Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Fireball2: Yeah they look quite a bit alike - how about the color of the stock was it laminated light brown and light blackish or laminated green and brown with just a little gray and black - the 17 Hornets I have seen have all had the green and brown laminated stocks.
My week is starting out like last week finished way to windy to shoot - just checked my nearest neighbors sophisticated on line weather station and the wind is a constant 23 MPH and gusts to 36 MPH.
Can't get no group in that wind.
Come on spring!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
VG, my scope on the hornet is a leupold 4.5-14x40 with the varmint hunter reticle, nice fine crosshairs. It was a great choice for this rifle. Hope the wind stops soon for you to go stretch the wings on yours!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
vg, is your'un a Target Grey model?

[Linked Image from i26.photobucket.com]

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Crittrgittr: Thank you for that comeback. That is an excellent choice for both Colony Varmint HUnting and predator Hunting.
Good for you.
Still windy as heck here in SW Montana - it blew all night. Where does the air go?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Huntsman22: Yes it indeed IS the target gray Varmint model - looks about exactly the same as your'n!
Thanks for posting all the wonderful and wonderfully clear pictures of your trophy Varmints!
Two quick questions - which scope is that on your 17 Hornet and which bullet/projectile are you using for those successes?
Thanks again.
I can't wait to get my 17 Hornet afield.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the scope in the pics was a bushnell 5-15 (I think). It was replaced with a LRHS

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I bet it becomes one of your favorite rifles.

I own one. It is very accurate. Shoots under .5" at a 100 yards. Same bullet trajectory as a 55 grain out of a .223 Rem. It's stainless with laminate stock. I reworked the trigger, fairly easy task.

If you experience accuracy issues, play with the torque on the bedding screws.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Lennie: Thank you very much for that.
I was stuck at home today waiting for the "Culligan Man" (who is now 6 hours late!) and the wind has NOT let up one iota anyway.
The sophisticated weather station nearby shows wind readings of 11 MPH steady with gusts to 36 MPH.
In like a lion out like a lamb - I guess.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: Congratulations on your and your Rifles "great shooting".
Any particulars you would like to share on your loading/ammo?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
VG, did you get out and shoot that new gun yet?

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Crittrgittr: Indeed just this morning I got out to test fire and sight-in the new 17 Hornet - and I also "bonked" my first Ground Squirrel of the year with it!
The Rifle shot fair in what I would call "poor" conditions.
I drove the 26 miles south to my friends private range and in the time it took to drive that far the wind/weather conditions worsened.
Wind came up and it started snowing so I got it sighted in and made one five shot group (5 shot at 100 yards) in poor conditions, that measured 1.12"!
Got that done and killed the Ground Squirrel with 10 shots, even.
Like the trigger and the scope/Rifle set-up and can't wait for spring!
Wanted to run the whole box of 25 rounds of factory ammunition through it but the wind and snow were getting worse so I "adjourned"!
Did see a Badger on the way home but it was on a ranch I do not have permission to Hunt on.
The guy that owns that ranch is a multi-billionaire from kalifornicationikopia that owns 105 elder and nursing care facilities in kalifornicationkopia and is very anti-Varmint Hunting!
So passed on that Varmint.
Will get after "it" again tomorrow if weather improves.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Bet I know that guy.....

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Ulvejaeger: Yeah you do...
Are you up and at'em nowadays?
Come on spring.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
All: I could not take the "Cabin Fever" anymore! 24 degrees and 5 inches of new snow on the ground - I didn't care.
So today at high noon (M.S.T.) I loaded up the new 17 Hornet and my window bags and headed out to whack some Gophers.
Didn't take long as the Ground Squirrels showed up like "black sore thumbs" on top of the fresh snow.
The sun was just blazing and there was not a breath of wind when I touched off the first shot on a distant Gopher that instantly went spiraling into the air!
The sun was so blazingly bright that the ejected brass that fell onto the floorboards of the VarmintMobile was simply impossible to see in the shadow.
I guesstimated that first Gopher to have been right at 150 yards and soon another much closer Gopher popped up on top of the snow.
Crack he was done.
Shot 3 more Ground Squirrels and decided that five straight was as good a way as any to start "the season"!
Next I ventured out and took pictures of the bonked Varmints and the "V" shaped fans of red on the snow! We call this "painting the snow" here in SW Montana. Some workers had moved into the area and I decided that was enough and packed up and headed for home.
I now have 15 fireformed cases and ten more live rounds to shoot til I start putting to use the above recommended handloads to try.
What a great way to get the Cabin Fever" off'a my back!
The VarmintWife will be home from work in a few hours and I will try, again, to load some of my "painting the snow" pictures.
Come on spring.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I’ve got a similar rifle in 22 Hornet ... it’s been the best damn rifle I’ve ever put my hands on! Probably have owned it for 20 years now. It’s the older dark brown laminate stock with target gray barrel. I put a Bausch and Laumb scope on it years ago and it still wears it. I have killed every kind of critter that’s ever roamed my farm place with it. It’s got lots of battle scars now but it’s still beautiful in my eyes! I will never sell it ... period. It’s my go to rifle around here.

I’ve always wanted to try a 17 Hornet ever since it’s birth. I’m just afraid my 22 Hornet will get forgotten and she’s been too damn good to me to deserve that. Lol. Good Luck with your new rifle! Sounds like lots of fun in the very near future for you.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
RickyBobby: I also bought one of the heavy barrel Ruger 77/22 Hornets "long ago" and I had trouble getting it to shoot well!
That was not surprising to me as virtually EVERY 22 Hornet Rifle I have owned has shot poorly/not well (including an Anschutz and several others!)!
I am so happy your 22 Hornet is working so well for you.
Enjoy that "Hornet" for the duration!
My local gun shop has a very nice Ruger 77/22 Hornt in the walnut stocked sporter weight barrel version and I have been so tempted to buy it - it's in 97% condition and its on consignment sale at $550.00.
I am not sure how many magazines come with it - but again it has pretty nice wood and is cool looking.
I have a scope all picked out and set aside for this shiny blued Ruger Rifle (Leupold 2x7 variable).
I even have a left over set of 22 Hornet dies from one of my previous Hornets.
I do have a Ruger #1-B in 22 Hornet and after several years of on and off handloading I finally got it to shoot "fairly"!
It has a Leupold 6x18 variable scope on it and every once in a while I take it out and bag some Ground Squirrels/Prairie Dogs with it.
I say give the 17 Hornet a try - the 17's are sure fun for me (both the centerfires and the rimfires).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Love my Hornet!

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hey VG--when are you gonna start using specialty pistols for vmnts.? Just had a 9T 17 HH built on a Savage Striker. Netting 3650 with 20 v-maxs from an 18" barrel with 1680. Having shot a dog one with it yet but will soon. Great pics BTW!!

Last edited by sscoyote; 03/24/20.
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Sscoyote: I was early in on the bandwagon of the Remington XP-100 in 221 Remington Fireball - and have owned several of them since. Most of the XP-100's I bought were for the purpose of making un-taxed profits though!
I did turn 2 (two) of the XP-100's into custom Varmint Rifles and still have one of those (6mm Remington Bench Rest).
They are fine and accurate and were "innovative" pistols.
Today I have just one XP-100 pistol and it is an all stock early mid-grip model in 223 Remington - it has a Burris 10 power pistol scope on it. It is deadly accurate - which has never ceased to amaze me.
I also have a Thompson Contender with a 14" heavy barrel in 223 Remington with a Burris 3x9 pistol scope on it.
I should do more "shooting/Hunting with both of these fine and accurate pistols!
Enjoy your new 17 Hornet.
And this - what brand reloading dies are you using?
TIA
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Got Hornady dies, can't remember now which ones have to go back and check--3-die set is all I know for now. Will see. Yes looking forward to sending some PD's to PD Heaven this next week off.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Sscoyote: My local pawn sport shop has been unable to find either Redding or RCBS dies from any of their suppliers so I am going to try as set of Hornady dies. The good news is they are a LOT cheaper than either the RCBS or Redding dies.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
396 members (280shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1_deuce, 51 invisible), 2,314 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,723
Posts18,400,590
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.