Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
FYD16 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I would be interested in knowing about your experiences with putting a scope on a Springfield Armory M1A. Is the Springfield aluminum mount any good? If not, why not. What would you recommend?

Thanks

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The Springfield mounts are junk...won't hold zero.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I, put a Sadlak aluminum on my SA M1a Loaded. Learning curve for me to get it mounted just right. 300+ rounds and tight as the day I mounted it and holding zero.

There is a war on America and America is losing
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I use the mount from Bassett Machine which is highly regarded by M1A enthusiests.

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by JGray
I use the mount from Bassett Machine which is highly regarded by M1A enthusiests.

I've got one of those around here somewhere and I dont have an M1A.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a SA and it seemed to shoot loose. I sold it with the rifle. I also have an old Springfield made in the late 80s, and the index notch on the receiver is not machined correctly. So I can't get a mount on that one. I don't know how rare the receiver issue is, but I have one.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I used the Bassett mount. It held zero as advertised. I will say that I was underwhelmed with a scoped M1A. Accuracy was "meh." I could get a consistent 2" after I installed a national match spring guide, which i highly recommend. The stock needed a riser of some kind, or you'd have a chin-weld. Overall, i found that an AR pattern does everything better for cheaper and went that route. The M1A has excellent iron sights, so I just use those when I'm feeling retro.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I had a Smith steel mount and sold it. Primarily because it made a heavy gun much heavier and the comb of M14 stock just doesn't lend itself to scoping without putting on a riser. To me the M1A, of Fulton Armory M14 I have, really shines in the form in which it was intended to be used. A basic open sight shoulder weapon. For me there is just too much hardware and excess weight involved with scoping an M1A/M14 and I have other rifles for that.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Basset looks a tad clunky, but it's the easiest to install and they hold up and don't lose zero. As mentioned above by S99VG, scope will def show the relative lack of accuracy of the platform. My old match M1A is solid 1MOA; all the other ones I've owned are closer to 3MOA until you bed them, unitize the gas cylinder, and get some fore end tension on the barrel. Even then they're about 1.5MOA. Not like an AR platform where most of them are good for 1MOA with ammo they like.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by WTF
Originally Posted by JGray

I've got one of those around here somewhere and I dont have an M1A.

Sounds like you'll need to get an M1A to attach under the mount.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
FYD16 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for all the good input. I'll probably look for a Bassett mount and be prepared to be disappointed with my rifles accuracy however, it has to be a big improvement over my eyes and iron sights!

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
SADLAK I've tried all the rest.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've had one minor issue with the Basssett mount. They include a small wrench designed to torque the mounting bolt the same each time to ensure return to zero by lifting the weight of the rifle by the end of the wrench. Following this procedure, my mount will loosen up after a few rounds. I tighten it using their method, and then tighten it a smidge more which seems to work. I suppose a little longer wrench (or a torque wrench) would accomplish the same thing and be repeatable. Doing it over, I'd likely spend the extra and go Sadlak...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a Smith Enterprises mount on my SuperMatch. I shot service rifle matches for many years until my eyes went. It's a good mount and will hold zero, but a little heavy. I put a ARMS #18 mount on my M1A Scout rifle after I deleted the factory scout scope barrel mount. I also use with ARMS quick detach rings #22 as with the ARMS mount you can still use the iron sights with the scope removed. It is a good mount and will hold zero when reinstalling the scope.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 17CalFan, 163bc, 10Glocks, 50 invisible), 2,296 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,234
Posts18,466,711
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.