Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am thinking 5.7 as well, 22 mag is 1300 FPS from handgun, cheap 5.7 is 1700 or so.

BP-B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I am thinking 5.7 as well, 22 mag is 1300 FPS from handgun, cheap 5.7 is 1700 or so.

Yotes and dogs won't know the difference, the price and availabilty makea a 22 mag shine.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If your a keltec fan I guess. I think most anything would know the difference in a 40 ballistic tip at 1800 and 40 soft lead at 1300z

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
No, he needs the Ruger. That way he will have interesting and informative stories to share with us.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If your a keltec fan I guess. I think most anything would know the difference in a 40 ballistic tip at 1800 and 40 soft lead at 1300z

Not got anything to do with a Keltec, I have about 10 different 22 mags. Walk into your local hardware store and ask em for a box of 5.7's. And your wrong about whether they know the difference. Dead is pretty much dead.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Had a simlar issue a few years ago here. At the time my usual around the property carry gun was an SP 101 3" 357. Killed many a yote out to 50 or 60yds with various HP and FMJ FN loads. Also had an old beater Marlin 25mn 22 mag that always rode on the tractor with me that handled longer range duties. As others have said, goal was to poke a hole in em at least, no so much instant kill. After a season or 2 of this and the yotes still multiplying, got serious about hunting them and equipped myself with a FoxPro e-caller, good predator hunting lights and a damn accurate Tikka 223. Also learned how to trap for yotes and set a bunch of traps. Doing this year round really put a dent in em. Today i still often carry that 3" Sp101, but my equipment rifle is an AR wearing a Vortex Strikefire with a magnifier.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Be sure EVERYONE knows the ROE and fields of fire on the property to eliminate a FF casualty.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
And what about the girl? Shouldn't she get at least a Marlin 1894 .357 or an M1 carbine??

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shaman
We've got a situation at our camp that requires us being armed at all times. This is a 200 Deer/Turkey camp in Northern KY.

Feral Dogs/Coy Dogs/Coyotes. These packs come and go. They're all interbreeding. The coyotes roam as a mated hunting pair. The rest roam in packs up to 6. They're a nuisance to the deer and turkey, but they've also managed to scare the bejesus out of us. We've all been tracked. One rather aggressive pack went after my grown sons as they were exiting their car and they had to jump back inside and wait them out.

As patriarch of camp, I've issued two standing orders:

1) Shoot anything resembling a coyote on sight.
2) All persons need to go armed when away from the house.

I normally carry a double-stack 9, or a single-action 357 Mag, or a 357 Mag Carbine. Moose is now carrying a Micro Roni Gen 4X housing a Glock 9mm. Angus is carrying a double stack 9. I'm also rather partial to a Mini-14.

It's to the point where I've decided Mooselette, now age 8, probably won't be able to solo hike around the farm. Her father and uncles all grew up with being left to have the run of the farm at this age. However, she's not yet ready to handle a firearm on her own and I don't want her having to deal with the dogs alone.

I thought I'd start a discussion: what would y'all pick for a task such as this?

I have no issues with any of the guns mentioned, save for possibly the Mini. Mini's aren't known for accuracy. If it's a later gun made within the last five years or so, it's probably okay. I would much rather you just switched to the AR I saw you had on another thread. I'm assuming it's in 223/556 though I can't think of a bad caliber they're commonly encountered in anyway. It sounds like you maybe need to go on the offensive here instead of defensive, before somebody gets hurt.

mch Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
In this case, the best gun for the job is not a gun but instead leghold traps or snares. Learn to trap and you can not only thin the population of coyotes, but all predators. Thereby increasing your deer and turkey populations. As a plus traps work 24-7.

IC B3

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Be sure EVERYONE knows the ROE and fields of fire on the property to eliminate a FF casualty.

We're all pretty careful about that. When we're out and about, we keep in touch via walkie-talkie. Normally, if more than one party is out hunting, we're at least 400 yards away from each other.

About the only quasi-mishap we had was about 5 years ago. I was coming in from deer hunting. I'd informed my sons, and I passed about 100 yards behind their blind on the way out. Just as I came past, Angus spotted a buck and unloaded his Mosin Nagant M44 at it. The report of that little short-barrelled carbine is serious! He was shooting 180 degrees away from me, so it wasn't an issue of safety. However, I quickly found myself in the prone position, examining the status of my shorts.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pabucktail
And what about the girl? Shouldn't she get at least a Marlin 1894 .357 or an M1 carbine??

She will. She already has a small arsenal set aside for her. She's just got some growing to do. At this point, she is still having trouble shouldering her Savage Rascal.

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

I have no issues with any of the guns mentioned, save for possibly the Mini. Mini's aren't known for accuracy. If it's a later gun made within the last five years or so, it's probably okay. I would much rather you just switched to the AR I saw you had on another thread. I'm assuming it's in 223/556 though I can't think of a bad caliber they're commonly encountered in anyway. It sounds like you maybe need to go on the offensive here instead of defensive, before somebody gets hurt.

Surprisingly, Moose was hitting a 6 inch plate at 50 yards with the Micro Roni fairly consistently. I was impressed.

Our offensive capabilities are somewhat attenuated in that we're not there except on the weekends. I used to have a good relationship with the local dog control officer. He used to use my front porch as a platform for exercising his 338 Lapua. He's retired, and I know the new guy is rather busy. A lot of the land around us is similarly employed-- weekend warriors. It's a prime area for feral dogs.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Local hardware will not have 5.7 ammo, on the other hand your not much of a gun nut if you don’t want to push the edge of the envelope. Mirage can you post up some 22 Mag coyotes? I have killed with a deer rifle but not shot one with a 22 of any type!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

.... a double stack 9....

That on person is IMHO the best "deal with an aggressive group of dogs" handgun you could have. Pick the one you like...hard for me not to default to a G19 but there's plenty of good ones.

An AR would be hard to beat on the rifle side. Not my favorite to hunt with but there's really nothing quicker with the same amount of reach. A home defense auto shotgun with mag extension would be great as well but loses out on the distance game.

Calling coyotes is fun and can help reduce the numbers.....not just by the kills but by the learning they get as well...they learn to avoid an area. Dogs, especially when in a group, will come in to calls as well....and they aren't nearly as wary as coyotes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
We've got a situation at our camp that requires us being armed at all times. This is a 200 Deer/Turkey camp in Northern KY.

Feral Dogs/Coy Dogs/Coyotes. These packs come and go. They're all interbreeding. The coyotes roam as a mated hunting pair. The rest roam in packs up to 6. They're a nuisance to the deer and turkey, but they've also managed to scare the bejesus out of us. We've all been tracked. One rather aggressive pack went after my grown sons as they were exiting their car and they had to jump back inside and wait them out.

As patriarch of camp, I've issued two standing orders:

1) Shoot anything resembling a coyote on sight.
2) All persons need to go armed when away from the house.

I normally carry a double-stack 9, or a single-action 357 Mag, or a 357 Mag Carbine. Moose is now carrying a Micro Roni Gen 4X housing a Glock 9mm. Angus is carrying a double stack 9. I'm also rather partial to a Mini-14.

It's to the point where I've decided Mooselette, now age 8, probably won't be able to solo hike around the farm. Her father and uncles all grew up with being left to have the run of the farm at this age. However, she's not yet ready to handle a firearm on her own and I don't want her having to deal with the dogs alone.

I thought I'd start a discussion: what would y'all pick for a task such as this?

I have yet to see or hear of a Mini in proper order that couldn't tag a 'yote at 50yds. Even the worst old pencil barrels can do that.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I'm not sure how much this will help, but I'll run it up the flagpole to see who salutes.

About 45 years ago there was a feral dog pack that had gotten so far out of hand that they attacked some people. The bleeding hearts had tied law enforcements hand so we did what we had to.

We knew the area they frequented, a fair sized woods, as well as that 25 or so assorted dogs were running together there. As I recall, there were about 15 of us armed with handguns, and shotguns, and one or two rifles, we went in and put on a semi-drive. The problem ended that day, with no reprecussions, and i vaguely remember a similar thing in a different area was handled the same way. That happened in New Jersey, the second most backward state in America, so I figure Kentucky should have no problem turning a blind eye.

Youthful enthusiasm is replaced by old age and treachery!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'll stand by my statement that a shotgun loaded with #4 buckshot and a predator call, particularly for feral dogs. The ones I hunted did NOT react like coyotes.
The whole pack charged immediately, and as good a handgunner as I might have been, I was glad as hell I had the semi auto Remington.
The sound of the snarling and barking and the sheer viciousness along with the quickness with which it happens....You better be a hell of a good shot with a handgun
and have the nerve to stand pat!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Local hardware will not have 5.7 ammo, on the other hand your not much of a gun nut if you don’t want to push the edge of the envelope. Mirage can you post up some 22 Mag coyotes? I have killed with a deer rifle but not shot one with a 22 of any type!

Yea, here's one I killed a month or so ago with a 22 Magnum rifle. Do you really think 22 magnums won't kill coyotes?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
22 magnum rifle sure at 1900-2000 fps, sorry I thought you had suggested the PMR30 pistol. Keltec says 1300 fps.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
539 members (222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 48 invisible), 2,564 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,401,021
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.