Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldman3
Now for my question. There are 2 main types of blown insulation, fiberglass and cellulose. Fiberglass is just what it says. The cellulose is shredded paper and can have fire retardant and boric acid, for bugs, added. Has anyone used the cellulose and tell me anything about it. I know the fiberglass has a R rating of 2.7 per inch, while the cellulose has a 3.7 R rating per inch. The cellulose is a little cheaper and has a better R rating.

Anyone know any pros or cons about either.
Personally, I don't like cellulose. I believe that it compacts over time and loses R value, I think it's a mold magnet too. Once it gets damp it is toast. I also think that it is dusty and the dust somehow gets in the house, making for a very dusty house. I could be wrong, I'm willing to listen.

ETA: I think blown insulation makes it harder to use the attic for storage too.

Last edited by Tyrone; 02/27/20.

Politics is War by Other Means
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Wow, super! Thanks for sharing.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have got one major job to complete at a later date..... blowing insulation into the attic. I've held off doing this job until we live in the house a month or so, to make sure all the electrical and ac/heater equipment is operating properly.

Now for my question. There are 2 main types of blown insulation, fiberglass and cellulose. Fiberglass is just what it says. The cellulose is shredded paper and can have fire retardant and boric acid, for bugs, added. Has anyone used the cellulose and tell me anything about it. I know the fiberglass has a R rating of 2.7 per inch, while the cellulose has a 3.7 R rating per inch. The cellulose is a little cheaper and has a better R rating.

Damp Climate I would go with Fiberglass if just for that reason.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OldMan:

Congratulations on finally completing the journey. Quite a project. You are to be comended for sticking with it.

I am a retired architect and I have done several similar projects so I know that selective demolition is very time consuming. You have to be careful not to damage that which will remain. It almost looks like it would have been easier, quicker and cheaper to just remove everything but the foundation and utilities then start from scratch. Are there code or zoning restrictions that prevented you from doing that?

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks great Oldman, heres to wishing you and the Mrs. a long and comfortable stay. Too much yard to mow, better get a goat.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tyrone

Personally, I don't like cellulose. I believe that it compacts over time and loses R value, I think it's a mold magnet too. Once it gets damp it is toast. I also think that it is dusty and the dust somehow gets in the house, making for a very dusty house. I could be wrong, I'm willing to listen.

ETA: I think blown insulation makes it harder to use the attic for storage too.

I like fiberglass blow in, that stuff will outlast all of us. It's about 20% more expensive than cellulose, but probably a good idea in damp environment.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I have got one major job to complete at a later date..... blowing insulation into the attic. I've held off doing this job until we live in the house a month or so, to make sure all the electrical and ac/heater equipment is operating properly.

I can't speak to modern-day lose cellulose insulation but back in the day, over time it would settle and pack down, and depending on tightness of construction, accumulated dust and prone to draw and hold moisture. It also could get blown around to varying depths in heavier winds, too. The added weight from years of accumulated dust and moisture can cause plasterboard ceilings to sag and even crack, too.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Down there i would go glass.

It's just to humid.

This old house had rock wool when it was built back in the 60's and when remodeling before we moved we found that it had packed down about 2 ft.

After putting new glass in and foam board with a vapor barrier wrap,with new siding it had helped keep it cooler and warmer.

We also put in new windows in.

By the way the house still breathes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by plainsman456
This old house had rock wool when it was built back in the 60's and when remodeling before we moved we found that it had packed down about 2 ft.

After putting new glass in and foam board with a vapor barrier wrap,with new siding it had helped keep it cooler and warmer.
How did you get that schitt out?

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
How far you having to move stuff, Randy?

Barry, the furniture is about 120 miles from here. I've already rented the biggest U-Haul truck and a got friends and family lined up for the move. One trip is all it will take, so it wont be too bad. I appreciate the offer and you're welcome anytime to come visit..... might even feed ya!

Blown Insulation Question

Several members answered and the consensus was that in the damp climate we have, I better stay away from the cellulose. I never thought of that and I really appreciate the words-of-wisdom. Fiberglass it will be.

As for batt vs. blown in..... the attic is so low that there is hardly any room for any storage. You can't stand up straight in the attic. Maybe one sheet of plywood by the attic stairs and that will be all. I'll go with blown in.

Are there code or zoning restrictions that prevented you from doing that?

KC, I had to be careful how I did things.. I wont go into all of it, but for trailers and new construction, you have to jump thru hoops, but...... remodeling is another story. By checking with the utility companies first and finding out what they required, I managed to avoid all the pitfalls. Thus when I called them to come turn on the utilities (gas, electric, water) they didn't have a problem and didn't require a permit from the parish (county). Different parishes have different building codes but our parish is lenient on remodeling. There might have been a shuck-n-jive pulled a time or two. whistle

How did you get that schitt out?

This house had rockwool batts in the walls and attic. Took it out by hand and stuffed it in 55 gal trash bags. Took 32 bags to the dump. Itched for 3 days!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Very cool. Thanks for sharing. Bet you're glad to be mostly done!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Hey you got that place lookin GREAT!!!

Camp is where you make it.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

KC, I had to be careful how I did things.. I wont go into all of it, but for trailers and new construction, you have to jump thru hoops, but...... remodeling is another story. By checking with the utility companies first and finding out what they required, I managed to avoid all the pitfalls. Thus when I called them to come turn on the utilities (gas, electric, water) they didn't have a problem and didn't require a permit from the parish (county). Different parishes have different building codes but our parish is lenient on remodeling. There might have been a shuck-n-jive pulled a time or two. whistle

Pretty far stretch to characterize that as a remodel project. It obviously worked, so good on you. I love it anytime that someone outsmarts the regulation makers.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
My Dad was a flipper before the name was coined. He would buy old houses and along with his 2 sons would gut and rebuild houses . My brother and I learned life lessons from this process. He is a successful GC and when I semi-retire in the next year or so, I think we are going to flip some houses together.
Originally Posted by KC

Pretty far stretch to characterize that as a remodel project. It obviously worked, so good on you. I love it anytime that someone outsmarts the regulation makers.

Yep it would, but he did it the right way and probably exceeding code.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Very nice, Oldman3.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
My Dad was a flipper before the name was coined. He would buy old houses and along with his 2 sons would gut and rebuild houses . My brother and I learned life lessons from this process. He is a successful GC and when I semi-retire in the next year or so, I think we are going to flip some houses together.
Originally Posted by KC

Yep it would, but he did it the right way and probably exceeding code.

My Dad was a rehabbed before the term was coined. I have rehabbed at least 50 properties myself over the years.

Dad was absolutely fearless when it came to rehabbing. Helped him with several. He would buy concrete block shells that had sat for years. I remember a few. Grass waist high, mice, snakes. Remember hand building the trusses for a couple. The floor joist picture was a flashback.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KC

KC, the last time I talked to the building code people, I had them scratching their heads. The short version of the incident is that you have to have a permit from A before you are suppose to do certain work To get a permit from A, you have to have a permit from B. To get a permit from B, you have to have a permit from A.

When I pointed that out to the people at B, they said they didn't know what I was suppose to do. So I told them I would call them, when I had a question. So far, I haven't called them.

Like I said earlier, new construction and trailer houses, it's spelled out in black-n-white. Remodeling, has a lot of gray area. If its on an existing foundation and has a roof over it, it's a remodeling job.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B

There is something magical about being connected to the land, places and people you grew up with.

Congratulations and best wishes to you and your family in your new home.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Randy, glad you are about done. Looks like time to go Crappie fishing, or White perch, or Sac-a-lac. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
We have a city dumpster here on the place.

I got some 55 gallon heavy duty trash bags from the city and hauled a lot of them to the dump.

It was nasty but was sure happy with the way things turned out.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

697 members (163dm, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 65 invisible), 3,033 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,578
Posts18,454,049
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.