-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I drive about sixty miles (one way) to work. EVERY DAY, some moron tries to kill me whilst texting or driving at or below the speed limit in the left lane and "formation flying" with the other moron in the right lane. In the flying business we have something called Single Frequency Approach (SFA), meaning you stay on the same radio freq when descending below 2500' AGL. There's a reason for that and aviators are a bit better trained than today's drivers. I'd make it an automatic one year/1K dollar fine for texting and driving.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Idaho Shooter: Your topic reminds me of the absolutely tragic death of the teenage honor student from Idaho that was cruising down the freeway "texting" when she hit the rear end of a semi-truck that was going the same direction as she and the semi was doing 60 M.P.H. at the time it was hit in the rear!
The resulting collision caused the death of that precious teenage girl.
Distracted driving is dangerous driving - no matter what the distraction is!
I have investigated way more than my share of fatal vehicular accidents and it sorrows me to the core to see a human life ended over such simple human errors!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The Idaho bill outlaws headphones. I wonder if that includes the goofy looking bluetooth gizmos that I see sticking out of people's ears.

I have a Pixel phone with two front facing stereo speakers,no earbuds or bluetooth needed..The google assistant (Hey google) will send text or read them back to you without touching your phone in any way..I only use it when traveling to let our son know where we are etc..Works great without any attachments or bluetooth..

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Idaho Shooter: Your topic reminds me of the absolutely tragic death of the teenage honor student from Idaho that was cruising down the freeway "texting" when she hit the rear end of a semi-truck that was going the same direction as she and the semi was doing 60 M.P.H. at the time it was hit in the rear!
The resulting collision caused the death of that precious teenage girl.
Distracted driving is dangerous driving - no matter what the distraction is!
I have investigated way more than my share of fatal vehicular accidents and it sorrows me to the core to see a human life ended over such simple human errors!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Is that the one that happened on the steep hill on I-84 just west of Hammett? If so, just a very short time before the wreck, she'd texted a friend that she really shouldn't be texting as it was dangerous.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I am not talking about texting. I am talking about the simple act of swiping the button to answer a call and talking on the phone, which is illegal in many states including Oregon.

If a cop passes you on the road, and you have a phone to your ear, it is an instant $300 ticket, as advertised by signs along the hiway in Oregon.

And tell me how my analogies are wrong when used to demonstrate that different folks have differing abilities. Do you think a fighter pilot is incapable of answering a phone call while cruising down the interstate at 70 mph in his automobile?

The problem is, in a fighter, you are not in traffic and not trying to hold yourself in an 8 ft lane. If my altitude varies by a hundred feet, or my track varies by a hundred feet, I am not going to run into anyone. In a pattern where precision counts, radio traffic is absolutely limited and done with a mic button on the throttle and a headset.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh yippy skippy just what we need more gooberment control

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I get the intention... However, you can still mess with the radio, you can still eat, read a newspaper, etc while driving... In TN here it is so bad, you cannot even touch your phone while driving or face a hefty fine... They did the laws wrong... they targeted the phones... not the distraction part...

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sako
I get the intention... However, you can still mess with the radio, you can still eat, read a newspaper, etc while driving... In TN here it is so bad, you cannot even touch your phone while driving or face a hefty fine... They did the laws wrong... they targeted the phones... not the distraction part...

Idaho considered a bill that would have prohibited a driver from eating or drinking. It didn't get very far.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Laws such as this have two goals. First is to make the rubes think government is out to make them safe. The second is to enhance the revenue stream.

Sam......

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
On a near daily basis I am endangered or delayed by some schidtstain ffuukking with a phone. The law ought to be simple. A violation of the law (swerving out of lane, no turn signal, slow in the left lane, not going when the light turns green) coupled with the officer witnessing you dicking with your phone gets you a distracted driving ticket.

Treat these offenses seriously. For example the second one nets you a suspension and forces you into the high risk insurance pool.

The irony of a poster who defends pedal bikes on highways complaining about someone delaying his commute. TFF

What pray tell would be the appropriate charge for the arrogant homo coasting along in his spandex on a bicycle delaying traffic and endangering everyone else on the blind turns etc?
Touche....... laugh laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Laws such as this have two goals. First is to make the rubes think government is out to make them safe. The second is to enhance the revenue stream.

Or to try and keep old [bleep] that can barely operate their vehicle or phone, let alone both at the same time, from killing a young person that hasn't yet wasted their life yet.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 02/27/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This chart seems to indicated that cell phone use while driving is more prevalent with young adults. I think it's from 2016. However, it is too vague on exactly what they're testing. I don't know if it indicates an accident rate or if's just the number of drivers using phones.

[Linked Image from thesimpledollar.com]

― George Orwell

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

195 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 1eyedmule, 257 mag, 2UP, 300jimmy, 13 invisible), 1,389 guests, and 891 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,286
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.