Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
MOGC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Has anyone had their hands on the 10/22 CS Competition Model? Seems to have all the bells and whistles. A local shop priced the blued steel/grey & black stock rifle to me at $679.00 but has had it on backorder for awhile now and can't find one. One of the top two on this page...

https://www.ruger.com/products/1022Competition/models.html

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
LGS has a 10/22 CS Competition on the rack. Been there quite a while. I've fondled it but found nothing to write home about or a need to buy it as a result. The stock is wood painted with a textured paint. Trigger is at best a BX. If it where me, I'd buy a plain jane 10/22, yank the barrel and replace it with a Keystone or Green Mountain for under $200; yank the stock and replace it with a Boyd's Pro Varmint or a Victor Titan, and drop a KIDD single-stage trigger kit in it. Come to think of it, that's exactly what I did! I have no doubt that my 'custom' will give the CS 10/22 a runn for its money and then some.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought one and am quite satisfied. Read the specs on their website and you'll see it's not simply a tarted-up standard model; the receiver and bolt are both machined, heat-treated parts. The barrel is secured at two points. The receiver's bedded at the rear. The trigger is the BX, but even that is about a $60 or more upgrade.

Before I bought it, I went through the Midway site and picked out parts with economy in mind and still ended up "spending" more than I paid for the CSC, and the end product would've been a Frankenrifle on a standard cast receiver with a screwed-on scope base. For another $400 or $500, you can get a real custom, which is certainly an option, but I can always spend more to upgrade the CSC if I feel like it. The "bones" are pretty solid as-is.

My only regret is that just after I got mine, they announced the SS model with an un-painted stock at the same price. The paint however, is fine and has some "grip" to it, and the rifle is pretty subdued in appearance, naturally camouflaged.

I paid about the same as you quoted, well under list. I'm still sorting out ammo choices, but it shoots pretty well with a couple types and only has a few hundred through it. Got distracted by some other projects.

What fresh Hell is this?
MOGC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That's kinda where I'm at with this. Beyond everything you mentioned it has the milled picatinny rail up top, clean from the breech out to muzzle, adjustable stock, ect. By the time I buy the parts I think I would be at the same cost and without some of the features that attract me to the CS Competition.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
MOGC,
There is a new on on GB for $599.

One too many hobbies....
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BTW, the painted "wood" stock is painted laminate, so should be quite strong and stable. This is my first BX trigger and while it's plastic, the pull is light and crisp. If I ever upgrade anything, that would likely be it, as much for appearance as anything,

I really like the extended mag release. They drop right out into your hand without fumbling, especially on the bench.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
A full blown KIDD is a jump in price, but not that big a jump considering all the little goodies that can make a smooth running 10/22.

I put my money where my mouth is & bought one last month.

But, Buds does have the Ruger in question, in stock for $633 shipped. I've handled, looked at one, & if it doesn't need aftermarket parts to make it run smooth, it seems to be a bargain.

MOGC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, I'll check out Bud's!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have one. For the price point, you can't build an equal 10-22.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
MOGC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lennie

How well does it shoot? And, has it been 10/22 reliable?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by Lennie

How well does it shoot? And, has it been 10/22 reliable?

Mine has shot well, but the grade of ammo I've tried is subject to flyers so nothing is conclusive. I got distracted futzing around with a Mach 2, spent some money on that that would have been better spent on good .22 ammo. It's also had three scopes on it in the process. Now the .17 is gone and the CSC has a 4.5-14 Burris on it for the time being, so I can focus a bit. I will say some clusters have been very tight and I'm hopeful as the barrel breaks in and better ammo appears, it'll be up to snuff. It's certainly better than the SS birch sporter I had a while back.

The chamber is tight and last time out I had a couple of misfires with SV, very untypical for that stuff, that went bang on a second strike in the same spot. When I got it home I took it down and cleaned it out, including pulling a snake through the barrel. I think the snake every couple or three hundred rounds, especially with greased bullets, would be prudent. Not big on cleaning .22 barrels in general, but chambers, especially tight ones, need attention.

The new Quiet Auto loads worked perfectly, but accuracy was pretty bad. They did a lot better in my CZ, about an inch, but I did have one squib that landed about four inches low.

What fresh Hell is this?
MOGC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you for the report...

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Mine has been been reliable. I went shooting with it today. Wind was blowing and gusting 15 to 25 mph and blowing towards me at a 45 degree angle. I was hoping for a windless day as the Ruger has delivered some great groups at 100 yards. This was a 20 round group shot in the wind today. Range was 100 yards. 20 rounds. Without the wind, I can get groups under .75.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
MOGC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the picture! I will pick one of these up as soon as my local shop can get one in stock.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
95 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,587 guests, and 769 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.