Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I just got into the ATV scene last fall because I live in a place (black hills of South Dakota) that has lots of ATV access and hunting is competitive. I have been at a disadvantage walking for the last 5 years so I broke down and bought a couple of used quads. Both are automatic 4x4. I want to set them up for hunting as best I can. Those of you who hunt with quads, What mods would you recommend are helpful and what should I not waste my money on?

GB2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

mods can be many many......winch......come along........

flat tire repair kit....plugs...glue etc...Vair compressor...spare fuses...

Tool kit.......extra dry clothes...rain gear..gloves....2 way radios....flashlights or cap lamps......

tow strap......heated grips are nice...first aid supplies.......on & on.........

In my parts.....9 outta 10 machines are SxS now.....local trails are cut & maintained to 66"

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What Tikkanut said covers most of the stuff that my ATV has. I use the winch a lot and it really handy for hoisting deer sized game up to skin in my barn or anywhere for that matter. It will also get you out of some really bad stuck situations. I have a gun rack on the front but in South Dakota you have to have guns cased while on a ATV or SXS so the case I use has to fit in the rack. As noted spare plugs, fuses, and proper tools should be carried.

I have a combination rear trailer hitch with a ball and a short plate with a hole for trailers and equipment that requires a pin. They are pretty versatile.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Winch with a snatch block and tree strap.
Gun rack/case/holder of some sort that will keep rifle secure on rough trails.
Basic tool kit, including tire repair stuff, and low pressure tire guage.
I carry a small 12v air compressor and ATV-size jumper cables - they fit in the under seat storage on my machine.
Lots of bungees to tie stuff on.
I have rack extenders on the front cargo rack, make it easier to secure stuff.
Figure out ahead of time how you'll pack a deer out on your ATV. Be careful you don't add so much other stuff that you can't strap a deer on.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Winch with a snatch block and tree strap.
Gun rack/case/holder of some sort that will keep rifle secure on rough trails.
Basic tool kit, including tire repair stuff, and low pressure tire guage.
I carry a small 12v air compressor and ATV-size jumper cables - they fit in the under seat storage on my machine.
Lots of bungees to tie stuff on.
I have rack extenders on the front cargo rack, make it easier to secure stuff.
Figure out ahead of time how you'll pack a deer out on your ATV. Be careful you don't add so much other stuff that you can't strap a deer on.
Depending on your age and physical condition the last sentence can be very important its better not to drag something for miles

Last edited by willycc; 02/27/20.
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Morning everyone, like above, axe, saw, rope, come along, winch, strapping, small pointed shovel, maybe, gun case & or scabbard. If ya can run off trails there stick to the 4x4 that ya straddle, it's still narrower that the SxS. They will go were you never thought possible so they can get ya away from the crowds. Hand & thumb warmers are a must for me now. If ya have to run down a side road to get to another area a windshield is nice, low so ya can get down behind it or make the mounts removable.If ya go way back in or way up there you can get pretty comfortable in a tent with mattres, good sleeping bag and a small stove and heater. You can also get a small boat into some lakes that are way in there. Good luck, Bill out. 🐾👣🇨🇦

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
718 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,722 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,696
Posts18,399,917
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.