Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Does nobody hunt w the safety in the middle position?

Sticks out plenty far to get ahold of and is still on safe.

Not a 77, But mine sticks out plenty, 70s and yes I like it in the middle. whistle

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by GF1
The beloved “Tanger” is the only one of those actions that doesn’t block the striker/hammer. The safety quality is worth having, IMO.

Why don't you come right and say it, the 77 is a piece of crap.

Maybe because it’s not. Point is that the MkIIs, Hawkeyes and #1s all block the striker/hammer. The tang safety guns are as safe in that respect as a 700 Remington and it’s ilk.

I sometimes carry a rifle with a round up the spout, and believe the blocked striker business is a good deal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GF1
Originally Posted by GF1
The beloved “Tanger” is the only one of those actions that doesn’t block the striker/hammer. The safety quality is worth having, IMO.

Maybe because it’s not. Point is that the MkIIs, Hawkeyes and #1s all block the striker/hammer. The tang safety guns are as safe in that respect as a 700 Remington and it’s ilk.

I sometimes carry a rifle with a round up the spout, and believe the blocked striker business is a good deal.

OK, so to be clear, you own and shoot MK11s, Hawkeyes and #1s, but no tang safety guns or 700 Remingtons and their ilk. Or, what else do you own and shoot? I am asking for a friend. grin

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Did a lot of Army Training with the Safey On, but certain 'situations" called for "Safeties OFF". In Civillian Life, carried a 'Cocked & Locked" 1911 of some sort for about 25yrs. Never had a "ND", nor with the Glocks I used later. If the weapon is in "my control", its Hot. If not, its MT Chamber, hammer down. Hunting, I like the Mod 77 MKII style in the middle only when I expect a fast shot. I hunted with an Afrikaner who kept his bolt raised a tad, but this was not my cup of tea. I read somewhere that certain rifles still have the FP resting on the Primer in this position. Mod 70 was his rifle mostly. He was also a SA Vet who used his middle pad to fire his R1, so he set his hunting rifles at 8# and used the middle pad. He wanted me to use his 375 H&H/270 Failsafe on my first Warthog, just to see. I use the "right way" and I pulled under/missed a super nice pig! I later shot a smaller one, after I chewed him out about that God Awful Trigger and used "my own" middle paddigit! Hard Headed Afrikaners....I have a Love/Hate Relationship with them, ha.

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 02/27/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Does nobody hunt w the safety in the middle position?

Sticks out plenty far to get ahold of and is still on safe.

I keep mine in the middle when hunting. It's not as intuitive (in my hands) as my Tanger models, but it works okay. I do know a local hunter who missed an opportunity on a really nice buck a few years back because he didn't swing his MkII safety all the way forward. He luckily saw the buck again and didn't make the same mistake twice. We discussed the merits of the middle position for the lever when you are in a stationary hunting spot.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by GF1
Originally Posted by GF1

OK, so to be clear, you own and shoot MK11s, Hawkeyes and #1s, but no tang safety guns or 700 Remingtons and their ilk. Or, what else do you own and shoot? I am asking for a friend. grin

Model 70s and Mausers...and an old Ruger heavy barrel flat bolt .220 Swift.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I have no issues with M77 safeties. Mine are all tangs.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Guys, this is NOT directed at anyone and I'm NOT looking to fuss. This is JUST my experience & preference.

I'm not a 'tang' safety fan and here's why. I have hunted WITH gloves in extremely COLD wx and......
*< more than once >* I have ' found ' the safety OFF because of the WEB of the glove between thumb & palm pushed it
off.

Now, on the # 1 and Brownings the safety is far enuff forward NOT to be dangerous.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I prefer the safety to NOT be low in the pistol grip. Just my preference.
No Offense to anyone.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I don't get all f***ed up about it I just use mine and kill stuff. Got tangers , All weathers and some Mk 2's. Winter must be getting long for some around here. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GF1
Originally Posted by GF1
[quote=roundoak][quote=GF1]The beloved “Tanger” is the only one of those actions that doesn’t block the striker/hammer. The safety quality is worth having, IMO.

Model 70s and Mausers...and an old Ruger heavy barrel flat bolt .220 Swift.

Oh boy, Model 70s. That should give pause to safety concerns on how they vent or contain gases, but that is getting too far off subject of this thread. grin

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A CZ safety or the safety on my Marlin 22 would have em really phucqed up.

They are backwards. Never really bothered me any as I got that 22 when I was maybe 12 and been running the backwards bastard ever since.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
A CZ safety or the safety on my Marlin 22 would have em really phucqed up..

If this ain’t the truth.

I’ve got Push to fire 700s, Wing 77s, pull to fire CZs, crossbar safety 760s, thumb safety CZ75s and no safety glocks.

Never have had an issue with any, and all firearms outside of the safe are HOT. Always.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damn straight..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

451 members (222ND, 22kHornet, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 37 invisible), 1,967 guests, and 1,082 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,401
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.