
towards the State Capitol. I followed along
behind and I got to where the cordwood was
piled to heat the Capitol. The coyote appeared
on the mountain south of there a good
six hundred to seven hundred yards away and
about thirty people getting ready for their
day's work in the Capitol watched. I rested
my left shoulder against the cordwood, aimed
at the coyote, raised the rifle fairly high above
him, knowing that the little bullet would drop
a long way, and fired. I'd reloaded the rifle
and was aiming again when the first bullet
got there and hit the coyote and he rolled
down the hill for quite a distance. I emptied
the gun, but could never hit him again, so I
went home and got a belt of shells and told
Dad what had happened. He said he'd go
with me and help get him. We trailed the
coyote up over the hill, down into Dry Gulch
into deep snow, finally coming on him in the
snow. I started to shoot him but Dad says,
"Just get a club. That's all you need." So I
finished him with a club. That hard point
solid 117-grain .25-35 had broken the right
shoulder and went about an inch into the
right lung and lodged there. But the hemorrhage
from the broken shoulder had simply
bled the coyote out. Dad stepped the distance
from the cordwood rick in back of the Capitol
to where the coyote had rolled, and said it
was between six and seven hundred yards. It
shows the futility of trying to kill anything
with a little rifle at that distance when a
hard-point bullet merely got into the right
lung after breaking the shoulder

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson, 1776
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by DocFoster
Keith and the coyote.

Before moving to the valley ranch, a coyote
came by the house one morning and I
grabbed the .25-35 and followed it over to
where the Wesleyan University is now. In
three shots, I made it so hot that it turned
back into the gulch out of sight and headed
towards the State Capitol. I followed along
behind and I got to where the cordwood was
piled to heat the Capitol. The coyote appeared
on the mountain south of there a good
six hundred to seven hundred yards away and
about thirty people getting ready for their
day's work in the Capitol watched. I rested
my left shoulder against the cordwood, aimed
at the coyote, raised the rifle fairly high above
him, knowing that the little bullet would drop
a long way, and fired. I'd reloaded the rifle
and was aiming again when the first bullet
got there and hit the coyote and he rolled
down the hill for quite a distance. I emptied
the gun, but could never hit him again, so I
went home and got a belt of shells and told
Dad what had happened. He said he'd go
with me and help get him. We trailed the
coyote up over the hill, down into Dry Gulch
into deep snow, finally coming on him in the
snow. I started to shoot him but Dad says,
"Just get a club. That's all you need." So I
finished him with a club. That hard point
solid 117-grain .25-35 had broken the right
shoulder and went about an inch into the
right lung and lodged there. But the hemorrhage
from the broken shoulder had simply
bled the coyote out. Dad stepped the distance
from the cordwood rick in back of the Capitol
to where the coyote had rolled, and said it
was between six and seven hundred yards. It
shows the futility of trying to kill anything
with a little rifle at that distance when a
hard-point bullet merely got into the right
lung after breaking the shoulder

When I visited Helena in 2002, I went to Elmer's old house at 1012 Billings Avenue, and drove from there to the State Capitol. It's all grown up now of course, but I could still see where Elmer must have stood and where the coyote was up on the hill to the south. Always thought that was a neat story.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[bleep] me to tears...
I thought this was a good thread...then after some real input it died...
PERFECT example of what the Campfire has become...SAD...
Rick should be ashamed...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great thread. Enjoyed the posts. Enlightens many who have not had the opportunity to witness or experience what can be done.

Indeed luck has a bearing when stretching the limits. And that luck happens more often with practice 😁

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 65 invisible), 3,061 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,698
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.