Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Uncas They can be very protective and a one person dog. However if you socialize them properly they are fine. Most Chessie's I have seen that were very protective was from people wanting them that way. My Lulu was the friendliest dog you have met. She loved kids and would tolerate them riding her, pulling her ears, hitting her, you name it. I could leave her with you and she would listen to you as if you were me. The only thing about Lulu was she was possessive of her toys/ducks with other dogs.

I have hunted mine in sub freezing temps without any problems. She would get cuts from time to time from breaking the ice with her chest. She would hunt hard and could careless what the temperature was.

One time I was walking her around this place called Bennetts Pond in CT. As I came around the corner into view of the small open water of the pond by the exit stream there was a lady. She gave me the nastiest look. I thought she was pissed off that my dog was off leash. Then she said to me you are mean and evil. I asked her why? She said you force your dog in the water in these freezing temperatures. I said lady you saw me just walk up here. My dog was in the water before I even got near sight of it. How did I force her into the water. As she came out of the pond with a log about 6 feet long and 3-4 inches in diameter. Lulu dropped the log at the ladies feet staring into the water waiting for her to throw it.

They know no quit!

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 02/27/19.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
GB1

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I am 76 and pheasant and quail over a pointing dog are my passion. Labs are great retrievers but can’t go all day and actively find birds. Try EP GSP. V enough said !

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Montana

Agreed on most everything you said.

My best Chessie was a 63 pound bitch. She would hunt 90-120 days a year, often waterfowl in the mornings and upland ( Huns, sharp tails, pheasants) in the afternoon. Very athletic, her breeder bred for athletic dogs with good temperament and hunted upland and waterfowl with his.

Jill was very characteristic of his dogs

She was my ‘best’ because she was ‘my’ dog .

They are not brown curly haired Labs , they are different. Not better or worse. Mine would handle for my young granddaughters and their friends in my backyard- basic overs and backs and the kids loved it as did the dogs

Anyone, including the OP , should get the dog they want . Do their research on the breed, breeders and go see some dogs

My thoughts...

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1beaver_shooter, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,077 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,072
Posts18,463,761
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.