Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Like NM, Colorado has calichi (sp) mud. Slick as snot when wet, balls up and when it dries it is like cement. Mix a little grass or straw with it and you make adobes. Our gun range has the clay, it will build you boots up to 10 pounds pretty quick

When I lived in Arizona, I had to do some digging for work. Easy with a shovel, until we hit that caliche! It was like cement.

Last edited by 4th_point; 02/02/20.
GB2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Look also at maxxis bighorns. Still civil on pavement. Are a step up in mud from the bfg km2’s on f250 hunting/utility truck, a very good tire my most accounts but surprising poor in montana mud. Hard to strand a ‘67 4x4 hiboy w/ lockers in backcountry but came close with the km2’s.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sandcritter
Look also at maxxis bighorns. Still civil on pavement. Are a step up in mud from the bfg km2’s on f250 hunting/utility truck, a very good tire my most accounts but surprising poor in montana mud. Hard to strand a ‘67 4x4 hiboy w/ lockers in backcountry but came close with the km2’s.

KM2's suck.

Period.

Had a BRAND NEW (under 50 miles) set of 35" KM2's on a lifted '05 Expedition (granted...….a soccer mom's Ford, but...) and could NOT get up a routine hill...…...grass covered mud. The SAME grass covered mud hill my wife's Suburban (with original KM's) walked right up with no fanfare.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sandcritter

I have the Bighorns on my truck. They work pretty well in the gumbo mud. I do air them down some when I know I will be in the gooey s*hit.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by slammer
I bought a set of BF Goodrich AT KO2's for my Ram 1500 4x4. They go great in the snow but are terrible in this western mud. They just do not clean out and it's like being on slicks. Since I do way more highway driving than off-road, I don't want to go to mud tires just an AT that is better in the mud. Suggestions?

I don't think such a thing exists else I'd be driving them. Either drive ATs and put up with what you don't like about them or drive MTs and put up with what you don't like about them.

I am currently driving Toyo Open Country MTs on my Tacoma. I'm in my mid 50s. I have never gotten over 40K miles on a set of tires before including ATs. I made it on my first set on this truck and I'm going to make it on the current set. They are as quiet as any tire, including ATs, that I've ever owned. And yeah .. they are also the most expensive tires I've ever owned in absolute terms but they're not the most expensive per mile I've ever driven.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kumho MT KL71. I’m sure this is a tire not many of you have heard of or even thought about, they have a higher silica content in them and they are more pliable and siped allowing for a better clean out. They also have a good tread life warranty and are not crazy loud on the street.

Last edited by CEoW717; 02/15/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I run Coopers on my hunting rig. With two sets of Skidsteer chains in the back of the truck. Oregon gumbo in some areas will plug MT tires. Then some areas are too rough to keep the tires spun up enough to clean out. There are two sets of chains in all my 4x4 rigs.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
New 2002 S-10 ZR2 came with BFG TA KOs. Fair in snow, sucked big time in the least bit of mud. Pulled off the end of a stoned lot the first spring I had that truck. Didn't realize the mud was that deep. Damn near into the hubs, eventually got up outta there, with an audience looking on.

Pretty fussy after that, where I took that truck.Had Cooper AT/3s on a Silverado and a set of Hankook ATMs on the one I have now. Good all around traction and great tread life.Either one was better in mud, than them damn BFGs.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
FWIW. The BFG At’s you refer to in 2002 are not made anymore. They did a pretty big redesign and they are now the KO2’s. They may (or may not) still suck in the mud, but they are a different tire than the ones you used.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Yoder409
I'm from the way, WAY east of you. But we have our own varieties of schitty clay mud. IMHO..........an AT designation on a tire is like calling a Subaru Outback an off road vehicle. Yeah.........it'll go where a Camry won't. But it won't go a LOT of places a real 4x4 will.

I run BFG original KM's on my Z-71 around here from about October til May. I hate to walk when I ain't gotta. Spring 2018 found me and my brother turkey hunting Wyoming by ourselves and on the blind. I had seen what the roads in the NE panhandle turned into when wet before. Never so glad to have enough tire in my life one morning in the dark after an overnight rain........ !!! That Wyoming mud is a whole new level of bad !!!! Like grease on top of glass on top of ice. We got in. We hunted. We got out. We hauled about 500 pounds of Wyoming back I-80 in the wheel wells til it rained in Illinois and it started falling out.

Road tires are road tires. Mud tires are mud tires. Mud tires work WAY better on the road than road tires work in the mud.

Well.........from what I can tell....... BFG has also discontinued the original KM. 😠😠😠

Not sure what direction I'll go when the set I'm running now wear out. This was a TOTAL SCHITT move by BFG !!! Their current mud tires offerings are garbage.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FWIW. The BFG At’s you refer to in 2002 are not made anymore. They did a pretty big redesign and they are now the KO2’s. They may (or may not) still suck in the mud, but they are a different tire than the ones you used.

Just had the boss lady's Colorado at Sam's Monday, for a new set of Hancook "highway" tires.

Plenty of time to kill while there. Stack of 275/18" BFGs there in the show room area. Didn't really see much difference in their tread design, than the 2002 TA K0s I once had. Exactly what did I miss, 'cause I ain't no where near blind, yet?

One big change most tire makers made in "AT" type tires, was back in the late 80s or early 90s. Had a set of Firestones on my '80 Chevy 4x4. Forget the name, but they were wide, aggressive tread gums designed for off road use. They worked fairly well off road, but were a handful on the highways in heavy rains. Hydroplaned enough that you really needed to pay attention in standing water at highway speeds. Buddy put a similar set of Goodyears on his truck, noticed the same problem.

It was a few years later that manufacturers opened up the shoulder tread, so water could escape. If you had a set of tires like the ones we had and hit standing water going 65, things could get dicey right quick.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Well, you could google it instead of relying on an 18 year old mental picture. They look outwardly somewhat similar, but they are suppose to be substantially improved in a number of ways. I’m not sure if it made them better or not as I never ran the originals. They seem to get pretty good reviews. The coopers I had were pretty good but broken belts turned me off of them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They look outwardly somewhat similar, but they are suppose to be substantially improved in a number of ways.

Well, yeah and that was my point. Just looked at what's available now, at Sam's Club last week. Did not really note drastic differences in the basic tread pattern? Because I'm an old fook, brought up pics of them before I answered you originally. Danged if I see much different?

At any rate, my experiences with that tire years ago, made me never want any more of 'em. Toss up with me on Coopers and Hancooks. Both gave good traction and very good tread life. Sold the Coopers when I traded trucks, think they were upwards of 45,000 miles at the time and still pretty good.

Hancooks I just replaced last November. All but 60K on them by then, would've probably passed inspection, but I don't head into winter with tires that worn? Replacements were all but free and practically new, or I would've bought another set of Hancooks.

Damn near free is pretty hard to beat? grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The KO2's have a bit thicker sidewall and a more aggressive tread on the shoulder of the tire.

That's the two major differences I can see.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thicker sidewall not evident, but a big plus. One of mine literally exploded at 50-some thousand miles, while crackin' along at 65-70 MPH. Not much of a confidence builder, to suddenly lose a front tire at that speed.

I missed the shoulder improvement. As I recall, the original ones like mine, were kinda squared off across the tread, at the shoulders?

Guy pulled up beside me at a light the other day, in a lifted Rubicon with some large tires on it. Noticed the tread on the spare, looked pretty capable? Large tread blocks, plenty of space between them. As we rolled on down the road, didn't seem like they were as noisy as I expected they'd be, with that coarse of a tread?

There's a lifted RAM that comes past our place on a fairly regular basis. No idea what he has on that thing, but I can hear them tires singing long before he gets here. That would drive me insane, having to listen to that all day.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Toyo M55. Good off road tire. Oilfield standard. Not very good on ice. Everything with a tire purchase is about compromise.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by dubePA
Thicker sidewall not evident, but a big plus. One of mine literally exploded at 50-some thousand miles, while crackin' along at 65-70 MPH. Not much of a confidence builder, to suddenly lose a front tire at that speed.

I missed the shoulder improvement. As I recall, the original ones like mine, were kinda squared off across the tread, at the shoulders?

Guy pulled up beside me at a light the other day, in a lifted Rubicon with some large tires on it. Noticed the tread on the spare, looked pretty capable? Large tread blocks, plenty of space between them. As we rolled on down the road, didn't seem like they were as noisy as I expected they'd be, with that coarse of a tread?

There's a lifted RAM that comes past our place on a fairly regular basis. No idea what he has on that thing, but I can hear them tires singing long before he gets here. That would drive me insane, having to listen to that all day.

i use to run the goodrich "mudder" tire on my dodg diesel 4x 4. after four of them exploded at different times, all insured so free replacement i said no more. the last one threw me into a guard rail. we sent the tire into goodrich, they refused to do any thing about it said i didn' stop fast enough. well doing 70mph in heavy traffic and your front tire blows, you can't stop on a time. that cost me about 4000 in body damange.
i switched to coopers.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 02/28/20.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a sure fire killjoy, when it comes to BFG tires. Anytime someone at our club shows up with a new set on a truck or SUV, I can't help myself. Sooner or later, gonna hafta share the doom and gloom.

A buddy just put a set of their Advantage TAs on his Tacoma. Listened to him tell how much he liked them, had to mention my experiences with 'em years ago. Kinda dampened his spirit a bit.

Spreadin' fear and apprehension like a 2020 Dimocrat, when it comes to BFG. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From the YMMV department.........

I've put over 200k miles on BFG KM's between a Suburban Z-71 and a Silverado Z-71 with no incidents and ZERO complaints.

I will reiterate............. BFG KM2's suck.

R
rdd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Has anyone tried out the Yokohama X AT yet? There isn't many reviews out there yet but they were all positive.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
742 members (257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,714 guests, and 1,369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.