Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by hillestadj
I'm thinking about picking up a leftover '19 RAM 1500. Any of you gents currently driving one or already out of one? Interested in real life experiences - likely looking at Big Horn trim level, maybe the right Laramie. Don't think I trust the 5.7 Hemi w/ eTorque but I'll listen. Likes? Dislikes? Major failures? Seems like there were/are some electrical gremlins and some early transmission issues reported online but everything has problems on the interwebs.

Heres what I know that I know. Having test driven 3 I know they are smoother riding than a Tundra. I know the interior is more up to date than Tundras at any trim level including 1794s. I know that I don't fully trust Chrysler/Fiat. I KNOW that I can pick up a Tundra and be happy with it starting every morning and being trouble free for the next decade or more....

Disclaimer: I don't care what you drive outside of the RAM in question. I don't care what your stance is on foreign or domestic auto sales. I don't care to hear about GM, Ford, or other makes/models. I don't care about your philosophy on paying cash, leasing, financing, trade ins or driving a 14 year old schitt box cause Dave Ramsey said so. That is all.

You won't have any issues with that motor. Mine was the Big Horn trim level. Plenty of bang for the buck on that! LOVE the 8-speed trans. I don't have a 19, but have driven plenty of them. The 5.7 and 8-speed trans are the same as they are now. I had no issues.

My buddy is a sales manager at a local Ram dealer. The 19 interior on the Big Horn and above is pretty damn fancy. The bigger touch screen dash is like working in a plane cock pit. They do sell some e-torque, but like you, a lot of people are apprehensive until the bugs are worked out.

I had ZERO mechanical issues with mine in 140K miles. There was a recall for something in the dash and Ram replaced the dash. I didn't have any issues with mine up to the time it was replaced, but it did fall within the recall limits. I was given a brand spanking new Ram off the lot to use while mine was being swapped. It took them 4 days. I didn't even have to replace the brakes in the time I've owned it. On the previous F-150's and F-250's I've owned... 140K miles would have been 2 break jobs. I pulled up to 3500 pounds every weekend from April until January with no issues. Pulled 6500 pounds a few times, also with no issues. My wife and I were discussing trucks last weekend and we both agreed that we like the Ram the best out of all the trucks we've had. Current truck isn't a Ram but the next one will be, no doubt.

If I had to pick something I didn't like about it, it would be tough, but ground clearance would be one of them. It also took some getting used to the shifter being a dial on the dash. But...That freed up a lot of room in the console. I can't compare it to a Tundra because my last Tundra was a 2006 and probably a different body style than what yours is.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My wife has a 2019 Ram Rebel. It's got about 12k miles on it. It's very comfortable to drive, roomy interior, seats are comfy even while road trippin'. We've had it in for two recalls. Neither had affected us yet, but make sure they've done the recalls already. It does sit really low to the ground though. We get about 18 mpg with the 5.7 & 8 speed auto. I read some really disheartening things about the E-Torque so I didn't even look at them. It was early last spring, maybe they got them figured out, but they were failing so fast the dealers couldn't get parts in stock. Had a few sitting waiting for new parts in the back lot. She had Jeeps before this, but this is the first Dodge pickup I've bought since a 96 Cummins.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
On my middle son's 2016, the bolts holding the exhaust manifold on broke, and I understand this is a common problem that gets covered under warranty. Also, his tailgate started falling open on its own, also covered under warranty though not without some heated discussion with the dealer.

My mechanics and I are Chevy guys, but they say that Dodge would be their next choice. They are not fans of Ford or Toyota trucks.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the responses. I'll be seeing who needs a little end of month sales boost tomorrow after work, might update with new truck pics if the price is right.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I hope you get a good deal

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

My son has a 2014 Ram. He loves the truck, but he has had every known issue with these. Gurgle "Ram death wobble".

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Thanks for the responses. I'll be seeing who needs a little end of month sales boost tomorrow after work, might update with new truck pics if the price is right.

I’ll bet if you work across 4 or 5 dealers, & tease ‘em into Saturday night, you’ll end up with a great deal, indeed. Tell ‘em you want the Leap Year discount. smile

FWIW, a guide took several of us around the property on a hog hunt in a Dodge a few years back. The thing was so quiet, even bouncing around a S TX game ranch, that I figured it must be new. It was 4 years old then, and it was just as quiet when I went back the next 2 years. I was impressed.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well I had every intention of bringing home a Laremie yesterday afternoon. Had a great price negotiated yada yada yada - two hours away mind you. Sat down to sign and numbers were not what we discussed "Whoa whoa whoa" says I. The dealership GM got involved long story short I was told so and so must have transposed a number we cant let it out the door for $4X,XXX. "No sweat" says I, "Toss me my keys". Not 30 miles down the road I'm getting texts and voicemails from them asking come back, what can we do to earn your business. FCA dealership stepped on their d.ick big time.

Doesn't hurt to have back up plans and a Tacoma you own outright. REALLY doesn't hurt to not NEED a new truck.

Local Toyota dealership also wanted to shore up sales number at the end of the month. They had a 2019 Tundra 1794 with 3,800 miles that the GM had used as a demo vehicle. I had scoped this one out in my travels and was texting back and forth the last week and a half with sales. Long story longer, they came down a decent amount which is pretty uncommon with Toyota dealerships in my experience. I beat them up a little more on my trade evaluation. Ran numbers - said I need $1000 more off the OTD number and we can do this. They came back with half that. Said thanks but no thanks. Ten minutes later I got the call, manager says "You got it, we can have paperwork ready and the truck detailed/fueled up by 2:00."

Lessons learned: try new things, keep an open mind, say f.uck new things, buy Toyota.

Didn't snap a decent photo yet but here's one I snagged from dealer site.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by hillestadj; 02/29/20.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you wanted to keep messing around, you could have gotten the Ram then after they kept calling you back.

But congrats on the Toyota, it should be a fun truck.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
If you wanted to keep messing around, you could have gotten the Ram then after they kept calling you back.

But congrats on the Toyota, it should be a fun truck.

No doubt you're correct, but them's the breaks.

Renege on a deal with number stated in both text and email AND then try and slip it by without mentioning it, I walk and never look back. I had some reservations about an FCA vehicle in the back of my mind anyway but was willing to take the chance for the money. They just confirmed them up front - if they can't do the right thing before I sign on the line I sure as hell can't trust them to take care of me 30,000 miles from now should the need arise.

Still in the honeymoon phase but I doubt I'll have any regrets with the Tundra. TRD dual exhaust purrs like a kitten, was running around without the radio on all afternoon smiling wide.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't want to her about other brands. Unless it's Toyota. LOL

LOL
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Resale tells the tail. You made the correct decision.

GOD Bless America
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd say you went the right direction with the Tundra. I loved the Tundra I had, just wish the wife wouldn't have needed a better car and my truck went down the road several years ago for her a car at the time. Anyways, my son drives my old 09 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4. The motor is as strong as they come, just wish I could say the same about the 4WD system. This is the second time it's been in the shop in the last 2 years for 4WD issues. A couple of forum members here in AK recommended a local mechanic to me that had great reviews for dealing with transmissions and transfer cases, etc.. The mechanic has asked me to come and pick it up, as they can't figure out the cause of the 4wd system going out, They have changed out the transfer case motor, and tested the electrical system that it keeps throwing codes for with no luck.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
New pickups are for pussies.

I am MAGA.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hudge
I'd say you went the right direction with the Tundra. I loved the Tundra I had, just wish the wife wouldn't have needed a better car and my truck went down the road several years ago for her a car at the time. Anyways, my son drives my old 09 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4. The motor is as strong as they come, just wish I could say the same about the 4WD system. This is the second time it's been in the shop in the last 2 years for 4WD issues. A couple of forum members here in AK recommended a local mechanic to me that had great reviews for dealing with transmissions and transfer cases, etc.. The mechanic has asked me to come and pick it up, as they can't figure out the cause of the 4wd system going out, They have changed out the transfer case motor, and tested the electrical system that it keeps throwing codes for with no luck.

Go park it at Jim creek check on it, in 2-3 days call insurance company

Last edited by 79S; 03/01/20.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
New pickups are for pussies.

No you meant cowboy hats Jesus man not new pickups

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
While on the subject of "Ram" trucks, why have they completely separated themselves from the "Dodge" name? I'm always late to the table with current issues and was just wondering. I've been told you can't find the word Dodge printed or stamped anywhere on the new Ram trucks.

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Good on you for holding your ground, Hill’. That was brazen as hell for them to try that on you after so long a drive. If they don’t know how much a pissed off customer can cost them, they’re fi’nda find out!

It’s amazing how accommodating they can get a few hours before close of business on the last day o’ the month.

Enjoy your new ride,

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The 2019 Ram will ride smoother, get better fuel economy and have a quieter interior than that Toyota. I bought mine with the 5.7 in the Classic trim line new for 26K a few months ago.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
The 2019 Ram will ride smoother, get better fuel economy and have a quieter interior than that Toyota. I bought mine with the 5.7 in the Classic trim line new for 26K a few months ago.

Yeah, I think it was the dealer that made the deal go south, and not the pickup.

I had a Dodge dealer try that crap with me a few years ago. I walked out too. The reviews on the dealership are horrible. Evidently lots of people have been getting screwed there. Now a few years later, their business has dropped drastically.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

680 members (1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1minute, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 3,047 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,710
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.