Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
This thing. The stats are listed at the link. It's a 4-16 power thing. Do I need the extra magnification? Probably not, but the price was right.

Vortex Diamondback HP

I had the chance to shoot a friend's rifle and he had this scope. Today, I was at Cabelas and was looking at it again. I was going to buy it, but decided to check it out online - reviews, descriptions, videos, stores selling them, etc. I'm glad I did. Cabelas wants $529 & tax - $598. I stumbled across Dominion Outdoors in Winkler, Manitoba. They had the same one, but the price, all in, was $466. $132 cheaper! Score!

This isn't the tactical model. It's the hunting model with the BDC reticle.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
BP-B2

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Did I miss the question.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
You did. The question was posed by one of my old students, Crandall Chattergee, whose family was originally from Bengal. He said, and I quote, "What is it about instant potatoes that I should know?" I told him the story about Major C.A. Chatterjee, late of this planet, and the intellectual jetsam of General McArthur's staff. He was, in all likelihood, one of student Crandall's relatives.
---
A Tuber Tale

Instant potatoes were invented during the Korean War. The inspiration came from General Douglas McArthur who said, "I don't care if we have to fill the damn harbor with powdered milk, we will take Inchon!"

McArthur was well respected, but not a scientist. You could not walk on the water in the harbor if it was turned into milk, but potatoes were another matter. Mashed potatoes turn lumpy, crust over, and get harder as they cool. Enter CA Chatterjee.

Major Crandall Abhoy Chatterjee

Major Chatterjee, keen to suck up to the boss, proposed shovelling dehydrated potato flakes over the sides of naval vessels and into the harbor. After a short time he said, the mix would harden and troops could walk into Inchon. He excitedly told McArthur that enemy artillery and mortar shells would plunge through the mix and blow up harmlessly in or under the potatoes. No one knows what happened to the major after his abrupt removal from McArthur's staff.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have one Diamond Back. It's not an HP and has no side paralax adjustment. I paid about $200 for it NIB maybe 9 years ago. It has good optics and is good in low light and it holds zero. It tracks about like my Leupolds and Nikons which isn't 100% but is doable. The only real bitch I had with it was eye relief which is not near as good as my Nikons and Leupolds. After a few years at the urging of some fellow forum members I called their customer service and they had me send it back to them to check out. About 2 weeks later they sent me back a brand new one just like it. They never told me if they found a problem with the old one but the new one wasn't much if any better at all. I had had it on a sporterized 8x57 Yugo Mauser when I sent it back in to Vortex for them to check it out and when they sent me the new one and I discovered that it wasn't any better I put it on a lower recoiling moderately heavy 7x57 Commercial 98 Mauser with a 24" sporter barrel. I like it there and the relatively short eye relief doesn't pose any problems on that rifle. I think I'll keep it there.

Last edited by Filaman; 02/26/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Not to long ago I bought a Diamondback Tactical 4-16x50 ffp moa. When tested the turrets were right on and the moa reticle was also perfect. SO a month or so later I bought the 6-24x50 ffp moa. Turrets were ok (usable) but the reticle was quite a bit off. Vortex's customer service was so very pleasant and sent pre-paid shipping for a repair. They kept it a few days and sent it back saying the parallax adjustment was off and RETURNED to factory specs. Like a user has some way of changing that! lol Anyway I don't know what they did but it's impossible to get a clear image at 100 yards now and the reticle is still off quite a bit! Why the hell have an ffp scope who's reticle is off at all zoom levels? It's useless for anything but a range scope now and it's not even good for that since the image is so bad! SO now I take it to the range with me every trip in case any of the hundreds of folks who wander by asking all kinds of questions wants my opinion of Vortex! lol A warranty is only good if they honor it! If their customer service just keeps smiling and repeating "it's withing spec's" then you don't really have a warranty! Anyway, it seems you've got a 50/50 shot at getting a working scope from Vortex! I guess what I lose on the second scope more than offsets the "deal" I got on sale for the first!

As a side note I recently got a Bushnell Nitro 4-16x44 ffp moa reticle and turrets for $290. I never thought I'd be buying a Bushnell and I've tried hard to find things wrong with it but it's great! The box test was right on (24moa) as is the reticle! Very nice image. Really nothing to complain about and miles ahead of 50% of the Vortex's I own. YMMV

but I should add, I don't own ANY high end scopes or for that matter any costing over 500 anymore so I'm talking about scopes at the low end of the market. Most I ever paid for a scope was 900 for a Burris Signature 8-32 target scope a couple decades ago.

Steve
I look forward to your range report and if the bdc matches your choice of loads. Hope ya got a good one!

Proper prior practice prevents piss poor performance!
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have had 2 of these exact models you speak of. I did like them alot, only complaint was at 16 I found it hard to keep the eye relief constant, maybe it was just my eyes. They ended up going down the road on the rifles they were on.

Dont eat the big white mint!
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I hope mine is a good one as well. I was going to buy a Burris 4.5-14, but this one was available at a good price. It's the first Vortex I have owned. I hope it turns out as good as the other Phillipine scopes I have.

All the best!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
I hope mine is a good one as well. I was going to buy a Burris 4.5-14, but this one was available at a good price. It's the first Vortex I have owned. I hope it turns out as good as the other Phillipine scopes I have.

All the best!

My current 280 rem sports a Burris 4.5-14X42 E-1, which I got for a smoking deal from Doug here on the fire. I do like both prefer the reticle in the vortex over the E-1 but for the deal I could not pass it up!

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Hey Steve, you and Sako270WSM tell me how your eye relieve is doing. I want to know if my short eye relief is common to all Vortex scopes or just my model.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hey Steve how ya doing? Need any snow down there, I could spare some if ya want. Only one Vortex scope here, strike eagle I think. 1 x 8 power. It's good so far, the eye relief is a little short but it's only on a 223 so no worries. Works good in the thick stuff on one power, field of view is something like 112 ft. at 100yds. It lights up the reticle, that circular 223 military looking thing, maybe I'll get used to that, not sure but I doubt I'll need it.. On 8 power I can hit stuff out to 300yd, not likely need to shoot farther up here. Wish I could find a spot to shoot 500yds or more. Would be interesting to see. Hope yours serves ya good, I'm out. Bill. 🐾👣🇨🇦

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Filaman
Hey Steve, you and Sako270WSM tell me how your eye relieve is doing. I want to know if my short eye relief is common to all Vortex scopes or just my model.

I have/had several models from the crossfire to the viper line. To me they are all different, some shorter than others and some horrible at full magnification. I have found the Diamondbacks to my eyes the most generous on eye relief at their full magnification.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I am writing this in the eye doctor's office. laugh

The scope has been shipped. It will be here next Wed. The eye relief was fine on my friend's rifle. It is a 308 and I had no problem with the sight picture or recoil. The lens is wonderfully clear.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
362 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 43 invisible), 2,257 guests, and 1,098 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,599
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.