Print Thread
Hop To
L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Wife and I are looking to book, maybe, a 10 or 11 day sightseeing tour, which would take us through some of the parks and other tourist traps.

Looking through the Gate 1 packages, I'm thinking "Uganda Tours" (4 parks), or the "Classic Kenya and Tanzania" (Naiurobi 2 days, Lake Elmentaita, a Reserve, Park, and Conservation area), or the 11 day Serengeti and Beyond (all days in Tanzenia) tours at this point. I'm leaning toward the latter, as that is the only one of the three that hits the Serengeti.

Recomendations/pitfalls? Alternatives? Seasons?

Last edited by las; 02/26/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

BP-B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
What're ya nuts?

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Serengeti is super cool. Pay attention to what time of year as this will dictate where the migration is at.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Last year my nephew and his wife went to a charity auction for a hospital. There was a South Africa trip on the block and getting zero bids. It was something like an 8 or $10k fully guided trip with airfare. They threw out a $1k bid just for the fun of it and won it. I thought they were nuts but they went and had a great time. They had no issues at all. I wouldn't bet on that being the norm.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I think you’d enjoy the full immersion (pun intended) Somalia at Sea tour. You’ll take a smaller boat out to a mother ship and get refueled and provisioned and then get the opportunity to board a larger ship while it’s underway. Usually the large ship is a freighter but occasionally you’ll come across a frigate or guided missile destroyer.

It’s a real taste of Somalia very different from the usual tours and a chance to meet real Somalians.

Good luck, have fun and maybe you and Tarkio could meet in North Korea, post trip reports to the campfire (I hear their internet is blazing fast) after you guys finish your vacations....he’ll be in Dagestan so North Korea is a good halfway point to meet. 😂

Sorry I just couldn’t resist. 😁

Enjoy whatever you decide and safe travels. 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I think you’d enjoy the full immersion (pun intended) Somalia at Sea tour. You’ll take a smaller boat out to a mother ship and get refueled and provisioned and then get the opportunity to board a larger ship while it’s underway. Usually the large ship is a freighter but occasionally you’ll come across a frigate or guided missile destroyer.

It’s a real taste of Somalia very different from the usual tours and a chance to meet real Somalians.

Good luck, have fun and maybe you and Tarkio could meet in North Korea, post trip reports to the campfire (I hear their internet is blazing fast) after you guys finish your vacations....he’ll be in Dagestan so North Korea is a good halfway point to meet. 😂

Sorry I just couldn’t resist. 😁

Enjoy whatever you decide and safe travels. 👍
Most people never get to hear an incoming round. All they hear is the boring 'bang' from the breech end.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kenya would not be on my list- poor security situation. I would look at Kruger in SA, or better yet Namibia. Go to Etosha for a few days, Mt Etjo for a few and Swakopmund for a few days. Namibia is probably the safest African country. Fly to Frankfurt on your chosen line, transfer to Air Namibia after a 10 hour layover and enjoy your vacation.

Who is John Galt?
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
My boss is currently on the Kenya tour. A walkabout with an armed guard.

All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void. � Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. (2 Cranch) 137 (1803)
NRA LIfe Member
GOA
SAF
CCRKBA
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by mrfudd
Kenya would not be on my list- poor security situation. I would look at Kruger in SA, or better yet Namibia. Go to Etosha for a few days, Mt Etjo for a few and Swakopmund for a few days. Namibia is probably the safest African country. Fly to Frankfurt on your chosen line, transfer to Air Namibia after a 10 hour layover and enjoy your vacation.

This. We did exactly this a couple of years ago. Got in a bit of hunting and fishing too.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Go to a big city! You’ll see a lot of Africa

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m a picky eater. A lot of restaurants in the good old USA I stay out of. I don’t want to even imagine the sanitary conditions of food prep in Africa. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by hanco
Go to a big city! You’ll see a lot of Africa

Good one!

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Ok - kind of feedback I was looking for. Nambia and SA tours are both offered. Not into the city stuff tho. Wife has been nagging me for years to go to Antarctica to "see the penguins. that ain't gonna happen with me. Cape Town beaches have some, IIRC. Maybe she can see one get eaten by a Great White..... smile

There is a 16? day Australia/NZ pkg offered too, but looks like mostly city hopping.

Last edited by las; 02/27/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
I’m a picky eater. A lot of restaurants in the good old USA I stay out of. I don’t want to even imagine the sanitary conditions of food prep in Africa. Hasbeen

Me too?

If I go to a buffet, I’m there waiting for doors to open. I don’t like eating after all the finger lickers

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It may be cheaper to set up your own tour. Check Skyscanner for airfares and contact Ansie Strauss at Kowas Safaris for a sightseeing tour. Kowas is first rate and can handle the arrangements within Namibia.

Who is John Galt?
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Come to south Arkansas you will change your mind about going to Africa

G
GRF Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Another vote for Namibia, check out Etosha and Erindi.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Ignore the naysayers. Africa is a wonderful place. Just be smart. Have someone with you that is familiar with the area to keep you out of trouble. Don't forget to go to a travel clinic for vaccinations. I can't get back to Africa fast enough.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My wife and I did a guided sight seeing tour of South Africa back in 2014

A bunch of dead stuff happened

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
We used these folks on our Namibia trip. Top notch all the way around.

https://www.africanhuntingnamibia.com/

Conduct is the best proof of character.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
724 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 3,128 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,745
Posts18,401,279
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.