MOLON LABE

BP-B2

Campfire Sage
Online Content
Campfire Sage
I remember that fight, long time ago!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
But no ceegar...Beautiful left hook, though. Too bad about the eye on Cooper as I think he could have possibly beat him

Last edited by jorgeI; 02/27/20.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Very evenly matched. Had the knockdown occurred at the beginning or middle of round four instead of the end, he may well have ended it there. Regardless, had Cooper not suffered the bad cut over his eye, he had a fair chance of winning by knockout thereafter, or by decision.

I had just celebrated my second birthday when this fight occurred. I remember it well. LOL.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
‘enry Cooper was a national hero when I was a kid over there 😎

An athlete and a gentleman, believe I recall seeing him out running once when I was young and he was in our town. So long ago could be a false memory tho.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Few know it, but they actually had a rematch in secret some years later.

Weird. All images of them pretending to fight again as older men appear to have been made impossible to link to. Oh well. I tried.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"had Cooper not suffered the bad cut over his eye...”

oh, how’d he get cut?

he got hit

oh, who hit him?

Ali hit him

oh, so if Ali had not him he could have won the fight?

right

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 5thShock

oh, how’d he get cut?

he got hit

oh, who hit him?

Ali hit him

right

What's your problem?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Ali was a good fighter.He was also a jerk who would not serve his country.I have never had any use for him.

Last edited by Huntz; 02/27/20.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 5thShock

oh, how’d he get cut?

he got hit

oh, who hit him?

Ali hit him

right

There is that, but far more important and very clearly and easily seen is the FACT Angelo Dundee used smelling salts to wake Clay up and tore his glove in an attempt to stall the fight. The stall did not work but the ammonia did. My father was a gas-passer and I remember him being pissed about it.

Last edited by Sitka deer; 02/27/20. Reason: Frigging autocorrect!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cassius Clay was a good athlete, good balance and could take a fairly good punch - but he was somewhat over rated. Muhammad Ali was very much over rated.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He stood toe to toe with Ernie Shavers and took it, and gave it back. My favorite Ali fight.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I go back a long time and Joe Lewis, and for that matter the Rock, could have beat him in there day.

O.B.Wallace
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

there is that, but far more important and very clearly and easily seen is the FACT Angelo Dundee used smelling salts to wake Clay up and tore his glove in an attempt to stall the fight. The stall did not work but the ammonia did. My father was a gas-passer and I remember him being pissed about it.

The stall did work. As stated at the close of the video, the in between break in rounds lasted over 60 seconds instead of 15 seconds.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Blueboy
I go back a long time and ... the Rock could have beat him in his day.

Now that's a fight I'd like to see.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Joe Louis was a very hard puncher and fairly quick for a heavyweight, but often dropped his left and was a sucker for a good straight right - a la Max Schmelling. Marciano took punches well - seemed to shrug most of them off - and a very hard puncher, especially inside. Biggest factor is that he was relentless. In imagination, it would have been a good fight, but I think he would have taken Clay out during a 15 round fight.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CCCC
Joe Louis was a very hard puncher and fairly quick for a heavyweight, but often dropped his left and was a sucker for a good straight right - a la Max Schmelling. Marciano took punches well - seemed to shrug most of them off - and a very hard puncher, especially inside. Biggest factor is that he was relentless. In imagination, it would have been a good fight, but I think he would have taken Clay out during a 15 round fight.

Local Hero was Carmen Basillio. He lead with his face. Relentless.
And served his country during his career. Didn’t cater to the mob. Made for a tough career.
And a hell of a nice guy.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 257_X_50
[

Local Hero was Carmen Basillio. He lead with his face. Relentless.
And served his country during his career. Didn’t cater to the mob. Made for a tough career.
And a hell of a nice guy.

Absolutely. After he retired he worked at a local college I attended, More recently my sister met and has become friends with Carmen's granddaughter. He was a hell of a fighter and a very very nice guy. Those who don't know him should search Basillo vs Sugar Ray. smile

-=[Bob]=-
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I laugh when folks bring up some of the old boxers and make statements sound like absolute facts about them. Just on size, weight, speed and the ability to take a punch, Ali was the greatest. He, like Ted Williams (the greatest in his field) spent the prime of their careers out of their profession. That said, it is a reasonable theory Cooper could have won that fight had that hook landed a minute or even thirty seconds earlier. Also remember Ali took SOLID punchers from the likes of Frazier and Foreman, without question, the hardest puncher in boxing history.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I laugh when folks bring up some of the old boxers and make statements sound like absolute facts about them. Just on size, weight, speed and the ability to take a punch, Ali was the greatest. He, like Ted Williams (the greatest in his field) spent the prime of their careers out of their profession. That said, it is a reasonable theory Cooper could have won that fight had that hook landed a minute or even thirty seconds earlier. Also remember Ali took SOLID punchers from the likes of Frazier and Foreman, without question, the hardest puncher in boxing history.

Agree with all that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
314 members (3333vl, 12344mag, 303savage, 160user, 300jimmy, 257 mag, 41 invisible), 1,467 guests, and 651 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,241
Posts18,371,529
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.