Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Elvis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I never considered using the reticle to range distance though I've read Mule Deer several times using it. I seldom shoot past 200 metres and my longest shot on a deer was at 167 metres. That was in big wide open country after a chital stag (Axis). A belly crawl got me in for the shot. I'll happily use both types. I wouldn't let a wide duplex stop me from buying a scope. But good to hear others opinions.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by murkydismal
Thanks Elvis for stating truth.

Detractors are most likely repeating what they read on 24HCF.

FWIW, I too have the Wide Duplex, in about 8 Leupold fixed 4x and 6x, and have used them extensively for years with nary a hiccup.

Love me some WD! Best reticle out there.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm the odd man out who wouldn't mind seeing simple crosshairs offered as an inexpensive option. 99.999% of my shots fired are at black and white paper targets. The duplexes in a couple of scopes on my hunting rifles are ok, I wouldn't kick them out of bed for eating crackers, but I'm a couple-days-per-year deer hunter anymore and can't give a hoot about low light level aiming at deer because I don't care enough about it to get up and stumble around in the dark anymore, and I don't see myself shooting at such a distance as to employ a part of the reticle as a holdover device. If it's that far away I'll either try to get closer or go back home and have lunch instead. I paid my dues, been there got the t-shirt, etc. etc., it just ain't my thing anymore. Yet, I shoot a lot- a helluva lot- and a simple crosshair fills my needs entirely on said paper targets at 50, 100, and 200 yards. Yet another reason I gravitate toward vintage Unertls/Feckers/Lymans on my rifles- utter and complete simplicity with simple fine crosshairs with which to quarter a 3/4" white aiming point at 100 yards.

I know I'm lost in the shuffle, in a minority that barely registers on the scale. It's just me stating my needs/goals and what I perceive to be the best means possible for achieving them.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 02/26/20.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I'm the odd man out who wouldn't mind seeing simple crosshairs offered as an inexpensive option. 99.999% of my shots fired are at black and white paper targets. The duplexes in a couple of scopes on my hunting rifles are ok, I wouldn't kick them out of bed for eating crackers, but I'm a couple-days-per-year deer hunter anymore and can't give a hoot about low light level aiming at deer because I don't care enough about it to get up and stumble around in the dark anymore, and I don't see myself shooting at such a distance as to employ a part of the reticle as a holdover device. If it's that far away I'll either try to get closer or go back home and have lunch instead. I paid my dues, been there got the t-shirt, etc. etc., it just ain't my thing anymore. Yet, I shoot a lot- a helluva lot- and a simple crosshair fills my needs entirely on said paper targets at 50, 100, and 200 yards. Yet another reason I gravitate toward vintage Unertls/Feckers/Lymans on my rifles- utter and complete simplicity with simple fine crosshairs with which to quarter a 3/4" white aiming point at 100 yards.

I know I'm lost in the shuffle, in a minority that barely registers on the scale. It's just me stating my needs/goals and what I perceive to be the best means possible for achieving them.

gnoahhh, you and me seem to be in the same boat. A pretty leisurely boat at that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What IS a useful reticle....the Post duplex, it opens up the view above the aiming point, still giving you a lower reference mark for longer shots, though the spacing may be a bit different as I recall in a PD vs std. DPX.

The PD, #4, and #1 cover a LOT of ground for folks not shooting far enough to use a LRD or CDS, etc.

A standard DPX did the job for decades..........

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
65BR,

Yep.

The Wide Duplex has no advantage over plain crosshairs, which were abandoned by most scope manufactuers, except in low-priced rimfire scopes, by around 1970.

But I do know a very experience big game hunter who likes the "crosshairs" in the Wide Duplex because they're slightly "heavier" than the center crosshairs in the standard Leupold Duplex.

I'm obviously not the experienced hunter :), but I do prefer and use the heavy duplex on some rifles. There used to be a pretty good guy here who WAS a very experienced hunter (JJ Hack) who accurately explained the HD gave you a slight advantage in low light. I have the HD on two of my "african rifles), a 375 H&H and a 416 Rigby.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've found the heavy duplex to be useful, the wide duplex not so much.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Elvis: I never did warm up to the "wide Du-Plex" that Leupold offers but am a longtime and sincere advocate of the fine Du-Plex especially for longer range Hunting situations (both Varmint and big game).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
I am quite fond of the heavy duplex for hunting rifles. It may not be ideal for target shooting, but there are targets that accommodate it quite well.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by WoodsyAl
I am quite fond of the heavy duplex for hunting rifles. It may not be ideal for target shooting, but there are targets that accommodate it quite well.

A friend of mine has a Rem. Model 7 and he wanted a better (but still relatively trim) scope for his hunting than the one he inherited on it. I sold him a VX-III 1.75-6x32 with the heavy duplex and he's been very happy with it.

What you say about using the right target for testing and sight-in is very true.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
gnoahhh,

Like many here, you are delusional--not because you cannot comprehend the uses of all sorts of "special" reticles, but because there are plenty of plain-crosshair scopes already out there. Hell, I recently sold you one.

This is because crosshair reticles were the primary (almost only!) reticles offered for decades by American scope companies. If you want one, there are probably millions of pretty good scopes with crosshair reticles already out there.

Which is one reason most scope companies quit offering plain crosshair scopes: Any old fart who wanted one could buy one for, at most, $100.

This applies to a bunch of other shooting stuff as well. Not the $100, but the basic capitalistic principle.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman
I've found the heavy duplex to be useful, the wide duplex not so much.

Ditto. For my hunting in the dim rain forest where loggers grow moss on their chests, the thick heavy duplex is an advantage to my eyes. I am not the same league with folks who really know scopes, just know what works the easiest for me. Heavy outer reticle, narrow gap.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
On a varmint rig the fine duplex is nice.
Deer rigs a reg duplex, wide or standard.
Do not care for heavy duplex.
Lots of guys here put the heavy on slug guns and mzs.
They said they loved em
Hunted same crap as them, like a reg.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I won't disagree on the Heavy DPX being a useful reticle, and I successfully ran an M8 matte, 6x42 that was called a Heavy Duplex, IIRC, the 'Fine' part of the reticle was 1.1" at 100 yds.......it was VERY Bold and I dumped a buck at dark thirty one cloudy evening in heavy timber about 50 yds...it was very prominent, not that a standard duplex would not have worked.

Later, same rifle, a 700 Swede dropped an 8 pt WT at 110 paces, left handed...my weak side, just had to shoot that way. That same morning, I missed a doe earlier, around 300 yds that was facing directly away from me. I never felt great about that reticle after that hunt......where shots might be that distance.

I used a #4 in a 6x42 on another Buck at 275 yards....believe the fine part of that reticle was around .4" at 100 yds.

APPLICATION for one's personal style of hunting and shot opportunity will affect the suitability of a given reticle.

To me a variable reticle might be more useful at times than a variable zoom........JS. Not sure if anyone has yet to make that, but imagine if you could twist a knob and change from plex, to #4 to #1 to heavy plex, or LRD, etc. That sure would give one options when they change hunting locations, without changing rifles.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1minute, 1936M71, 73 invisible), 3,267 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,588
Posts18,454,274
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.