Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I don't like the RCBS, and my old Lee is about wore out. What is your favorite hand priming tool?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
A Lee is the only one I have ever used. It usually works well since Lee updated the small primer mechanism to one that is just a smaller version of the one used for large primers. Small primers will still sometimes flip inside the magazine, so you need to glance at it before loading a case into it so you won't seat one upside down or sideways. I've just learned to do that automatically. That just seems to be only with small primers. Large primers never give me any problems. Like I said, the Lee is the only one I have ever used and they are substantially cheaper than other brands I see advertised. I load for multiple calibers, so if I were to change to a different brand of priming tool, I would also need to buy all new priming tool shell holders. So, I just stay with Lee. It works and is a lot cheaper that changing to something else.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have tried a few others and the older round Lee is the best. I did not like the newer one with the square primer holder, and gave it away. I have not tried the ergonomic one with the square holder. I did not like the RCBS that I tried, but I think they have more than one model, and one is all that I tried.
A friend uses a bench mounted primer that uses a lever, but I do not know the brand. He has hand problems that preclude Him using a hand primer. I works well, but I still prefer my Old Lee. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use 4. I have both of the RCBS models. The one that uses shell holders is set up for large primers.
The one with universal jaws is set up for small primers. I also have a bench mounted Forster. The only problem is filling the primer tubes. Last but not least is a custom Lee set up for small rifle. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Anyone tried the Frankford Arsenal one? I read a bunch of reviews on it last night, they seemed pretty good.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No reason to switch from my old RCBS

Sam......

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've had round tray and square tray Lee's, RCBS that used shellholders, RCBS Universal, and Sinclair. I began using the 21st Century hand priming tool (one at a time, no primer magazine) a few years ago and don't miss any of the others, though the Sinclair is a close second to the 21st Century.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by mirage243
Anyone tried the Frankford Arsenal one? I read a bunch of reviews on it last night, they seemed pretty good.

That would be my pick if I needed one. I am still using a very old Lee Auto Prime.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

K&M

LC

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I love my old LEE Auto Prime, but arthritis in my thumbs is making it painful to use.

I recently purchased a bench mounted Lee priming tool which appears to be primarily shared technology with the Auto Prime. It looks promising, but I have not had a chance to try it out yet. I expect it to be a little slower than the original Auto Prime.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A

I have the adjustable Frankford Arsenal but haven't used it enough to know if Im going to like it, my 21st century hand primers is the best hand primer Ive ever used but has no tray and is single load one primer at a time , but I mostly use it for rifle loading, the Frankford Arsenal I purchased to use for priming 44 mag cases and a few other cartridges!

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J

After using both RCBS units and a Hornady, I recently bought the Frankford Arsenal unit and like it better than the others...

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by JGray

After using both RCBS units and a Hornady, I recently bought the Frankford Arsenal unit and like it better than the others...

Thank JGray

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Rcbs aps one is awesome but you have to load the strips which isn't too bad once you figure it out. I load 1000 in strips at a time.

Bb

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Gave up on the hand prime units. Arthritis sucks. Love the old RCBS bench primer I have owned for decades. It lived in a drawer for years now its all I use for rifle cases. The progressives handle all the hand gun rounds.
I'll say that the old Lee round tray design worked good for me, wore out 2 of them before they changed the design.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thanks for all the replies fellas, I ordered the Frankford Arsenal and it came in today. I'll put it through its paces in the next couple of days and let ya'll know. It is a sturdy built sumbeitch, I'll say that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The only tool I have any experience with, they don’t make anymore. The old round Lee Auto Prime. I’ve got two, one for small primers and one for large. I also ordered parts so I hope they last at least as long as I do.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all the replies fellas, I ordered the Frankford Arsenal and it came in today. I'll put it through its paces in the next couple of days and let ya'll know. It is a sturdy built sumbeitch, I'll say that.

Any updates here?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Buehler?

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Barney_Fife

Any updates here?

Yes sir, I REALLY like it, by far the best hand primer I have ever used. Easy on the hand, adjustable seating depth, quality made, come with all the shell holders. Very happy with it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
696 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,789 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,877
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.